Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #1396
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyblue View Post
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. This bike will make me a better rider! Cant wait to go to Death Valley

and..... when ever shes bad, I will have to throw her on the ground!

Now that the rain is gone, i can go ride

~Nancy

Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #1397
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

OK - how did you get around this!???

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #1398
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Sunday November 11th, San Philippe.

Posting here with the iPad Mini after sorting through my photos at a local coffee spot, with all the excitement of finally getting on the Baja 1000 course early in the day.
Excitement.

Not knowing what to expect with my last 2 times in Baja being quite a different experience then what I expected this time, hell I have no idea what to expect this time when the truth comes out.

We had the Winter Madness ride on Roadie the Roadster:

And the Debacle on the Big Red Pig before that, the trip being cut short.

Back in my room I had great company for the short time I was awake, being able to stare at my bike and daydream about what we were going to attempt to do - ride the course as fast as possible, survive (enjoy) the ride to LaPaz, get my favorite tacos at The Spot, then haul ass back north to catch The Race from a yet to be determined location where I could camp out along the course without any crowds nearby. I had 4 days, come Thursday morning The Race would begin for over a thousand racers.
My race started today.
Sleep came easy, I knew I was going to need my energy.
A few times throughout the night the sounds of race motors thundered around the motel courtyard waking me up, and probably added to the stressful dreams of running and running with trophy trucks breathing fire roaring up behind me in the dark….

The sun was out, adventure thick in the air…. too bad the restaurant workers didn't feel the same way I did - after sitting for a half hour waiting for one egg I left, not having the patience for the slightly more laid back service that is common south of the border. It was time to go south, my clock was ticking!

And I wasn't alone on the course with plenty of racers still pre-running. On one hand it made me pay close attention to what was behind me, right out of San Philippe the course started BAM!!! with miles and miles of big whoops, the kind a bike gets swallowed by if you don't keep up your speed. It was a slap into reality and a hell of a way to start, Baja was letting me know that this wasn't going to be easy and I was going to have to dig in deep with some extra determination to accomplish what I set out to do. BAM!!!
It was exciting, I love a challenge, and there was nothing to complain about. New territory for me.

Time and miles went by, with sections of the course opening up to places I could ride faster, I was settling into a pace that I was happy with, haling ass in places where I felt comfortable, slowing it down in places I needed to improve on my techniques. (miles of 3' whoops)
One thing was for certain, the Mighty Husaberg felt good. Real good. I had a decent amount of miles on it before this trip, we've bonded pretty well, but I started to feel things I hadn't felt before, like clues to pick up along the trail of how it wanted to be rode and things it liked and didn't like with my camping gear and new tires on it. For the most part, TMH (The Mighty Husaberg) liked to go - fast! The harder I pushed it the more stable it felt, especially when in rock gardens on on sand. Go fast, more throttle, don't die.

I was starting to gain more confidence as I realized a buggy was slowly gaining on me, I kept an eye on him and was having fun making dust and trying to stay ahead. He finally got close enough where I pulled over so he could pass and feeling cocky I just did my best to stay on his ass, just outside his dust trail on the side of the road. We went back and forth with him pulling ahead and me catching up for a few miles. Exciting times.
That's when It Happened.
I was maybe 50' behind him on section of the course that allowed a good fast pace, I was eating a lot of dust at this point and was basically blind besides following his tail light, a little beacon of yellow in the dust.
All of a sudden I see the buggy swap ends, sliding out in a cloud of dust and now facing backwards on the course, the navigator waiving wildly. I slammed on my brakes and came to a sudden stop not far from him. It all happened in the blink of an eye - or two.
Holy shit! The road we were on had a 50-75' canyon freshly carved across it, apparently they were building a bridge and this was new, me following the buggy didn't see it coming either…. No signs, the is Mexico.
He slid backward in a cloud of dust stopping 2 inches from the edge, with me right behind him!

I yelled out Don't Move, as I saw the ground crumbling and falling right behind his rear wheel.

I was so concerned about the buggy it took me a few minutes until I realized how close this was for me, and how bad it would have been to hit this going 60mph…

No time for those thoughts though, go fast, stay on the throttle and don't die.

The guys in the buggy didn't want any help, and after a few minutes I went on my way.

At this point I wasn't far from Gonzaga Bay and Alphanso's little restaurant where I have had a few very delicious meals on various trips. The fishing boats are right there, it's as fresh of seafood as you can get without catching it yourself. A good goal to ride to with a reward at the end. Plus having skipped breakfast and burning a whole lot of calories I was very hungry.
Life is good, and a little time to relax and think about The Course was enjoyable.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #1399
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633

RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #1400
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Having had a great meal, a full tank of gas and a quick stop at Coco's I was back on the course, making good time. Plenty of random crap you see in Baba, this was miles from the water…

I had been meeting folks along the way, many of them surprised I was out here solo, unsupported on the course. I thought it was perfect as I could ride at my pace, whatever that may be, and since there were others on the course it's not like I was on roads that might not have anyone on them for days or weeks. I looked at it like supervised solo riding, plus I had a DeLorme inReach two way satellite communicator.
every time I was starting to think I was badass and fast I was reminded by real racers coming by… :loll
the landscape slowly changed as I moving further south, the trail varying from rocks, gravel, more rocks, and some sand thrown in for fun.
Good times.

The first broken part of the trip, wanting to keep an eye on my 6 I left my mirrors out, problem is, especially in the two track sand sections is you have to ride in the ruts made by the 4 wheeled folks, and many times there's cactuses/tree's/brush in the way when you're riding on the outside like you're forced to do.
Down to one mirror now.
The shadows where getting longer, it gets dark very early here. Must> Go. South.
Must. Camp. On. Beach.

I like seeing the mile markers go by, especially this one.

The Mefo Super Explorer was doing well with predictable handling, I had high hopes this tire would last for the entire adventure and get me home.

I had been watching the map to see where the course would get near the sea, I blasted through Bay of LA only stopping for fuel, wanting to get another 50 miles south where the course met the sea. Lots of washouts on this road, it was the Trickster Road as I called it, you think it's wide open and you can haul ass, but there's more than one hidden wash that comes up real fast. More throttle, go fast, don't die.
The sun wasn't about to wait for me.
I made it to the coast to find a lonely palapas with not a soul for miles except the one guy who has a tiny house way down they way.
Perfect.

It was very windy, without the shelter it would have been less enjoyable. I worked hard today and this was my reward -an isolated beach, warm water to take a dip in and rinse off, some shelter from the wind and blowing sand along with a spectacular sunset!
Life is good.

No beer, Ramen noodles for dinner and while I did scrounge up some firewood, once the sun gave up her time on this side of the Earth the stars were so amazing I didn't even bother with a fire. Plus I was enjoying getting to know my new little camera and this was a cool place to be shooting.

Sleep came very easy, after a quick dip in the Sea of Cortez under the stars. I've not been down here this time of year before and was thrilled the water was far warmer than the air, bathwater warm. The sounds of the waves crashing, the wind blown sand popping off the tent, with Husaberg standing guard.
A perfect end to a solid day of Adventure Riding on my terms.

I awoke at the first hint of light coming up from the east and quickly got to work making coffee, while getting my camera ready for a morning of perfect lighting. There's never too many photos of my bike at sunrise on the beach in Mexico.

Cheers Nancy, the coffee was good, but would have been even better shared with you.

Way too much crap, but it all had a purpose and I was pleased to have a "home" to sort it all out for the repack. :loll

After some coffee, a quick bowl, I did what any self respecting ADV rider would do - Go for a high speed blast for miles down a completely pristine deserted beach!
Reliving the scene from the Dust to Glory movie where they cut over onto a beach just like this, tuck in, and go!
Racing against nobody sure is fun, I can't lose! lol

chanting:
I'm #1

I'm #1

I'm #1

(out of 1) lol

My only neighbor, miles down the beach and living off the grid out here. Interesting cat, was delighted when I gave him a pack of coffee and a few smokes. I didn't see any car of his so I'm assuming he depends of friends to bring him things he needs and can't get form the land and sea.

Time to ride south!

there had been a lot of rain and a hurricane down here this last month so Baja was greener than I had seen before.

With nowhere to put my camera I can't help but wish I was able to get into this shot myself, reminds of the one I took in Utah with a winding dirt road similar to this.

This aint Utah though.

Morning traffic.

hello jesus, thanks for looking out!

Perfect weather, no jacket needed. Blue skies, very little traffic on the course today. Starting to feel more LOST.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 02:20 PM
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #1401
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I remember that buggy story!

Crazyness.

D
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #1402
izzyblue
LOST

Oddometer: 61
Cheers darling.... BEAUTIFUL photos...
izzyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #1403
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

I had camped at about mile 440 on the course, just north of the 450 mile marker.
While I wasn't too sure where I'd be sleeping tonight but one thing was for sure, I wasn't going to have time to accomplish my goals if I stopped riding at sunset around 4:40PM, no matter how many miles I can cover during the day.

After a short break with lots of water getting sucked down to rehydrate I felt this determination and overwhelming need to push harder, to actually start committing myself even further to get to the end. Faster, I must go faster and stop less….

OK, then it's decided. I'm going to take more risks and stop screwing around.

Then there was silt.

OK, I've not really ridden in deep silt beds before, not something I wanted to do on my GS or R so all you more experienced riders just let me have my moment.

OK, then it's decided. I'm going to take more risks and stop screwing around.

Then there was silt.

Then there was silt.

Then there was silt.

Let me try to describe what it's like to ride through silt beds if you'll indulge me.

Take a huge loader, something like this:

Now go dig a hole about 75' long and 4' deep, make sure you zig-zag it a few times, wouldn't want a straight line.

Now, go get a big dump truck, something like this:

Then after you have a nice big long hole, and and big ole' dump truck, fill the dump truck with talcum powder until it's overflowing.

Now, dump that talcum powder in the big ole' hole you dug and spread it out, but not too evenly, we wouldn't want that now would we.

Pack you bike up with what you need for a week camping.

Go ride through it.

I don't have a good photo of the deep stuff, no way I was stopping or taking out my camera but this is a taste of it. So much for
OK, then it's decided. I'm going to take more risks and stop screwing around. :pond

It seems like a fine line of either not hitting it going fast enough, or when you go too fast it's like hitting a snowdrift where you almost go over the handlebars with the rear wheel off the ground. Not sure how I made it through, mostly I closed my eyes and twisted the throttle

There were a number of silt beds, some long, some short, some I could squeeze around at a pace that didn't mean death if I crashed.
Mostly though it started to wear on me, with my OK, then it's decided. I'm going to take more risks and stop screwing around newfound attitude.
At the time it sucked, I just wanted to get it over with, give me any kind of rocky road so I can pass more mile markers…. PLEASE!
Now that I look back at it, it was pretty cool to be out there alone in a battle to make it through challenges like that. You just have to depend on yourself, and trust you gear. I like that kind of thing.

I had crossed the peninsula and found myself in San Juanico looking for gas. I had it on my GPS there was gas here, but it wasn't of the normal Pemex flavor, luckily I found Camacho's and he had some very questionable pinkish red gasoline to sell me.
Smelled like gas mostly, hope it doesn't kill TMH.

I studied the map some more, trying to decide where I wanted to be when I slept tonight.
It was around a hundred miles to Loredo with a small mountain range in the middle to cross, I got gas at around 3:30, so a little more than an hour of sunlight left.
OK, Lareto it is, no camping so extra food needed for the night, I had snacks if I end up camping out, better I stayed as light as possible not knowing what's ahead.
Gas and water, that's all I need. Maybe.

I was happy to see wide open parts of the course ahead and took full advantage, heading due east with the Sun at my back, once again hopelessly racing the sun.

I could hear the race engine whining in the background but did my best to go faster, eventually these fellows caught up to me at a river crossing. These were the first guys to pass me in a long time, as it was getting closer to the race, people were done pre-running and less people were out there. Could turn into an interesting night if things go wrong, for now I was just having a blast.
I had passed through a few small towns today, and everywhere I went people and kids were lining the streets when I came through, mistaking me for a racer who's pre-running. High fives and cheers were common, and slightly embarrassing since I was after all just trail riding the course. What the hell, if I could ride a wheelie down main street and kids cheered it was fun for everyone, even if I was an impostor. My biggest mistake of the trip was not having any LOST or Freedom decals in time, they arrived at home the day after I left. Kids everywhere were always asking for stickers and I had none.

Once again I had lost against the sun, I just don't have what it takes I guess. Light was fading, shadows of the dark starting to dance about as I passed by.
Bring it on, I have a fancy scmancy handy dandy HID light on TMH and good eyes. I was still 50 miles out, but it was early and after all, OK, then it's decided. I'm going to take more risks and stop screwing around.

OK, with the sun completely gone, the darkness that came about with no moon was intense. The course had went from gravel roads to a trail that criss crossed a riverbed, the problem is there had been heavy heavy rains last month here that had done it thing and changed the terrain, washing away the road altogether in places and making the wash crossings sometimes very deep.
My headlight was pretty badass if I do think so myself, I had ridden into the night with it before like here on the Nevada TAT earlier this year (will get to that someday)

But the reality of the situation was that for trying to keep a good pace on these what one time long ago were called roads is a different story altogether than the TAT or paved roads.

The sometimes 3' deep rocky washout came up fast and with my headlight nothing more than a black hole. Sometimes I could fly over them, other times it was everything I could do to break as hard so as not to break my neck bouncing off of rocks.
This continued on for a while, the game of chicken with the course speed vs time vs sight. The little pink course marker ribbons were getting harder and harder to follow.

It was dark, I was alone, and finally LOST.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:52 PM
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #1404
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 832
Man, what a pleasant read with a morning cup of coffee
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #1405
izzyblue
LOST

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
OK - how did you get around this!???

Please please please let me live through this and I will promise to be a good girl from now on......

Looking back I still can't believe that was me. Determination, luck and a few HOLY SHITS later I managed to get through this and it was spectacular!

Short cuts and front row!

ROWHER here we come
izzyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #1406
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,730
Awesome post! What sort of new camera did you have?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #1407
Erik500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Great RR ! Fabulous pictures and you have a very pleasent writing style. Top notch stuff, so thank you for it !
Erik500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #1408
Oddball
Starting over

Oddometer: 138
You are the man. Thank you for all you posts.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #1409
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Verry nice.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #1410
DetoX68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Great adventure Finn