Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
keiji OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Euro vs USD - buy your goods now!

http://rt.com/business/239637-euro/

Half Jo-mamma - half serious.

Exchange rate is making some killer prices on some already very competitive prices from our dealers in the EU.
<$300usd for a pair of Sidi adventure gore-tex? Yes please.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,580
I'm waiting for Greece to pull out
Old 03-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Guitar1327
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Good luck finding deals in the US

Fair point, sir, but as a degreed Economist and an all around cheapskate I know that these opportunities almost never turn into savings for the domestic consumer. If you can find a means to take advantage of this opportunity here, please prove me wrong, but historically the surplus is collected by either the producer, the importer, or shared by both. Furthermore, the gross majority of products imported to the US which we purchase are based on contracts that are negotiated a year or better in advance. Add to this the fact that the type of products that I, and many here, would like to purchase are considered luxury goods which are often produced in lower quantity than demanded and the real winners are the exporters of these products. US consumers will be no worse off and US producers will see falling export potential.

Where the real savings can be seen will be in travel to these countries. If you purchase that shiny new BMW in Germany, you'll be buying it at a great price, just don't expect your local stealerships to pass along the savings to you.

Again, please disprove me, as I can think of plenty of German, Italian, and English goods that I simply can't live without!
Guitar1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
jphii
OK, now what?

Oddometer: 2,118
You don't really pay attention to prices around the world I'ma guessin.

SIDI Adventure Gore-Tex boots, biker-land.de:

$272.57 + about $30 shipping: http://biker-land.de/Motorcycle-Boot...Tex-boots.html

SIDI Adventure Gore-Tex boots, revzilla.com:

$550 shipped: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...gore-tex-boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1327 View Post
but as a degreed Economist....

Again, please disprove me....!

jphii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Dan Diego
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
http://rt.com/business/239637-euro/

Half Jo-mamma - half serious.

Exchange rate is making some killer prices on some already very competitive prices from our dealers in the EU.
<$300usd for a pair of Sidi adventure gore-tex? Yes please.
Just went to buy some Sidi ADV Gore-tex from Bikerland.

About $400 delivered.

And they're out of size 45.

Dang this weak dollar!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
jphii
OK, now what?

Size 44's delivered for under $310. Pulled the trigger the other day.

Edit: Just went and pulled the total I paid. $293.36 delivered (not yet, they are on the way).

Old 03-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Guitar1327
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
nice example

Congrats, JPHii, you found the same deal that the OP mentioned! Here's a link where they're even less expensive (albeit through a Canadian vendor whose currency has already stabilized).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sidi-Adventu...item3f412fdce4

Are there deals out there to be had if you can find an international vendor that you're willing to work with? Sure, there are, but these are the exception, not the rule. My experience is that the vast majority of goods are cheaper in the US than they are in the markets which they're produced due to higher protectionist tendencies on fine quality goods. Have you ever tried buying shoes in Italy or Spain? They levy enormous taxes on imported shoes to inflate the value of the domestically produced equivalents and thus protect their producers. The US does the same thing with a number of industries; sugar is one of the more glaring examples.

I crossed checked some of the other prices they have on that website and they're almost all in line with US Ebay prices... but if it makes you feel better, great! We all like a deal.
Guitar1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphii View Post

$272.57 + about $30 shipping: http://biker-land.de/Motorcycle-Boot...Tex-boots.html

Annnnnddddddd......jp for the win....
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
keiji OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Fair point, sir, but as a degreed Economist and an all around cheapskate I know that these opportunities almost never turn into savings for the domestic consumer. If you can find a means to take advantage of this opportunity here, please prove me wrong, but historically the surplus is collected by either the producer, the importer, or shared by both. Furthermore, the gross majority of products imported to the US which we purchase are based on contracts that are negotiated a year or better in advance. Add to this the fact that the type of products that I, and many here, would like to purchase are considered luxury goods which are often produced in lower quantity than demanded and the real winners are the exporters of these products. US consumers will be no worse off and US producers will see falling export potential.

Where the real savings can be seen will be in travel to these countries. If you purchase that shiny new BMW in Germany, you'll be buying it at a great price, just don't expect your local stealerships to pass along the savings to you.

Again, please disprove me, as I can think of plenty of German, Italian, and English goods that I simply can't live without!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphii View Post

The internet dissolves all borders
Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
Dan Diego
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Here's a link where they're even less expensive (albeit through a Canadian vendor whose currency has already stabilized).

We all like a deal.
Oh, c'mon! Now you're just showing off!

(Though they don't have size 45 in stock, either.)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
RedlegDaddy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Wow, 44's delivered for $292.38!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
keiji OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Congrats, JPHii, you found the same deal that the OP mentioned! Here's a link where they're even less expensive (albeit through a Canadian vendor whose currency has already stabilized).

Are there deals out there to be had if you can find an international vendor that you're willing to work with? Sure, there are, but these are the exception, not the rule. My experience is that the vast majority of goods are cheaper in the US than they are in the markets which they're produced due to higher protectionist tendencies on fine quality goods. Have you ever tried buying shoes in Italy or Spain? They levy enormous taxes on imported shoes to inflate the value of the domestically produced equivalents and thus protect their producers. The US does the same thing with a number of industries; sugar is one of the more glaring examples.

I crossed checked some of the other prices they have on that website and they're almost all in line with US Ebay prices... but if it makes you feel better, great! We all like a deal.
It's very clear that ebay ad is also coming from Germany, and I would argue that with the lack of a true local vendor to provide additional value-add, it is no different if I buy it from California, or buy it from Germany, when they are both made in Italy!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #13
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,520
Anyone got a handle on a Euro-revzilla?

I'm actually looking for a BMW Atlantis...but my google-fu is weak.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.

BMW-K screwed with this post 03-12-2015 at 08:52 PM
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:47 AM   #14
jphii
OK, now what?

Quote:

Canadian vendor? Did you read the ad?

And again, if you read those ads there is not one US vendor even close in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
It's very clear that ebay ad is also coming from Germany, and I would argue that with the lack of a true local vendor to provide additional value-add, it is no different if I buy it from California, or buy it from Germany, when they are both made in Italy!
I'm not sure about keiji, but I'm not a "degreed economist". One thing he and I both have in common is the ability to read.

I wish this was in the basement

Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #15
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I'm waiting for Greece to pull out
That's what she said......