Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #136
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
those extra feet would ruin the Monarch for me - the best thing about it is selecting whatever angle of recline you want, and being able to gently rock back and forth with just a slight roll of the heel.

Soothing.
One other nice thing about the 2-legged version is being able to sit comfortably on a reasonably steep slope. Arrived late at some outdoor concerts and been able find spots on a hill with good viewing and lots of real estate while people were claiming flat ground hours before and still had to deal with tight confines.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #137
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
One other nice thing about the 2-legged version is being able to sit comfortably on a reasonably steep slope. Arrived late at some outdoor concerts and been able find spots on a hill with good viewing and lots of real estate while people were claiming flat ground hours before and still had to deal with tight confines.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #138
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post

Not bad, not bad..... but on a bike, packed size and weight account for a lot too.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #139
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Not bad, not bad..... but on a bike, packed size and weight account for a lot too.

If the weight and size of a Kermit chair is overloading your bike, I'll bet there are more than a couple of other items that should be rethought or left at home.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #140
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

I'm an ultralight type, arguably mimimalist, and will camp with only my 2 hard case saddle bags and a tankbag. My "house" fits in one saddlebag and weights in ~ 11 lbs (roughly: 4 lbs tent, 4 lbs bag/pad/chair, 3 lbs kitchen). A 5 lbs Kermit would not fit in well with that.

I also RV camp... out of a campervan. For that, I'll use a Pico, which seems to be around the same volume but twice as heavy, but I like it since it packs and unpacks in literally 3 seconds.

Nothing against the Kermit, it looks very comfortable, but it not small/light enough on one side, and too fiddly to deploy on the other side..... for me.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #141
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
If the weight and size of a Kermit chair is overloading your bike, I'll bet there are more than a couple of other items that should be rethought or left at home.
You tell THAT to my wife.............
Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #142
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
My "house" fits in one saddlebag and weights in ~ 11 lbs (roughly: 4 lbs tent, 4 lbs bag/pad/chair, 3 lbs kitchen).
can you detail your 3 lb kitchen?
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #143
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo View Post
can you detail your 3 lb kitchen?
I'm not a cooker so the bulk of that weight is freeze-dried or canned food for a couple of meals if get hung up in the rain or something. At camp, I'll typically eat a breakfast of instant oatmeal and fruit with freeze-dried Starbucks and Coffeemate, but I generally try to eat lunch and dinner on the road. I use a Jetboil, Light My Fire spork, and paper cups/bowls/plates. Also always take a Sea To Summit 10L collapsible bucket for extra water at camp, grabbing a shower from a stream or lake, and for a swimming raft.

Snapper screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 08:38 PM
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #144
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
I just ordered a Walkstool. Looking forward to checking it it out. Ever since I made the switch to soft panniers, I've had no where to sit.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #145
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,290
Quote:
I love my Kermit, but it is bulkier, heavier, and more trouble to setup/teardown than some of these newer/more-high-tech designs. When you're trying to pack a light kit, everything counts, and there is no single item that "overloads" your bike - they all extract their weight/bulk toll.

For trips where I want to pack lighter, I currently go with the Trilite or a sling chair that uses my sleeping pad. Neither is ideal... the Trilite has no back support and the sling chair has one down on the ground and requires a conversion operation back to a mattress at bed time. I'm seriously tempted by this Helinox, but do I really need four chairs for the three or four days a year I camp? I guess you can say the same for the six bikes I own though.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #146
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
Gee - I like that chair! No wider than my tail plate. No problem if get wet because it's not canvas. At that price it's quite a bit cheaper than my Kermit. Maybe I buy one and sell my Kermit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabino View Post
We just bought the Heliniox by Big Agnus, only available on their website. https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...y/HelinoxChair
It weighs two pounds, holds 320lbs, packs the size of a football, and is a full chair. Used it a few times so far, we love it. It is 14"x4"x5". Pricey, but worth it.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #147
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I know the Kermit chair is a huge win around here. And i'm not going to lie, its pretty awesome. But its over kill for a lot of people.

I have an A-Lite Monach

It allows me to kick back without really carrying much in the way of weight. They make a 4 leg model for the less coordinated / extra drunk members =)
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #148
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Gee - I like that chair! No wider than my tail plate. No problem if get wet because it's not canvas. At that price it's quite a bit cheaper than my Kermit. Maybe I buy one and sell my Kermit.

I will take my Kermit . Hard to beat at rallies . I carry a lot bigger chair for rafting .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #149
VerticalTwin
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Hi All
New to forum but not to traveling by bike. At the Vermont Norton Rally this July I took along an Alite chair from MEC and all who sat in it to test was impressed of how comfy it is. Great for bikes with minimum storage space and makes your camp a pleasure. Its about 12" long for length when all folded up and stowed in bag.
Cheers,
Tom
vt
VerticalTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #150
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Is it reasonably study ??
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote