User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #211
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,433
Helinox for us

Received 2 Helinox last Friday and enjoyed our first Thanksgiving at my daughters and her fiances place. We all used both chairs all weekend in the living room. Very comfortable and light. Packs really small.
(Yes, I have used the Kermit but cannot justify the cost for 2 or the space/weight required.)

It even gets endorsement from our navigator...............

I am 230# and my wife is 125#. These chairs are sturdy and I had tested one in soft ground and found it to be stable.

GS Addict screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 09:21 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #212
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Those Helinox chairs look great but rather flimsy. The previous poster seems to weigh 230 lbs and the chair survived. Has anyone a bit bigger sat on these things without a problem?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #213
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
I have the alite 2 ledger. I love it. it's so small and light, I can take it out of my Givi 41 little side door and pop it back in without having to open the whole bag. I use it a lot. I will pull over and make my oatmeal or my pb/ banana Sammy and just chill,nosh and watch the world go by in comfort.

and I like the rocking motion if I so choose. you can"t really relax on a picnic table. It takes all of 2 seconds to set it up as well.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #214
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Those Helinox chairs look great but rather flimsy. The previous poster seems to weigh 230 lbs and the chair survived. Has anyone a bit bigger sat on these things without a problem?
i have those chairs for the g/f and i... the guy at REI said up to 250# is what they are rated for... i'm below 200 so i'm guwd... they do look flimsy and do wiggle a little but so far they have held up. plus with that 20% coupon from REI right now they are definitely worth a shot. they only weigh around 2lbs too which makes them very good for motorcycle camping.
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #215
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 185
Found this thing in a dumpster last year. Looks like it is from the 80's and never been used. Surprisingly comfortable for something a little over a foot tall, and doesn't seem to mind my 200lb ass. Can't seem to find out anything on it; all it says is "Hideon" and "made in Japan"

Untitled by J B (jmjb) on 500px.com
Untitled by J B

Untitled by J B
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #216
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
Found this thing in a dumpster last year. Looks like it is from the 80's and never been used. Surprisingly comfortable for something a little over a foot tall, and doesn't seem to mind my 200lb ass. Can't seem to find out anything on it; all it says is "Hideon" and "made in Japan"

Untitled by J B

Untitled by J B

That looks very well constructed!
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #217
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Has anyone used a "childs" size beach chair, the type with the standard aluminum tubed frame with webbing?

I'm thinking it can be even used inside a tent because it's tubing won't puncture through the tent floor. You can also use it as a base on your rack to increase the surface area for packing.

Of course this would only work for us riders with small butts

Ron W.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #218
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 947
I'm an atheltic guy... 175, bout 5-11. I sat on one of those in a store thinking the same thing. It sank, not fast, but not too slowly, all the way down the floor. The way a clothing hanger bends when you pull on it.

I left the store quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Has anyone used a "childs" size beach chair, the type with the standard aluminum tubed frame with webbing?

I'm thinking it can be even used inside a tent because it's tubing won't puncture through the tent floor. You can also use it as a base on your rack to increase the surface area for packing.

Of course this would only work for us riders with small butts

Ron W.
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #219
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I haven't read through the whole thread, but I'll give a shout out to the Camp Time Roll-A-Stool. It's a really simple design, but very sturdily built. I had a cheaper version once that I got from Big 5, but it was low to the ground, had skinny legs that would sink into any soft dirt, and it started to fall apart quickly after I got it. Picked up the Camp Time and it's been smooth sailing ever since. It folds up to be about 18" long, which fits perfectly alongside a tent. I've also seen plenty of 250+ lb guys use them without issue. I haven't tried the Roll-A-Chair version with the backrest, but I imagine it would be built with similar quality.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #220
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
That Helinox is rated for 325lbs. Plus, it's light and tiny. Very tempting.

I have GCI Pico right now that's been fine, except it's rated at 250lbs and I weigh 280. It's held up, but if I can get something that packs a lot smaller, that Helinox might be the ticket. Very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider.... View Post
i have those chairs for the g/f and i... the guy at REI said up to 250# is what they are rated for... i'm below 200 so i'm guwd... they do look flimsy and do wiggle a little but so far they have held up. plus with that 20% coupon from REI right now they are definitely worth a shot. they only weigh around 2lbs too which makes them very good for motorcycle camping.

The rides I've done and want to do.
Buster452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #221
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster452 View Post
That Helinox is rated for 325lbs.
What looks like the same chair is rated by REI at 250, probably reflecting their relatively generous warranty and return privileges. While I didn't break the chair as a test, I thought it was very marginal at my 220-lb weight. I can't imagine someone 325 sitting in this thing.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #222
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
What looks like the same chair is rated by REI at 250, probably reflecting their relatively generous warranty and return privileges. While I didn't break the chair as a test, I thought it was very marginal at my 220-lb weight. I can't imagine someone 325 sitting in this thing.

- Mark
I think that they will take the weight if you enter and exit gingerly but have read that where they fail is when you use a twisting motion i.e.: trying to reach something behind you.
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #223
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 947
REI branded Helinox

Looks like REI has undercut BA, or possibly bought out their design:

http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

I can't see any difference from the Helinox, except its $65 rather than $80 +
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #224
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I have the REI version. I'm at 205 and it holds me well. Liked it so much I got one for my daughter and son-in-law.
Fits into a bag and opens/folds up in a no time.
I like the idea of sitting in a chair rather than on a stool.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #225
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,767
I've got the new Alite Mantis 4 legged one and love it, much nicer than the Monarch.

I've had a good look at the Helinox at the local outdoor store and if money is close I'd stick with the Alite and the aluminum connector hubs for the legs over the ABS ones on the Helinox. They look and feel sturdier but in real world use there might not be much difference.