Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #226
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I've got the new Alite Mantis 4 legged one and love it, much nicer than the Monarch.

I've had a good look at the Helinox at the local outdoor store and if money is close I'd stick with the Alite and the aluminum connector hubs for the legs over the ABS ones on the Helinox. They look and feel sturdier but in real world use there might not be much difference.
I'm looking at both the Mantis and the Helinox (or REI copy) - the Mantis looks to have a taller back and bigger overall seat, but also a lower seat height (harder to get up out of). Could you tell any difference?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #227
jenshenrik
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I received the 70 Helinox Chair One from ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk last week.
Wow! Some chairs are "Nice to have" but this chair is "Need to have"... : :)

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co....chair_one.html

jenshenrik screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 06:08 AM
jenshenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #228
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,259
Got me one of the REI Flex chairs today. Last one in stock at the Long Island, NY store at Carle Place. Color is Olive Oil, I call it Light Pukey Green. Very comfortable, takes 2 mins to erect or take down. A tight fit stuffing it back in the travel bag. Nice small package and light. I love it. Bought for motorcycle adventure, might even take it on bicycle tour if load permits.

Price was $64.95 and I used my $20 dollar discount card to get total price with tax to $50.00 All in all a very satisfying experience. I wanted the Alite Mantis, but hard to find online and getting expensive....nice to get the REI guarantee though.

Kermit guys can bite me if they aren't too old to get out of their dinosaur chairs

Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #229
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Gander mountain

Found a three leg with a backrest at GM. Has 'Bone collector' on it. Comfortable on a recent camping trip. 4lbs. $17.
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #230
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Looks like REI has undercut BA, or possibly bought out their design:
Bought a Helinox a month back. The cost wouldn't be any different here but I'm now gutted cos I could have had one in orange That REI one does look to have a slightly simpler fabric construction though.

The Helinox actually looks more solid in the flesh than the pics might suggest, seems plenty solid for my 160lb anyway. It packs smaller & is about the same weight as the wee 3 legged stool it replaces, but is hugely more comfortable. I also really like the way it strikes a balance between comfort & stability both sitting up & leaning forward a bit (as when preparing a meal) & when kicked back & relaxing.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #231
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
found a cheapy and a goody at a big camping shop sort of near me, only $12
(i'd be buggered finding it online, as it doesn't have a brand or anything)

steel frame, you pull the base together and it locks, making straps on the side taught
and amazingly only 680 grams

damn comfortable for how small it is
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #232
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
About the REI chair I got the same 20% discount seems like a good chair . It is not as strong as my Kermit but it's a lightweight chair and that's what I was looking for. I will still use the Kermit when weight isn't as much of a factor .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #233
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxyb View Post
found a cheapy and a goody at a big camping shop sort of near me, only $12
(i'd be buggered finding it online, as it doesn't have a brand or anything)

steel frame, you pull the base together and it locks, making straps on the side taught
and amazingly only 680 grams

damn comfortable for how small it is
That looks great; small pack size, quick setup and it looks really sturdy for the weight. I'd take that over a $12 camping chair any day of the week!

I hate the cheap camping chairs with a passion. Even when they're on offer, 2 for 1 and cost peanuts, so you can treat them as disposable items and junk them as soon as they show any sign of wear, that's no good when they break in the middle of the first evening miles from anywhere and you've carried it all that way and now have no chair; just have some heavy rubbish to carry out.

The pack size is rubbish too; even if they're not that bulky, the shape invariably means you have to mount them on your bike outside any hard luggage. This really sucks when the rest of your kit fits in the panniers/top box.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #234
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
If you carry a Thermarest or Ridge Rest sleeping pad, these are about as light and packable an accessory as you can get.

No legs, but these things are comfortable and offer good back support. They're made to work with the Thermarest, but I got tired of the damn things deflating, so I use a Ridge Rest now, and can attest they work equally well with those. They even work with the cheap foam pads from Dick's.

CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #235
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,561
I have 4 Kermitt chairs, two that are 20ish years old 2 that are 15ish and have never had a problem with any of them. Camping, soccer games, beach... raised my kids in them. Your back and butt will thank you.

I was at a football game and started to put my Kermitt together and some guy walks up and says "you must ride a BMW MC" i was in my truck. HUH? "you have one of those Kermitt chairs, only BMW Riders have those things" well learn somethiing new every day. "those chairs are the rolls royce of chairs"

Best "investment" you'll ever make in MC gear. Just take a look at what used ones sell for, if you can find one.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #236
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
just did a quick search and found an ebay version, for anyone who was interested

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Colorful-...060a537&_uhb=1
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #237
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
I have 4 Kermitt chairs, two that are 20ish years old 2 that are 15ish and have never had a problem with any of them. Camping, soccer games, beach... raised my kids in them. Your back and butt will thank you.

I was at a football game and started to put my Kermitt together and some guy walks up and says "you must ride a BMW MC" i was in my truck. HUH? "you have one of those Kermitt chairs, only BMW Riders have those things" well learn somethiing new every day. "those chairs are the rolls royce of chairs"

Best "investment" you'll ever make in MC gear. Just take a look at what used ones sell for, if you can find one.
I bought another Kermit a few months ago. Having one of them is just not enough

I have a good riding buddy that is 20 years older than me that has 6 of them
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #238
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Hey Ebay has Kermit chairs for $96 LINK

Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #239
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 388
Pico Chair.

I have been using this for years now..bought at Costco for 40$ but have seen them for 100$+

Very sturdy directors chair and fits on bike like a dream, a tad heavy for weight concerned but I wanted comfort at end of long day....I had on back seat of M109R and you would never know.

[IMG][/IMG]

Measurements: 20"L x 23"W x 35"H
Folds to: 20"L x 13"W x 4"H
Seat height: 17"
Weight: 12 lbs.
Capacity: 300 lbs
Available Color: Blue & Gray
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #240
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

I bought my first 2 for $55 each in Daytona, a dealer was dropping the line and blew them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
I bought another Kermit a few months ago. Having one of them is just not enough

I have a good riding buddy that is 20 years older than me that has 6 of them