Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #271
ak bike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I have the Alite Monarch chair. Checked it out at REI Anchorage. Had a REI employee demonstrate it for me . Didn't want to embarrass myself by falling over or not being able to get up out of it. I was 79. :0) . Now 82 and have about 40 days using it and still very satisfied with the lightness and comfort of it . Great in the camp site and use it for reading in my 3 man "scratch that " 3 person tent . This new world has passed me up . Looking to a trip next summer with the chair . If it works for you that is what we are looking for .

ak bike screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 10:18 PM
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #272
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Finally got to try my Exped Chairkit (like the Thermarest kits; this converts a sleeping mat into a chair). Very comfortable and holds you higher off the ground than I had anticipated. Packs small and light enough that I'll actually carry it. Fits my Exped 9 DLX perfectly as you'd expect. I think my standard Thermarest will be too thin to work well with it, but I'm hoping it will also work with my NeoAir Trek (provided it's not fully inflated).

The only downside I have found so far is that the way it folds, part of what would normally be the 'top' of your rollmat is the part that touches the floor. This isn't a problem inside a tent with a groundsheet, but when sitting outside (or in my Tipi) it means you then have to sleep on the bit that has been on the ground. Not a big deal, but if the floor is very wet/muddy (as it often is hear), it means you need to carry a black bin bag/similar as a mini-groundsheet for the chair.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #273
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,019
I liked the light weight, compact size, strength, comfort, and fast setup of the Helinox One chair. What my knees did not like was the 13" seat height.

With the addition of some aluminum tubing and 3D printed "Big Feet" I now have a chair that weighs 2.5 lbs, packs tightly, [probably] won't sink into soft surfaces, and has a 17" seat height!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #274
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I liked the light weight, compact size, strength, comfort, and fast setup of the Helinox One chair. What my knees did not like was the 13" seat height.

With the addition of some aluminum tubing and 3D printed "Big Feet" I now have a chair that weighs 2.5 lbs, packs tightly, [probably] won't sink into soft surfaces, and has a 17" seat height!

Very Cool! So - what ID/OD tubing, and how much do you weigh?

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #275
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,019
I weigh 240.

Used 6061 5/8" OD 0.509" ID tubing - it was $37 for 6 feet at McMaster, not sure about locally.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #276
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
After doing the research I decided on the Kermit Chair. I didn't get to sit in any of them so no true comparison. I know the Kermit is expensive but I really look at it as a close to life time investment with proper care.

My opinion-
Packs nice.
Easy set up.
Very well made.
Sit comfortably (Most important)

I love this chair. My wife thought it was too much money to spend on a chair until.............she sat in it.

Set up in front of camp.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #277
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post

At 6-2 and 200lbs, I love my Helinox chair! I sold my Kermits.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #278
Married Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
REI, $70, light small, comfortable.
Doug
Married Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #279
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Got me one of the REI Flex chairs today. Last one in stock at the Long Island, NY store at Carle Place. Color is Olive Oil, I call it Light Pukey Green. Very comfortable, takes 2 mins to erect or take down. A tight fit stuffing it back in the travel bag. Nice small package and light. I love it. Bought for motorcycle adventure, might even take it on bicycle tour if load permits.

Price was $64.95 and I used my $20 dollar discount card to get total price with tax to $50.00 All in all a very satisfying experience. I wanted the Alite Mantis, but hard to find online and getting expensive....nice to get the REI guarantee though.

Kermit guys can bite me if they aren't too old to get out of their dinosaur chairs

Hey, I resemble that remark ! My wife bought me a Kermit as a Xmas present years ago...had my name embroidered on it along with the Moto Man. Great chair, especially with the leg extensions. I can never get rid of it under the " circumstances ". But nothing wrong with adding to the fleet ! I picked up the REI chair several months ago and can't wait to try it out. The Kermit with extensions weighs in at almost 10lbs while the REI is about a lb and a 1/2. And that difference is important.....I'm trying everything I can to keep the weight of the GS down as I get older... and it gets taller..... and I get shorter Now, about the " bite me " remark............

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #280
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,911
So, rather than a Helinox - I got one of the REI copies, Flex Lite. I have sat in a Helinox, and the Flex Lite is very similar. But on both of these, the upper frame coincides with my shoulder blades. Not horrible, but notable.

So I recently found a good deal on an Alite Mantis.

Much bigger seating area, and no pressure points. Very comfy, but lower and more reclined:

The Flexlite has 9" of height (with my 220lbs in it), and I can easily get my weight over my feet and get up out of it.

The Mantis sits at 5", and requires a bit of struggle to escape.

Both of these chair frames are 1/2" OD tubing, but the Mantis is thicker walled, and in fact has the ends turned down where they go together.

The Flexlite "hubs" just slip onto the crossbar, but the Mantis is keyed. Makes no difference until you kick back on two legs.

The "highrise" legs on garandman's Helinox work well with the stock hub angles - but the Mantis is more splayed out and would also require new hubs as well as new legs - may as well make a whole new frame.

13' of 1/2x.083 6061 - about $60, plus hub material = the cost of the chair.

Just gonna enjoy them stock for a while.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #281
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
At 6-2 and 200lbs, I love my Helinox chair! I sold my Kermits.
Whatever makes you comfortable. So far my Kermit has kept me in camping (and sometimes around the house) comfort for 15 years.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #282
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Whatever makes you comfortable. So far my Kermit has kept me in camping (and sometimes around the house) comfort for 15 years.
Agreed. At least the Kermit doesn't get your neck into the turtle-like forward bent like most of the UL chairs. That's where my main comfort issues are with pretty much all camping chairs.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #283
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
I have a Kermit with leg extensions .
It is a great chair . Sturdy as can be . Had it for several years . It is one of the first ones manufactured after they started making them in the States again .
Now and again I go light and take the REI longer leg chair , which is comfortable .
I adjust my gear to what suits the ride that I am going to be on .
I have been at it long enough to have a good selection of gear to choose from .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #284
pathlesstaken
n00b

Oddometer: 2
REI flex lite chair fix

Got a REI flex lite after reading all the reviews. Lite the forum said, the feet are small and bullet shaped so they sink in really bad in soft ground and make the chair tippy. Easy fix. Wally world had rubber chair tips, 3/4 inch fit perfectly, pack of 4 cost $1. They are heavy duty and fit snug and press on easily. These tips greatly increase each foot size and are more blunt and square so they don't sink so easily. Can leave them on and chair still fits back into carry sack. Have not sunk into this sand anymore.
pathlesstaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #285
pathlesstaken
n00b

Oddometer: 2
REI flex lite chair fix

Got a REI flex lite after reading all the reviews. Lite the forum said, the feet are small and bullet shaped so they sink in really bad in soft ground and make the chair tippy. Easy fix. Wally world had rubber chair tips, 3/4 inch fit perfectly, pack of 4 cost $1. They are heavy duty and fit snug and press on easily. These tips greatly increase each foot size and are more blunt and square so they don't sink so easily. Can leave them on and chair still fits back into carry sack. Have not sunk into this sand anymore.
pathlesstaken is offline   Reply With Quote