More to come...

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #2807
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Great spot for the tag. Contemplating a ride for the grab this weekend. 1,121 miles from my current location and another 350 miles to my destination from the campground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4lho View Post
Hold that thought......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
More to come...

You must be related to Elliot Ness! Nice Grab!

That's some good Ginger Ale, isn't it?

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #2808
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,075
An eggtastic ride

Egg was thirsty when I arrived. While he was drinking his Blenheims ginger ale, I filled up with water out of the spring. Egg was very happy to finish off the entire bottle but not before I had a sip or too. He said it was yummy delicious and I agreed.

After I took this shot, my camera decided it wanted some water too, so it went swimming. I told it that electronics and water don't mix, but it didn't listen. In it went before I could stop it. Kerplunk. Uggh. Good thing I had a cell phone with me as a backup.

Before we set out I asked Egg which direction I should drive, where he wanted to go. Egg said that he had seen the Sandblast Rally sticker that kg4lho had added to the case and wanted to go experience some sand. What could I do but oblige by taking Egg for a ride in the Sandhills of NC.

We started out slow but Egg said that he wanted to go fast. And fast we went, topping out at a cool 105 mph in the dirt (far faster than we went on the tarmac). Egg had a Sand blast riding fast, and so did I. We didn't know where we were going, just followed the roads as they came up.

I tried to take a video of our sandhill fun but had trouble holding the phone in one hand, the handlebars in the other, and navigating the loose stuff at the same time, so I gave up. Would have been a great day for a helmet cam.

At one point we stopped to look at the remnants of an old building.

But night was coming and after we'd had our fill of the sand and long leaf pine forest we decided it was time to figure our way out of the dirt highway and head to the Nut Hut for dinner.

It was an uneventful ride north to the Raleigh/Durham metropolis. Upon arrival, the Nut Huts mistress of magnificent meals had a Mimosa and Dinner waiting for us. Egg is rather full right now and he has drank all of the Champagne so it's bed time for him but not before he takes his hot tub.

More adventures for Egg on tap for tomorrow...

Flashback screwed with this post 07-10-2011 at 08:06 PM
Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 AM   #2809
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Egg woke me up early, decided he wanted to grab the TriTOR before breakfast...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post16365701

On the way back we stopped at the local general store/eatery "Pauls" to grab a down home southern breakfast with the Bubbas. Place was uber busy so we didn't hold up the line by grabbing photos. Will probly go back later to get some bait and take Egg fishing on the Neuse river.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #2810
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Egg update

So egg spent yesterday in the lab with me but first we took a post-ride massage from our favorite local therapist. She's a rider herself, offers a 20% discount for motorcyclists, and supports ADVers. There are a couple of us local who use her to work out the kinks after a ride.

The lab was kind of deserted, being summer time and all, but egg wanted to work on some faunal analysis so I had him sorting shells with me. I let him go through the reference collection first.

Then it was on to the real work...classifying the remains.

He was pretty good at it but got bored quickly by the seemingly endless pieces of shell. So we moved onto a little paleo botanical analysis. He was intrigued by the microscope and was pretty good at keying out the pollen spores.

However egg really wanted to experience the cool things we do like dealing with morturary remains and constructed artifacts. I figured he'd like the pottery and I was right. He totally got into that.

He wanted his picture taken with the skulls.

He became quick friends with Rosco too.

And he dug the photos from this summers excavations...

Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #2811
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Today started out in usual Nut Hut style with coffee and a walk in the gardens.

Egg sat and contemplated life at the fish pond with Buddah.

He then helped weed and water the veges.

And for the rest of the day // into the night he'll be helping me work on my research into the dispersion and spread of coconuts across the Pacific from SE Asia to the Americas.

Tomorrow he'll be joining us for the weekly ADVRider Wednesday lunch at "A Gracious Plenty" in RTP.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #2812
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

The eggs lunch

Egg came out to the Durham/RTP Wednesday ADV lunch at A Gracious Plenty in RTP today to eat with the locals.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365943

It was a little hot in the triple digits. Bike thermometer topped out @ 104 degrees.

After we arrived he said hello to Mick and wanted to stay behind the counter but changed his mind when we told him we had an outdoor table all lined up.

Special this week is Barbecue. He got the pulled pork Barbecue sandwich but the food at AGP is good no matter what's on the menu.

He hung out for a while and got to know some of the other FFs in the area.

Then it was off to the local BMW shop to pic up service supplies and begin scheduled maintenance in preparation for eggs next journey to the drop spot. Egg hasn't decided where he is going yet but several inmates have already made suggestions. Eggs hoping to get back on the road by the weekend but the bike is more than two thousand miles past it's service interval already and also needs a new front tire (current ones @ wear bars). We'll be working on the maintenance this afternoon and get egg back on the road as soon as we can.

Flashback screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 12:46 PM
Old 07-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #2813
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,071
Don't everyone jump in here all at once. You guys sure have been quite lately.

Flashback, I like your write ups. Go Eggy, Go!

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #2814
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,784
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #2815
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,768
The egg must like the eats of the NC group. Twice now I have been a part of a meal where Egg has shown up to enjoy the company and the food. Good to see it again.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #2816
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,492
eggy eggy eggy... come to th' wet side - we haz cookies!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #2817
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Well egg had a good day in Raleigh. We went to see Harry Potter 7 in 3D in a special advanced screening. Egg indulged in the complimentary concessions and had fun with his swag bag.

Hey that's not a pic from inside the theater is it? Egg had a special seat all to himself.

When the movie let out we were greeted with a free concert and beach band...egg joined in some Carolina Shag.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #2818
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Prepping Egg for his next journey

Getting him ready...tagged Egg with the dremel and added a couple things to the swag bag.

---> I also replaced the USB Drive. The one in the Tag Bag was having some connection issues...required that it be held in position to stay connected to the computer.

Working on mapping out a route to the drop spot...

Flashback screwed with this post 07-14-2011 at 08:31 PM
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #2819
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,555
Woo-Hoo...great job there Flash!!!

did EGGy eat all your popcorn??? he made such a mess at my place.

I'll keep 'Egging' you on from out here!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #2820
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Protocol quesions

Thanks for the egging-on!

Couple questions:

1) Don't need to update the tag map but the readme requests a replacement/update to the newest version from the forum. Where can I find that?

2) Same thing with the tag list -> the one on the USB hasn't been updated in over a month. Where do I find these in the forum?

3) Do we want to consider moving to the cloud? Google Fusion is the ideal platform for a game like this: http://www.google.com/fusiontables/p...our/index.html

I'm currently working on developing a spatial research database of radiocarbon dates for the Caribbean on Fusion. It's easy to use and even easier to maintain. But if we wanted to go a bit lower tech we could fairly easily port a google spreadsheet to Google maps. The current spreadsheet that's on the USB is perfectly set up for such a thing.