User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #1066
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Played well.

I'm on my way to Yorktown now... But I'm in the Suburban today.

Now, where is that extra wind shield?
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #1067
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Damn I want this one!!!....but I can't place it before I leave town on Sunday!!!!!

Great tag Beef!
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #1068
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Whoever goes, watch out for the deer!

Man, they're EVERYWHERE!!!

I passed that very spot 3 hours ago. I'd never been there before. Cool place. I'm going back!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #1069
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer: 200
Thumb Excellent!

Being a history buff, this is quite possibly the greatest tag yet! Too bad it's almost a 15 hour ride. This one will be hard to top gentlemen.

"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #1070
catang5oh
Blithering Idiot

Oddometer: 595
I went to "A" school there, cool tag. I used to drive through there every morning going to the Coast Guard base.
08 Ninja250(Hers)
99 Venture
05 CRF230
catang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #1071
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Grab!

Here is the Grab shot:

I don't really have to add anything to what Beef put out earlier. What a historic site!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #1072
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Thumb Yay!

Good grab TWK!

It was killing me, having to go by it 4 times in the past 24 hours and not being able to grab it!

- Jimmy
Old 10-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #1073
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,514
Nice grab TWK! You just could'nt resist, thought you were done tagging for a couple of weeks?
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #1074
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin
Nice grab TWK! You just could'nt resist, thought you were done tagging for a couple of weeks?
I didn't have to teach until noon, so the morning was ripe. And I wanted to try out my new waterproof boots this morning, so it all came together!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #1075
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R
Good grab TWK!

It was killing me, having to go by it 4 times in the past 24 hours and not being able to grab it!

- Jimmy
I feel your pain!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #1076
Beef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Sweet grab TWK! Did you see any deer? I startled one when I first rode up to the site and he went bounding across the road.

Thanks for the compliments, fellas. I had fun placing the tag, so I'm glad you liked it, too.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #1077
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,068
Thumb good job!!!

cool spot Beef, good grab K!!

lots of sweet stuff here, and the writeup was superb for all us war buffs....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #1078
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

I was just reading about what transpired at Surrender Field, when I realized the date of when it happened - 19 October! We basically just had an anniversary of a significant moment! And I was in the spot, 228 years later...

The new tag will be up by this evening. Though nowhere near as monumental as Beef's tag, the new tag nevertheless continues the history theme.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #1079
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

New Tag

This is Nimmo Methodist Church, established 1791, in Virginia Beach, VA.

Beginnings

On Christmas Eve of 1784, the Methodist Episcopal Church in America formerly established by action of the "Christmas Conference" at Lovely Lane Chapel in Baltimore. This Conference was convened by Thomas Cooke, who had been sent to America by John Wesley for this purpose. At that time Francis Asbury was elected as "general superintendent" by the sixty preachers in attendance.

We do not know when Methodism first made it's appearance in Princess Anne County, but evidence shows that it had taken root here by 1789. Organized into small groups, or "classes," the members met in homes or barns, with the occasional assistance of traveling preachers known as circuit riders.

By a deed dated March 30, 1791, for a consideration of five shillings, Anne Nimmo conveyed to the Society Of Members of The Methodist Episcopal Church one acre of land in the fork of the roads leading from Sandbridge to Eastern Shore. Work immediately began on the "Nimmo Meeting House."

The building was of simple design, without steeple or balcony. A single entrance was at the west end, and the building was of white clapboard construction, with plastered walls. The pews were of Colonial design, high-backed, of stained pine and poplar, edged with walnut. The floor was of random-width pine and carpeted. A fireplace of bricks, which were made on the property, was built in the center of each side of the building.

The original structure still stands as our sanctuary, although it has undergone many changes over the years. It is the oldest surviving Methodist Church in continuous use in Virginia.

Changes & Additions

At another Conference in Baltimore in 1828, a group of church members, known as the "Associated Methodist Churches," began to move to form a separate denomination which would come to be known as the Methodist Protestant Church. This division was mirrored here as, on May 20, 1829, a group from Nimmo acquired a parcel of land across the road from the present church, and constructed Olive Branch Methodist Church. This group later reunited with Nimmo, and in 1894 the surviving Trustees conveyed that church and its property to the Trustees of Nimmo.

In 1872, the Trustees reported that the church was "badly in need of repairs." By 1876, they reported, "the inside walls have received four coats of paint, the outside walls three, the seats revarnished, a new pulpit, new carpets, new cushions, etc., the improvements are handsome."

A recessed chancel was added to the east end, a steeple and vestibule added to the west end, and the church ceiling was raised in 1893-94. Another renovation was begun in 1927, when a hardwood floor was laid over the old pine floor, theater-type seating installed, and our baptismal font was given by Miss Evelyn Nimmo.

In 1956, in order to provide facilities for the Sunday School, wings to either side of the church were built, connected to the sanctuary by arched breezeways. In 1962, the current colonial box pews were added, the original pine flooring was uncovered and refinished, the building was replastered and the balcony restored.

During renovations in 1989 to replace the support beams under the sanctuary, the breezeways were enclosed and offices behind the sanctuary were added. The social hall was completed in 1991.

A Witness To History

Standing as it has on its present site since George Washington was the President of the United States, Nimmo has witnessed the brightest and darkest times in the history of our country.

About 1840, the balcony was added as a slave gallery. It survives today as the only remaining structure directly related to the period of slavery in Princess Anne County. If one looks closely at the floor at either end of the balcony, wooden plugs are visible which cover holes left by the iron work to which the shackles of slaves were once fixed. Records show that in 1846 Nimmo had 170 white members and 42 "colored members."

During the early part of the civil war, this area came under the control of the Federal Forces. Nimmo was then used to house Federal troops and as a Federal hospital. During recent renovations, it was discovered that these troops left the initials and names of their sweethearts carved into the posts supporting the balcony. Covered again by molding, these markings remain to be rediscovered by future generations.

The cemetery, established early in this century, is itself a history of Princess Anne County. Many older graves were moved here when the cemetery was established and the names on the monuments provide a "Who's Who" of this area. Residents of present day developments such as Ocean Lakes, Upton Forest, Red Mill farms, Courthouse Forrest, and others will find the previous owners of their land here.

For over two centuries, Nimmo has been a landmark to travelers and has served to meet the spiritual needs of the many who have worshipped here. This remains our mission. At our bicentennial celebration in 1991, Bishop Thomas Stockton proclaimed that "your best years are still to come."

Tag Shot:

Orientation shots for the egg:

The big tree to the left and rear of the graveyard is where the egg is hidden. Look for a little black pouch. See below:

Old 10-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #1080
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,514
Grab-o-energy

Nimmo United Methodist Church, 2200 Princess Anne Road | Virginia Beach http://nimmochurch.org/

Theworstkind put up a history on the church, so there is nothing else I can say about it except I was married in that church in 1992.

Got the egg and cooled off while we find a good spot to put it.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote