ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #1171
Patrick46
visionary
 
Patrick46's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon Coastline
Oddometer: 2,811
Don't you people WORK???
__________________
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #1172
Digiamo
Dan nyc
 
Digiamo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: NYC, currently in a tank slapper
Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46
Don't you people WORK???
Can't speak for anyone else but I just retired last month.
It's one of the reasons for getting involved it this intriguing treasure hunt.

Well, I rode to the hill and saw the tower from below but could not bring myself to take the ST1100 (street tires) too far on what turned out to be wet clay and steep inclines. I even circled the hill in search of a better access but no.

This may bring the fire of some ADV riders and that's OK since I already scolded myself pretty good on the 140 mile ride home. I am no stranger to offroad on that bike. I took it up the Haul road (Dalton) to the Arctic Circle north of Fairbanks.

I assumed it was going to be dry since there was no rain that I could see but when I got there I realized there was snow in Redpowers pic. I figured it melted and created the slick surface. It was almost dusk and I made the decision to save myself some trouble picking the 650# hippo up with my 140# body.

As I was exiting the mud, I encountered about six teens (half girls) on ATV's having a blast spinning donuts and smiling at me. I was tempted to ask for a ride or better yet, if I could borrow one for the last leg to the tower. I thought better of that devious plot.

So here I am head hung in shame after a 300+ mile round trip and only the fun of the miles to show for it. I thought to myself that someone probably got to it before me anyway. Looks like that was wrong.

I am still heading to Florida next week so could someone please take the egg to a more "wheelchair" accessible spot so I can take it to points warm and south.
Hey, If you don't ask...
Enjoy the hunt.


Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #1173
Motopumps
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motopumps's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Beautiful Upstate New York
Oddometer: 1,644
Doh!

It is a bit slick up there when wet. That is quite a ride you made! Would love to skip work and bring the thing down, but so far this week is looking busy...

Anybody else out there thinking about taking a run at it?
__________________
Rob MotoPumps.com
14 VStrom 650 & 09 KLX250SF
13 F6B & 03 XL883R
03 ZX6R & '14 VFR800F & 89 Honda Hawk GT x2
Motopumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #1174
Snowfreak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snowfreak's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: NE Pa
Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopumps
It is a bit slick up there when wet. That is quite a ride you made! Would love to skip work and bring the thing down, but so far this week is looking busy...

Anybody else out there thinking about taking a run at it?

It's very tempting Rob but I've got to much stuff going on myself.....Wed is looking like a nice to day to ride tho....
__________________
2009 R1200 GSA
2002 Dyna Glide (For Sale)

Motorcycles must be very big and loud and chromed, and must bark and smoke, and you only ride them on Sundays--Dear God that's not what a motorcycle is!!! Erik Buell
Snowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #1175
Digiamo
Dan nyc
 
Digiamo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: NYC, currently in a tank slapper
Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfreak
It's very tempting Rob but I've got to much stuff going on myself.....Wed is looking like a nice to day to ride tho....
Just realize it's raining up there today so it'll be even slicker and sloppier than yesterday.

Anyone with knobbies interested? If not, can I borrow your bike?
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #1176
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo
Just realize it's raining up there today so it'll be even slicker and sloppier than yesterday.

Anyone with knobbies interested? If not, can I borrow your bike?
Nice try Digiamo. Places like this beg re-reading the few rules, which include:


#2 Dirt is allowed; however, ... use your judgement on placing the tag to ensure that someone else will most likely come and get it...

#5 ...understand the intent of the game. Quality not Quantity.



With the snow and mud on street tires, I would've walked in, then taken a photo of the tower in the distance with the egg and duck on the tank.

Oh and CONGRATS on the retirement!!!
__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #1177
Pegmatite
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Pegmatite's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hamburg, NY
Oddometer: 126
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopumps
It is a bit slick up there when wet. That is quite a ride you made! Would love to skip work and bring the thing down, but so far this week is looking busy...

Anybody else out there thinking about taking a run at it?
Been thinking about it since it was posted, but need my job more than the egg! I guess if still there this weekend.......who knows, but that's a long ride if the weather isn't great.
Pegmatite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #1178
RedPower
Beastly Adventurer
 
RedPower's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: On a Trailer near you
Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo
Can't speak for anyone else but I just retired last month.
It's one of the reasons for getting involved it this intriguing treasure hunt.

Well, I rode to the hill and saw the tower from below but could not bring myself to take the ST1100 (street tires) too far on what turned out to be wet clay and steep inclines. I even circled the hill in search of a better access but no.

This may bring the fire of some ADV riders and that's OK since I already scolded myself pretty good on the 140 mile ride home. I am no stranger to offroad on that bike. I took it up the Haul road (Dalton) to the Arctic Circle north of Fairbanks.

I assumed it was going to be dry since there was no rain that I could see but when I got there I realized there was snow in Redpowers pic. I figured it melted and created the slick surface. It was almost dusk and I made the decision to save myself some trouble picking the 650# hippo up with my 140# body.

As I was exiting the mud, I encountered about six teens (half girls) on ATV's having a blast spinning donuts and smiling at me. I was tempted to ask for a ride or better yet, if I could borrow one for the last leg to the tower. I thought better of that devious plot.

So here I am head hung in shame after a 300+ mile round trip and only the fun of the miles to show for it. I thought to myself that someone probably got to it before me anyway. Looks like that was wrong.

I am still heading to Florida next week so could someone please take the egg to a more "wheelchair" accessible spot so I can take it to points warm and south.
Hey, If you don't ask...
Enjoy the hunt.




Sorry Digiamo, I too rode over 165 miles one way to drop the egg. (I took the duck back) I got to Cairo & it started raining. Pulled over & put on my rain gear...as I climbed the mountain (still paved road) it started turning to snow. There was no way I was turning around after traveling 150+ miles now!! There really is only one real incline to worry about & going up is not a problem...it was coming down that I had to go very slow. It was slick & I noted that to everyone
11-27-2009, 09:46 PM #1167
RedPower
Studly Adventurer

Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 515




New Tag!!

And now the CLUE







Word of caution. Tower is located approx 4 miles of dirt & red clay road. It is very hard packed & was a little slick today with the weather. I made it with street tires.....just take your time if it's wet





If you look in the picture you can see the road consistency also.

WreckcheckerQuote:
Nice try Digiamo. Places like this beg re-reading the few rules, which include:


#2 Dirt is allowed; however, ... use your judgement on placing the tag to ensure that someone else will most likely come and get it...

#5 ...understand the intent of the game. Quality not Quantity.




As far as judgement goes there still seems to be some people interested in going. The tag isn't even 4 days old & you are acting like no one will go get it...Relax the egg sat in Canada how long??

And as far as Quality goes...have you ridden in that area?? It's nice country in the Catskills.
I could have posted a lame old building in NJ right off the slab & that would have been Quantity. But I guess we all have our own Ideas of "Quality"

This is ADVENTURE RIDER, not Slab Rider isn't it??

Well I hope you got to enjoy your ADVENTURE Digiamo & I'm sorry you weren't able to seal the deal. Did you take any pix at least?
RedPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #1179
Digiamo
Dan nyc
 
Digiamo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: NYC, currently in a tank slapper
Oddometer: 805
[quote=RedPower]As far as judgement goes there still seems to be some people interested in going.

This is ADVENTURE RIDER, not Slab Rider isn't it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPower

Well I hope you got to enjoy your ADVENTURE Digiamo & I'm sorry you weren't able to seal the deal. Did you take any pix at least?
I think it is a well located Tag site for ADV riders and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. I am new to the game and this is my first Tag grab attempt.
I was unprepared for what I knew might be a difficult ride through rough road but my '93 ST1100 is approaching 200K miles and I would like the milestone to come soon so I took the ride.

I hindsight, I should have asked the kids on the ATV's for a ride to the tower if for nothing more than to scope out the entire length of the road and get a picture. Of course, at that point who wouldn't grab the egg.
Maybe I would have gotten a ride with one of the cute gals. "Hold On"
It was late in the day so no I did not get any pics but they wouldn't have showed much since the distance to the tower from the bottom of the mountain would not have allowed a viable photo on the cell phone.

The inclines in the road would have been an issue for me and the ST in both directions due to the weight and wheelbase.
I thought of walking in but in the Sidi On Road boots I would have had blisters after the miles long hike.
The incline was pretty far off down the road and would not have been very impressive on the cell phone camera I had.

Good luck to the next rider to give it a go.
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #1180
800SSDuc
Who is John Galt?
 
800SSDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Smithsburg, Maryland
Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo
Well, that's encouragement to grab it before you since that's a long time to wait for it to get dropped.
I'm heading to Florida next Saturday 12/5.
Oh no, I won't grab until I'm just getting ready to go and I won't plan on it taking more than 24 hrs to get there as I'm hoping to make the trip be for an IBA BB (1500 in 36) Certificate or at least a SS Cert (1000 in 24)
__________________
Mike B
08 HYM1100/S
06 800SS
89 KLR650
87 750 Paso Ltd
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
A few Chinese 150 Dirt Bikes
800SSDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #1181
800SSDuc
Who is John Galt?
 
800SSDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Smithsburg, Maryland
Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46
Don't you people WORK???
I work at night and ride in the day and drink lot's of coffee and RedBull .... 4 10's don't hurt neither.
__________________
Mike B
08 HYM1100/S
06 800SS
89 KLR650
87 750 Paso Ltd
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
A few Chinese 150 Dirt Bikes
800SSDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #1182
Patrick46
visionary
 
Patrick46's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon Coastline
Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800SSDuc
Oh no, I won't grab until I'm just getting ready to go and I won't plan on it taking more than 24 hrs to get there as I'm hoping to make the trip be for an IBA BB (1500 in 36) Certificate or at least a SS Cert (1000 in 24)
What does that mean???
__________________
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #1183
800SSDuc
Who is John Galt?
 
800SSDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Smithsburg, Maryland
Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46
What does that mean???
http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=1
__________________
Mike B
08 HYM1100/S
06 800SS
89 KLR650
87 750 Paso Ltd
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
A few Chinese 150 Dirt Bikes
800SSDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #1184
rdalland
Dharma Bun
 
rdalland's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the empire state
Oddometer: 332
Btdt...

Hey, I've been there...






...a few times.

Here's what it looked like today...



This is about a mile from the Leonard Hill Forest Sign. The road surface is ice, with an inch of fresh snow on top, slick as snot. Temperature was 36 degrees at noon, and there was a bit of snow still coming down. I decided not to risk my tupperware by going any further, so I turned around and headed for clear roads.

FAIL...
__________________
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

rdalland screwed with this post 12-01-2009 at 03:15 PM
rdalland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #1185
Patrick46
visionary
 
Patrick46's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon Coastline
Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland
I decided not to risk my tupperware by going any further, so I turned around and headed for clear roads.

FAIL...
Hahaha...that's funny as hell!!!


Oh, and to 800SSDuc...man, I'm jealous as all shit! I'd love to have the time & money to be able to do that. You be careful out there now.
__________________
"Good Times & Good Friends Make Life Better"

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014