Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 AM   #16
fasteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
what do the experts have to say about Honda's Varadero as a tug?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 AM   #17
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteer
what do the experts have to say about Honda's Varadero as a tug?
Im not an expert , but its a Honda, so technically OK and strong enough, but not very fuel efficient. They are pretty thirsty.

Some examples:

And of course chain drive, with exception of the first one showed.

Richard-NL
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
Bad Cat Racing
F1 Sidecar Racer

Oddometer: 191
Well right now this is available on SteveEnglish.com for a steal... All I'd need to do is put lights/mirrors/turnsignals on it, get the brake/light inspection done, run it by the CHP and get the blue-tag on the frame, head to the DMV and get the engine ID verified, and them my CHP blue-tag paperwork, and walk out with my special-construction title, registration, and LICENSE PLATE.

Two problems... It's in the UK =( All my money is going into the race effort at the moment. I can't even rebuild the forks/shocks on the Ducati.

Quote:
The first BMR chassis is for sale for those who have not seen the bike it is a monocoque chassis.

Specification:
Brakes: Floating AP discs AP calipers and master cylinders all the same as the latest LCR F1 Chassis.
Suspension: Fitted with the latest GP7 Maxton units
Chassis: The hubs are all Windle, the six wheels are all Windle 3 fitted with slicks 3 with wets, the tub is made from 2mm Ally with more bulkheads fitted than the Windles, this makes it a little heavier but very very strong and made to last. The geometry is the same as the LCR and everything is fully adjustable including the sidecar wheel.
Engine: The chassis is fitted with a Suzuki GSXR 1000 K6 this engine is standard and was fitted with only 300 miles on it.Since when it has only done 1 x mallory practise day 2 x club meetings and 2 x British F1 Championship meetings. The engine does have a TRE and PC111 power commander fitted.
Exhaust: Scorpion/Webbo Stainless steel full system
Wiring: Loom built and fitted by Track Electronics of Norwich
Bodywork: The wheel arch, seat unit and centre section are standard unmodified LCR units, the main fairing is a slightly modified LCR fairing all purchased originally from Jason Miller
Passenger Platform: This was made from composite materials not carbon fibre by Martek and includes a special non slip surface designed to help passengers get a grip in wet or dry conditions

Our Blog ~ http://blog.badcatracing.com
Sidecar Racers Association West ~ http://www.sra-west.us
Bad Cat Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
chairhead
HAIRY

Oddometer: 403
At the mo im running an old bandit 1200 and RX4,this is great for me and it was cheap to boot,but if i was building a new one,then i think i would go with either the GSX 1400 which is a hell of a bike so much low down grunt,very good fuel economy,reliable and comfortable or maybe the FJR from Yamaha,this bike i have not ridden so nothing much to say about it,one thing it has in its favour is the shaft drive.
the chair would be big maybe an oxford but with a fifteen inch wheel like the on below

one of my other fav chairs is this French example on the bandit,it just looks sweet,my guess is though it cost a bit more than the alloted 16k.

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G

chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
BuellGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Low CG most important-

To get the center of gravity down so you can corner faster, you want to get the heaviest masses- the engine and rider- as low as possible. The BMW boxer twins and lengthwise engine K bikes and the Honda Gold Wing and Valkrie get the engine down low. Amongst those bikes, the BMW R1200C and the Valkrie do a good job of seating the riders mass low too. Total weight is a factor to consider as well as height- the heavier the tug, the heavier the hack needed to stabilize it. For example, my Buell "tuber" has a slightly higher CG than a Sportster, but weights around 50 kilos less so it's sort of a trade off.
BuellGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #21
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuellGrrrl
To get the center of gravity down so you can corner faster, you want to get the heaviest masses- the engine and rider- as low as possible. The BMW boxer twins and lengthwise engine K bikes and the Honda Gold Wing and Valkrie get the engine down low. Amongst those bikes, the BMW R1200C and the Valkrie do a good job of seating the riders mass low too. Total weight is a factor to consider as well as height- the heavier the tug, the heavier the hack needed to stabilize it. For example, my Buell "tuber" has a slightly higher CG than a Sportster, but weights around 50 kilos less so it's sort of a trade off.
Trouble with most sidecar rigs is the CoG is so related to the person in the saddle.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Valkyrie / Oxford

Have some snaps of a Valkyrie / Oxford

Work in Progress..... Body is absent (at the Paint Shop).

.............You'll find 'em here:

http://s614.photobucket.com/albums/tt229/GetBack_photo/

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'

Get Back screwed with this post 02-20-2009 at 04:05 PM
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #23
BuellGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Yes, I could use to lose a few kilos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
Trouble with most sidecar rigs is the CoG is so related to the person in the saddle.
I've noted that when I do a good lean into the turn, while still remaining in the saddle, I can safely make the turn at 10-20% faster speed. This is a reflection of the fact that I weight more than the engine and transmission of my airhead tug- they weight 85 kilos (197 pounds) combined. In comparison, the Buell/Sportster engine and tranny weight about 107 kilos (235 pounds) combined. It's a testament to Erik Buell and his elve's design genius that they've managed to build a bike as light as the BMW "airhead" while stuck with an HD powertrain weighting over 20 kilos more.
BuellGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote