Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
jimmy2020 OP
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 977
battery life of 60csx?

looks like it runs on 2 AAA's. How many hours can you typically get out of a set. I have an old etrex and battery life is more like 6 hours (ie..dies during a long day).
I'm headed down to ride in Costa Rica and seems like the 60csx is going to be my companion and I don't plan to hardwire.

Thanks Jim

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020
looks like it runs on 2 AAA's. How many hours can you typically get out of a set. I have an old etrex and battery life is more like 6 hours (ie..dies during a long day).
I'm headed down to ride in Costa Rica and seems like the 60csx is going to be my companion and I don't plan to hardwire.

Thanks Jim
Two AA not AAA. Mine lasts around 5-6hrs as I recall. I went ahead and hardwired after my first all-day trip. You should really consider hardwiring.
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,009
2 AA's. I have the 60Cx but the only difference is that I dont have a baro altimeter or a magnetic compass Not sure if those two features on the Csx eat up considerably more battery power or not.

With the backlight turned off and regular alkaline batteries I get roughly 14 hours. with the Li batteries I get considerably more time but I have not made a note of it.

With the backlight on I estimate that I get around 8 hours.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
supposedly they last 16-20 hours.

But if you are on a bike, expect it to turn off automatically unless you hardwire. Any bumps, even on-road, will cause it to do so.

It isn't hard to hardwire, even on a rental bike (assuming that's what you are doing in CR).
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,210
I throw my 60CX in a small tankbag (Wolfman) on my XR650R when doing some offroad desert stuff. I usually get a few days of riding out of a set of AAs. IIRC, 5 days of baja riding and on all the time, I think I only went thru 2 sets of AAs.

When on a KLR or Vstrom, I have it hardwired and a RAM mount. hardwire is much better and then backlight stays on full time.

I am very very satisfied with my 60CX
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
jimmy2020 OP
limpiador de ventanas

thanks guys. it will be a rental in Costa Rica and I guess I will hardwire as most of you have suggested.
Does the hardwire have an inline fuse so I could connect straight to the battery? I'm asking because I once fried an ETREX.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
tedder
irregular

Quote:
thanks guys. it will be a rental in Costa Rica and I guess I will hardwire as most of you have suggested.
Does the hardwire have an inline fuse so I could connect straight to the battery? I'm asking because I once fried an ETREX.
Um, the wire I have in front of me doesn't have a fuse, but it uses a very tiny gauge wire. I don't know how you could fry a 60, unless you reversed the polarity.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Tappet
Feral

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
For those too useless to build this up themselves (like myself), touratech does a nice little kit:

http://www.cycoactive.com/ram/ram60.shtml

Tappet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
jimmy2020 OP
limpiador de ventanas

FYI, I just called Touratech and it sounds like it can be wired directly to a M/C battery. It supposedly handles a range of 6 - ~20 volts. Where the ETREX, that I fried, is limited to 5 volts.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,311
I wouldn't screw around with hard-wiring on a rental. Irrespective of the setup hassle, many of the touring companies really don't want you messing around with their bikes. The drop out problem is curable by shimming the batteries and the back-lite is worthless except at night. I get 15 hrs +/- (basically 3-days if you turn it off at stops) on disposable AA's without backlight on. And being able to pop it out of the mount when you leave the bike without having to screw around with wiring is nice. KISS.

If you do hard-wire and don't shim the batteries, you need to remove them - leaving them in and unshmmed may still cause dropouts, even with hard-wiring.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
If you do hard-wire and don't shim the batteries, you need to remove them - leaving them in and unshmmed may still cause dropouts, even with hard-wiring.
I've never had dropouts while the 60 series was powered externally with batteries installed. Ever.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
I've never had dropouts while the 60 series was powered externally with batteries installed. Ever.
Doesn't mean it won't happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ever!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
I've had good luck with putting a bit of dielectric grease on the battery contacts of the 60CSx and that stops mine from turning off in bumps. 99 cents for a pack at the counter of just about any autozone or advance autoparts. I do have mine hardwired now though.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Doesn't mean it won't happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ever!
Nope, but I've been using the 60 series since 2004, have gone above the arctic circle, to the equator, and dual-sported in some incredibly difficult places and haven't had it drop out. I've had the RAM mounting balls break from vibration, I've had parts of motorcycles fall off from vibration, and I've had the whole assembly fall off in offroad crashes. But the GPS hasn't turned off.

I'm not saying it won't happen- markjenn says it does, and I believe him. I'm saying I haven't seen it.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Tappet
Feral

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
Incase anyone else encounters it, I was having dropouts under battery power & not external power.

Garmin support suggested it was due to a full memory card, so I upgraded the size, reset the unit & its been fine since.
Tappet is offline   Reply With Quote