Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
I'm not saying it won't happen- markjenn says it does, and I believe him. I'm saying I haven't seen it.
Actually to be ruthlessly fair, I've never run mine for a distance hard-wired so I can't talk about it from personal experience. But on these and other forums, there are a numerous reports of dropouts even with hard-wiring. And I believe there's enough smoke that there's probably a fire, although certainly there are many who have no problems at all. Heck, there's probably quite a few who have had no dropouts, wired or unwired. YMMV was never more appropriate.

Hard-wiring saves worrying about putting batteries in, saves a few toxic milligrams of stuff going into landfills, and if I had only one bike, I'd probably do it. But I've got six and I hate running dongles - I've just done it too many times. And when you rent bikes, the less things you have to worry about, the better. My point was only that hard-wiring isn't necessarily the cure-all to the dropout problem and shimming does seem to work for most, so if you want to go wireless (and certainly the 60-series has the battery life to make it feasible), start with shimming.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #17
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,448
A friend of mine has a 60Cx and suffered dropouts with the batteries in and hard-wired. The shimming solution fixed it for him. FYI.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020
How many hours can you typically get out of a set.

Thanks Jim
I have a 60 Cx.

I didn't have a stopwatch running, but I get at least 10 hours on a set of batteries with the backlight set to turn off after 15 seconds. That is a conservative estimate.

Do the numbers: from Germany to the UK and then to Canada by air including stops, etc. and I still had 1 of 4 battery bars still showing.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB
I've had good luck with putting a bit of dielectric grease on the battery contacts of the 60CSx and that stops mine from turning off in bumps. 99 cents for a pack at the counter of just about any autozone or advance autoparts. I do have mine hardwired now though.
I also put one ear plug under the batteries to cushion and snug them up.
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:22 AM   #20
GodSilla
I did that.

I've been getting good life out of Lithium batteries lately. I haven't used a stopwatch but they seem to last twice as long as anything else, but cost twice as much. So it evens out.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #21
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
I seem to get about 3 riding days from a set of batteries, unless it's cold out.

My Extrex used to drop out, but the 60Cx never has, but it could happen.

As someone else mentoned stuffing an earplug into the Etrex's battery box solved the problem for me.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron
I seem to get about 3 riding days from a set of batteries, unless it's cold out.

My Extrex used to drop out, but the 60Cx never has, but it could happen.
+1

With the E2 lithium ion this is what I'm getting as well with my 60CSx. No drop-out problems in one year, three major trips and lots of day rides. But the battery indicator sucks. It goes from a full reading to nothing in about 1 hour. Not much in between.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline
But the battery indicator sucks. It goes from a full reading to nothing in about 1 hour. Not much in between.
Have you fiddled with the setting at Main Menu > Setup > System > Battery Type?

No setting for lithium, but I'd bet NiMH would work better than alkaline.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #24
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
No setting for lithium, but I'd bet NiMH would work better than alkaline.
I can't comment if they work better or not, but I've been using the same set of rechargeable NiMH batteries since I first started using a 60 Cx when it first came out (early 2006 I think).

That set of NiMH batteries still takes a charge that lasts. Mind you, they are used as back-up and are not depleted that often.

Oh, you were commenting on the "setting". Yes it would probably work better...1.2V vs 1.5V as a starting point. They used to have a Li setting and dropped it after a few software unit upgrades.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Have you fiddled with the setting at Main Menu > Setup > System > Battery Type?

- Mark
Thanks. It was set on Alkaline, so I'll try NiMH and see if it improves.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #26
Zed1k
7 o'clock... DOH!

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider
Oh, you were commenting on the "setting". Yes it would probably work better...1.2V vs 1.5V as a starting point. They used to have a Li setting and dropped it after a few software unit upgrades.
Just picked up a 60cx, manual said NOT to use lithium batteries, said something about higher voltage and possible overloads. I would have to read it again but maybe they've had issues with lithium being used???
Zed1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #27
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed1k
Just picked up a 60cx, manual said NOT to use lithium batteries, said something about higher voltage and possible overloads. I would have to read it again but maybe they've had issues with lithium being used???
My manual says the same thing. I've used the lithium without problems, but if the unit detects an over-voltage condition it may just shut down.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #28
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Shimming

How are you shmming. I tried to finigle the batteries in my Legend and it caused problems. Pics or detailed explaination please.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #29
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr
How are you shmming. I tried to finigle the batteries in my Legend and it caused problems. Pics or detailed explaination please.
On 76 cover screws on very tight. I use black electrical tape. One strip under each battery and one very small piece on cover over each. Add layers until it is a pinch fit. Tape has lots of friction to keep batteried from moving fore & aft.

Countdown screwed with this post 02-12-2009 at 12:56 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #30
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
My manual says the same thing. I've used the lithium without problems, but if the unit detects an over-voltage condition it may just shut down.
Most electronics will shut down on under voltage, fail on over voltage.

Overvoltage is tough design problem, very hard to shut down fast enough. It requires a sensor out front then a filter slow enough to give you enough time to shut off before overvoltage gets to elecronics. Never find that on consumer elecronics.