Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,220
60Cx with 8 gig card?

My friend put an 8 gig card in his 60Cx and I tried to download about 0.1 gig of R&R & topo. Message on Mapsource says "GPS does not support Map Download"?

I reset card power on/off several times, same problem.

Tacks & Waypoints download fine.

Any one have an idea what I am doing wrong?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
I tried the same thing and then had several long email exchanges with Garmin tech support and was essentially told that I have to use the TOPO chip that I bought even though I would be writing track files to the factory SD card which I didn't want to do.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,712
Wow, never heard of anyone using an 8 gig card in one, for a long time it was 2 gig max, but I think 4 is now OK with firmware update.
Why so big?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,454
Given the prices of these things, why not I supppose? A couple of extra bucks is chicken feed really.
BTW Tbird, do you know which version of firmware supports the 4 gig card? I've asked the question on here a couple of times but the original posters just seem to fade away. I could definitely make full use of a 4g card if it will work.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimF650GS
I tried the same thing and then had several long email exchanges with Garmin tech support and was essentially told that I have to use the TOPO chip that I bought even though I would be writing track files to the factory SD card which I didn't want to do.
I had no problem downloading R&R plus Topo with a 2 gig card in my 76Cx.

When I go to USB Interface, I can't see the memory. I don't think the extra 2 address lines would make a difference perhaps it is a bad memory.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
I've heard of a few people using 4GB cards okay

Not really a lot of point having a card above 2GB as this is the maximum size of map file you can load
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,781
2 was tops for a long while. Hadn't heard of a bump up to 4, but could be. Never heard of anyone successfully using and 8.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
Given the prices of these things, why not I supppose? A couple of extra bucks is chicken feed really.
BTW Tbird, do you know which version of firmware supports the 4 gig card? I've asked the question on here a couple of times but the original posters just seem to fade away. I could definitely make full use of a 4g card if it will work.
Nope, just read it here like you I'm kinda behind on firmware updates anyway. I can't see needing more than 2 gig for my riding.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,349
You can find a few non SDHC 4 gig cards, as the 60CX/76cx may not except "SDHC" SD cards. But anything bigger and most 4 gigs are now SDHC so look at your card and see if it has the "SDHC" logo on it. The 8 gig would be for sure.
Transend makes a Non SDHC 4 gig.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
You can find a few non SDHC 4 gig cards, as the 60CX/76cx may not except "SDHC" SD cards. But anything bigger and most 4 gigs are now SDHC so look at your card and see if it has the "SDHC" logo on it. The 8 gig would be for sure.
Thanks Robert, it is an "HC", that probably is the problem. I will tell the owner to get a 2 gig non-HC card!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
I'm using a Kingston Micro SD HC 4GB card in mine... no issues. I'm on whatever firmware that the webupdater pulled about 3 or 4 weeks go.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
The guy got a 2 gig non-HC card at lunch and it worked fine. Still don't know for sure that it wasn't a bad card although it was a Sandisk.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Que?

HC = High capacity
All cards over 2GB are HC

Nothing to do with the speed or other factors
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
Que?

HC = High capacity
All cards over 2GB are HC

Nothing to do with the speed or other factors
Not true there are a few 4 gigs that are not SDHC, I have a couple Transcend ones. They are getting harder to find

Secure Digital Cards have been around for nearly 10 years, SDHC Cards are a newer version developed for use with digital cameras and other such devices that not only a require a higher capacity card, but also one that comes with a performance to match. SDHC cards are designed for devices that are compatible with the SD 2.00 specification. Products designed exclusively to support previous SD specifications 1.0 and 1.1 will not be able to utilize SDHC cards. To check if your device is compatible with SDHC look in your device manual or on the packaging for the SDHC symbol

Remember, if your device accepts SDHC cards, it is backwards compatible with standard Secure Digital (SD) cards.

The growing demand for high-capacity flash memory springs partially from the increasing use of high-definition video and high-resolution digital photography. SDHC cards meet the challenge of these demanding products not only by providing ample storage but also by introducing a new feature - Classification of Data Transfer Speed (DTS).

Consumers can get the best performance value out of their digital products by using flash memory cards that support the device's highest standards for data transfer speed. The SD specification 2.00 calls for cards to be classified according to the minimal sustained DTS as follows:

* Class 2: minimum sustained DTS of 2MB/sec (13x Speed)
* Class 4: minimum sustained DTS of 4MB/sec (26x Speed)
* Class 6: minimum sustained DTS of 6MB/sec (40x Speed)

The issue with regular SD memory cards and other cards for that matter, is that if the card has a write speed of say 6MB/Sec or 40x Speed, then it's maximum speed is that. So the device (eg. camera) will start writing the image or data to the card at 0MB/sec and then work up to the top operating speed of 6MB/sec and then slow down again to 0MB/sec as it finishes wrting the data, thus meaning the average write speed may be around 3MB/Sec.

Therefore ther SDHC format, which has a guaranteed minimum write speed of say 6MB/Sec (40x Speed) will start at this speed and may in fact have a higher top speed - like the SanDisk Extreme III Secure Digital Card - SDHC 4gb Memory Card, this is a Class 6 card -therefore having a minimum sustained write speed of 6MB/Sec - 40x Speed, but has a top speed of 20MB/Sec - 133x Speed.

In simple terms this means SDHC cards start writing data a specified speed and sustain that speed, whereas regular SD Cards start writing data at 0MB/Sec and build up to a top speed; SDHC memory cards start writing the data at a higher minimum speed.

There, I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 02-04-2009 at 09:25 AM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote