Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #151
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
Would it be possible to make a triangular bottle to fit like this but be a little more aerodynamic??
So ... you're asking for the design, certification, and fabrication of a different shape of can, for a more specific and limited application (mount position)? I don't see that happening. You might think about creating an air dam out of PVC sheeting to fit your needs.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #152
Kilter
As In "Out of ......."

Oddometer: 168
Mounting on 1200GS

When I got my 1 gal tank I immediately tried to put it on my 1200GS where the passenger seat is attached.

Unfortunately it does not quite fit in with the raised plastic rack that comes on the GS. Not to worry I was already planning to buy a replacement from Hattech in Germany. Today it arrived.

I mounted it and put the pillion seat back on the bike. It fit perfectly, looked good, and lowered the height of the rear deck. I like it!

I bought the "Italy" model. It is pre-drilled to take mounts for a Givi topcase.
Next I removed the seat and placed the 1 gal Rotopax in the space.

Perfect. It fits nicely in the space. The tank rides on the rubber bumpers BMW has on the plastic deck. I will add a molding to the edge of the Hattech rack where it could rub the tank. I want to carry the tank in this space because it keeps it from being hit in those times (not un-common) when I am off-road and tip over. This way it is surrounded, serves as a base for my kit, and in an emergency I can still carry a passanger.

Plus it will work with my hardcases and no cases. Thanks Jason!

And thanks to Hatt for the rack.

Kilter

2006 R1200GS

Kilter screwed with this post 05-07-2009 at 09:20 PM
Kilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #153
smeghead
b00b

Oddometer: 126
F800GS Rotopax 1gal Aux tank

First, gotta say - Rotopax customer service is great. I ordered the 1gallon with mount kit and inadvertently forgot to mention that I wanted it in green. I called to change my order and sent a follow up email, but somehow the wires got crossed between order and distribution and I ended up with a red 1 gallon tank.

I contacted Rotopax (Jason, in particular) and he offered to make it right by either allowing me to RMA it or buy the green one at his cost. Given the options, I opt'ed to buy the green tank at cost as I will surely find a use for the red one. BIG KUDOS to Jason/Rotopax for making this right quickly and easily. Thanks!

Anyhow, pics. I intend to mount the 1 gallon unit on the right side, on the inside of the right side bag mount. That will keep it low and unobtrusive and will allow me to use it w/ or w/o bags mounted. BUT - I am going out of town this weekend, so I temporarily mounted it on the rear rack.

Sturdy! Pics:

This is the preferred/eventual mount location:

I need to check the suspension travel to verify the chain guard will not contact the tank when bottomed out, but I am fairly certain this will work:

This is the way it is mounted at the moment - mount attached to the luggage rack:

The weight will be high and back, so I am not so keen on this current setup, but it will be fine for an 'interim' setup.

I am looking forward to getting the green tank and mounting it behind the right side bag. I suspect it will fit the 'look' of the bike quite nicely and might rig it up as a permanent fuel cell.

-smeg

smeghead screwed with this post 05-08-2009 at 06:54 AM
smeghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #154
endurorazor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I took a slightly different approach when I mounted mine. A thousand miles and no problems, great sturdy design!!

The red thing hanging is just a cable lock.

endurorazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #155
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Rotopax

I was thinking of something similar. How are you for ground clearance on corners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endurorazor
I took a slightly different approach when I mounted mine. A thousand miles and no problems, great sturdy design!!

The red thing hanging is just a cable lock.

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #156
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
I really like these cans, but that mounting location on the bottom of the Jesse's scares me! No matter how robust they are, I wouldn't like to trust them holding up to sliding down the road with the weight of a bike on them ... sparks and fuel!
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #157
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
2 gal. on F800GS

I mocked up a cardboard box with the same dimensions as the new 1 gal. Rotopax container (you can see it in the upper right hand corner) and tried it out in various positions on my bike, but couldn't find any way to mount them down low in front of my 36L Caribous without them becoming leg breakers. And I wanted 2 gals. extra range, so I sprang for the 2 gal. Rotopax and mounted it onto my Touratech rear plate using some pieces of scrap aluminum as backing for the mount.

I didn't have to drill into the plate, and it comes off fairly easily for when I want to ride without the container.

I mounted it as far forward as I could. But I still have plenty of room to slide around on the seat.

Seems like it shouldn't affect the handling too much, though it will weigh ~15 lbs. once it's filled with gas. Still, considerably less than a passenger. And I bet some of the huge topcases I see people mount carry more than 15 lbs. when full.

I can strap my waterproof duffel (filled with light weight clothes) on top of it. And loosening the straps to take it off when I want to fill (or empty) it is easily done.

The straps are in a perfect position to help secure the container, and there's enough slack on those straps to allow for a Thermarest pad or some other light weight items. With the extra 2 gals., I should have >300 mile range. I can't say that I've ever ridden anywhere where that was inadequate.

Yet.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #158
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Nice, David. I've been trying to decide between the 1 and 2 gal. Waiting til I get my Great Basin to see if I'll be able to mount it like you have there.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #159
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Nice, David. I've been trying to decide between the 1 and 2 gal. Waiting til I get my Great Basin to see if I'll be able to mount it like you have there.
After seeing how the container fits, my bet is that you'd have no problem fitting the Great Basin on top of a 2 gal. Rotopax, PackMule. In fact, I bet that 3" height differential would even help to keep the dangly side protrusions from contacting your muffler. A two-fer!

David

--Curly
Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #160
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
After seeing how the container fits, my bet is that you'd have no problem fitting the Great Basin on top of a 2 gal. Rotopax, PackMule. In fact, I bet that 3" height differential would even help to keep the dangly side protrusions from contacting your muffler. A two-fer!

David

Good point!

Now, for step 2, how do we turn this thing into a plumbed fuel cell...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #161
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Now, for step 2, how do we turn this thing into a plumbed fuel cell...
I have the replacement lid to do that to a Sceptre military fuel container. It is pretty simple.

The center of the lid has a fitting with brass quick connect (the same as the upgrades for the BMW) and an breather with a very good check valve. The fitting has threads on the inside so you can add a pickup tube if needed, depending on what direction the can is held during use.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #162
R_W
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
So ... you're asking for the design, certification, and fabrication of a different shape of can, for a more specific and limited application (mount position)? I don't see that happening. You might think about creating an air dam out of PVC sheeting to fit your needs.
I had to ask

I have been meaning to get some custom made ones, but that hasn't made it to the top of the needs list.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #163
R_W
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead

I need to check the suspension travel to verify the chain guard will not contact the tank when bottomed out, but I am fairly certain this will work:

I like that location. I wonder if it will fit behind a Caribou case the same way? time to cut some cardboard and see....
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #164
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
I like that location. I wonder if it will fit behind a Caribou case the same way? time to cut some cardboard and see....
It won't with the removable SW-Motech EVO racks. I checked.

Dunno about the "real" Caribou racks.

David

--Curly
Old 05-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #165
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
I have the replacement lid to do that to a Sceptre military fuel container. It is pretty simple.

The center of the lid has a fitting with brass quick connect (the same as the upgrades for the BMW) and an breather with a very good check valve. The fitting has threads on the inside so you can add a pickup tube if needed, depending on what direction the can is held during use.

Reeealy? Hmmmmm......

Pyndon '13