Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 AM   #151
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
So basically you have cut up frame sitting there that you don't know what to do with.

Why don't you sell the engine to Mezo so there is a chance of his DR ever seeing the world outside his living room? The man is so desperate that he is now ordering Renazco seats in multiples.
No I have a rolling dr frame with a drz sub frame bolted to it and an engine half rebuilt and so far feck all time/motivation to get more work done on it.

Hows the car and ktm build going?

I'm sure i sore Mezo stalking a dr650 outside a local cafe, he had a wheel barrow and a set of tools with him so maybe desperation has driven him to stealing a dr engine.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 AM   #152
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Hey Joe , about the CDI, does it have a rev counter?? I want to order
one for my RS. Keep on rocking!
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #153
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
This is a very good build thread. It looks like you are doing everything right and taking your time w/ it. I look forward to seeing updates in the future. :) The best part being, you proved that you can do a lot with some bolts, metal, hack saw, and welder.
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #154
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic
Hey Joe , about the CDI, does it have a rev counter?? I want to order
one for my RS. Keep on rocking!
yep it has an output for a rev counter.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #155
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
This is a very good build thread. It looks like you are doing everything right
doing things right is probably a weird way of describing someone taking a grinder to a bike frame on the off chance that another bikes subframe might fit just so he can use cheaper plastics.

Thanks for the comments though it has inspired me to do some more tonight.

I'm still wanting to see about fitting a drz safari tank.
I'm going to borrow a mates drz so i can pull it apart and see if the stock tank fits over the cylinder head and see what angle i need to set the subframe at.

I have been working on a over sized oil cooler as well.

Thanks

Joe
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #156
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
doing things right is probably a weird way of describing someone taking a grinder to a bike frame on the off chance that another bikes subframe might fit just so he can use cheaper plastics.

Thanks for the comments though it has inspired me to do some more tonight.

I'm still wanting to see about fitting a drz safari tank.
I'm going to borrow a mates drz so i can pull it apart and see if the stock tank fits over the cylinder head and see what angle i need to set the subframe at.

I think you should not change an oil cooler. It is oversized as it is. You will have problems in cool temperatures

Thanks

Joe
I think you should not change an oil cooler. It is oversized as it is. You will have problems in cool temperatures
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #157
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Let's see a picture of how the subframe and especially the attachment points came out!

I am going to be back in Vienna this weekend and will cut out the lower frame rail on the KTM then. Scared already!

Quote:
It's true that in very cold weather the engine will not get warm (at least quickly enough). But the problem is not that the cooler is over sized, in warm weather it will get plenty hot. The thing that is missing is an oil thermostat, then you could run a larger cooler without problems.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #158
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Oil Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
Haa, wheelbarrow outside a cafe

Have you seen them oil coolers for sale in Supercheap Auto`s Joe, theres three sizes from memory & the biggest would mount nice under the headlamp (out in the breeze Rallye style)

Whats the internal diameter of a standard oil line going to a standard oil cooler Joe ?

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #159
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
Haa, wheelbarrow outside a cafe

Have you seen them oil coolers for sale in Supercheap Auto`s Joe, theres three sizes from memory & the biggest would mount nice under the headlamp (out in the breeze Rallye style)

Whats the internal diameter of a standard oil line going to a standard oil cooler Joe ?

Mezo.
I did see them oil coolers but i thought they where low pressure coolers.
I got one for a car off ebay and i'm welding new mounting points and fittings for the standard hose.

The standard hose has a 8mm ID.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #160
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Uh being to cold is not a problem over here.
I'm after more capacity as well as more cooling.

Any way if I do happen to venture into a cooler climate i could always throw a cover over the cooler just like you do with big truck radiators in cold places.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #161
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Let's see a picture of how the subframe and especially the attachment points came out!
What the hell happened to your avatar Lukas are you going soft on us.

I haven't got bottom mounting points done yet. I'm going to borrow a mates drz400 so i can get the angle of the subframe correct so that the seat tank and plastics all match.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #162
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

hold on to ya hats people

I nearly have the engine finished I'm just waiting on a few gaskets for the side cases so while i'm waiting for the gaskets I thought I would see how the engine would look in a black frame also a mate dropped his drz400 off today so I stole the seat and tank of it to see how it would fit.

what do you think

The tank fitted surprisingly well leaving plenty of clearances on the left side and on top of the head but the right side where the oil line goes in is going to be close.

Its hard to see in the pic but the front tank mount lined up perfectly with the top engine mount hole in the frame.

I was thinking of using a drz safari tank but i have had an idea. there is loads of space under the radiator shrouds because of the fact there is only 1 oil cooler on one side so i'm thinking i could make some alloy tanks that bolt on where the shrouds go and then have the fairing bolt on over them.
So is that a good plan or am i going to blow my self up?

I made an attempt at making carbon fiber case guards there very strong but i'm not sure I like the look.

As always any input is very welcome.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #163
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
The plastics look good on the bike. Heck, even the yellow looks like it fits! I'm loving it. The CF guard, I'm not to sure about. It does look nice, but I'm not sure how much protection you'll get from it.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #164
maguireb
Suzuki Bob

Oddometer: 43
DR Project Looks

I like the look of the DRZ tank and seat, black and yellow are a nice contrast. I think Bumble Bee has been well used this year for the yellow muscle car in the flicks....but perhaps you have created a hornet ....this is a nasty little thing you have built. Thanks for sharing the project threads.
2001 200 DRSE 3800 km's
2001 650 DRSE sold in 2010
maguireb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #165
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
So have you done the rear alloy sub-frame yet Joe, i had to go back a page i thought i missed it

Carbon cover, be nice if it had Suzuki embossed in the side or is that to hard i suppose ?
i think done right carbon covers would work (watch out Perry) DRJoeFibre is on the scene.

If you can work with that stuff wheres the carbon Dakar fairings for everyone ?

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote