Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 AM   #181
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
If I expanded the steel tank i would have to use a crap load of filler to make it look good. I cant ride for shit so the filler would soon get smashed out.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of making an alloy tank and then have the fairing bolt on to it.

something like this

I could make some carbon/kevlar side panels to cover the alloy and spread the load of and rocky impacts.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #182
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
Awesome build mate. You just need to work out the issues.

Have you considered a xr650r tank? it sort of looks like it might fit over the head, and if you used a 4 gallon it would have spots to mount a fairing. It might be a bit small though. An xrl tank might work too.

Keep it up, you will have an awesome bike once it is done.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #183
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
Awesome build mate. You just need to work out the issues.

Have you considered a xr650r tank? it sort of looks like it might fit over the head, and if you used a 4 gallon it would have spots to mount a fairing. It might be a bit small though. An xrl tank might work too.

Keep it up, you will have an awesome bike once it is done.
Cheers. Your xr650r looks the nuts.

I dont think the tank off a xr650r would fit because of the different frame design the frame looks a lot narrower at the back than it is on the dr.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #184
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

The drz safari tank realy hugs the engine so it will be to narrow for the dr.

There is no way i can live with orange I wouldnt live it down.
I had a look on ebay for adventure tanks and i found a few over your way infact i just missed an 18l acerbis tank that had been painted black it went for $78. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you promise a ktm640 tank will fit then i think i'll get one.
Could you keep half an eye on ebay over on your side of the pond and let me know if anything comes up.

Cheers for your help

quote=LukasM]If it was that easy, everybody would do it. And then your bike wouldn't be anything special, so get your chin up!

Have you checked if the Safari DRZ tank is the same width on the underside?

For the big KTM tank, there are two options. The rally/ Hard Parts version is made of polyethylene and can't be painted without considerable effort. But it's a bit lighter, holds more fuel and is supposedly more robust. These can be had for $300 US brand new, so can you live with orange? .

The one used the adventure is made of a polyamide blend and can be painted without problems as it doesn't breathe. Stick on the kevlar protector I mentioned above and it should last no problem. They are not that rare over here, if you give me some time I can probably find you a used one for $300 or so as well.

I think I know which thread you are talking about, this one:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408462

I'd say top effort by these guys, but I'd take a plastic, kevlar or even aluminum tank over it any day.[/quote]
Old 10-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #185
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
Cheers. Your xr650r looks the nuts.

I dont think the tank off a xr650r would fit because of the different frame design the frame looks a lot narrower at the back than it is on the dr.
You are probably right on the lc4 tank being your best bet, but I had this spare kicking it in the bed of the truck so here are a couple scale shots for the xrr.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #186
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
Get them toenails clipped

Mezo.
will do.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #187
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for taking the time to measure your tank for me but its way to narom at the back.
[IMG]images/editor/menupop.gif[/IMG]
I just spent two fecking hours searching ebay and the web looking for something suitable.
I have found another option, What do you all think about a ktm690sm tank It will be plenty wide enough because it has to fit over the trellis frame it also looks cool as and it has mounting points for side covers which will be perfect for the fairing. I reckon it'll give the bike a real unusual look.

I have found a orange one that has been painted black and if I replace the orange side panels with yellow ones and then extend them up to make the fairing it'll look ok i reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
You are probably right on the lc4 tank being your best bet, but I had this spare kicking it in the bed of the truck so here are a couple scale shots for the xrr.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #188
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Get them toenails clipped

Mezo.
Stop harassing people in my thread Mezo I don't want you putting of my helpers.

And how about making yourself useful and come up with some solutions to my tank woes.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #189
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozimick
Hey Joe, when I get home next week Ill measure up the 640 tank...... if it looks like a goer you can borrow it for a while to do some fit up if you want
Cheers mate it might take you up on that or I might just steel the tank and fairing and paint it black while your away playing with gold and then i'll deny everything when you get back.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #190
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
I can't promise that the LC4 tank fits but from the picture I posted above it sure looks like it does, no?

But if you are patient for a bit more.... tomorrow is the big day, I am packing up all my shit and moving back to Austria after 1.5 years in sunny Spain. A bit sad to go but I am seriously looking forward to finishing our new garage and putting in some major wrenching time this winter. A second DR, the Cobra and the KaTaMaki should keep me plenty busy.

So if you wait until Tuesday I can let you know if the tank fits for sure. I think I have the 12, 18 and 28 liter versions sitting around somewhere. Since I am throwing the bike in the trunk again I have to take mine off anyway.

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #191
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cheers Lukas.
The adventure tank has bolt holes cast into it for the fairing doesn't it.

The 690sm tank that i was watching was "buy it now for $100 or make an offer" I just went to buy it and it had been sold for $80. I am going to go nuts shortly.

I cant move on with the project until i get a tank sorted and i'm starting to get impatient.

Where is the ebay ninja when you need him, Come on MEZO find me a tank pleasssssssssssssssssssssssse
Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #192
NOSIGN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
trunk

Lukas, how do you do that fitting the DR into the wagon thing? unbelievable! How many persons does it take to do that?

DR650SE ('97) current project
CBR954 ('03) daily ride
CBR900 ('96) the 'ol days
CR250 ('03), 125 ('89), 80 ('85) the 'ol days
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
NOSIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #193
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Quote:
Haa, he`s right here, only joking about the toenails Alan

Im waiting for my bike to turn up, he said around 1pm & its that now

Mezo.
No worries. Besides I actually do need to cut them. I laughed pretty hard at that comment.

That sucks on the 690 tank. I'm always a minute late too.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #194
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bloody hell Mezo what did i say about harassing my helpers first Alan and now Lukas.
And your so jealous of my build thread that you had post a picture of that idiot in mine to ruin it and you haven't given me any constructive comments for ages.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #195
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
Thanks a lot.
Chill Winston
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote