Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #436
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
It's been a long frustrating day mate.
Dont rush it Joe ... i just cant help feeling the front wheel is a bit close to the frame ....... put the road book on the 525 or the yam, it wont take you that long ... then you have the time you need .... its looking good mate

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #437
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,364
Just read this whole thread from the beginning. I'm hooked.

One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #438
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,448
Joe, since you're not afraid to cut shit up and weld it back together, why not -- and I'm not being an ass when I say this -- cut the steering head off, and shift it forward 1 or 2 inches?

That would definitely help solve with the pipe. FYI, you don't want to merge the pipe so close to the head - that will absolutely kill the high RPM power on a 180* twin cylinder motor. The shorter the header tubes, the higher the RPM it will "tune" to -- conversely, the longer the header tubes, the lower the RPM it will tune to. Personally, I'd prefer them to be a little shorter than stock.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #439
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
He has a point there Joe, if its any use there is a calculator program on my late fathers site you can use to make a tuned length exhaust, my kid bother wrote the program from a method dad knew in his books. HERE

Mezo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al
Joe, since you're not afraid to cut shit up and weld it back together, why not -- and I'm not being an ass when I say this -- cut the steering head off, and shift it forward 1 or 2 inches?

That would definitely help solve with the pipe. FYI, you don't want to merge the pipe so close to the head - that will absolutely kill the high RPM power on a 180* twin cylinder motor. The shorter the header tubes, the higher the RPM it will "tune" to -- conversely, the longer the header tubes, the lower the RPM it will tune to. Personally, I'd prefer them to be a little shorter than stock.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #440
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,870
Well i never thought of that also i'm a bit scared of loosing the frame geometry.
I think next time I build a bike i will jig the head stem, swing arm and shock mount so i keep the geometry rite and then make a frame round an engine instead of doing what i'm doing know.

I visited terry at the exhaust place today and discussed a few theory's with him he reckoned I would get away with having such short header but I would definitely loose some top end. He liked my idea of running two headers and two silencers but advised me to stick with the original header size for now.

He is one of the most interesting blokes to speak to you'll ever meet. He was in the middle of experimenting with power bomb headers and he was telling me all his ideas on how to improve them.

I forgot to ask him if i needed to link the two pipes I'm assuming that i should so the performance is kept the same on both cylinders but then if there identical there shouldn't be any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al

DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #441
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
He has a point there Joe, if its any use there is a calculator program on my late fathers site you can use to make a tuned length exhaust, my kid bother wrote the program from a method dad knew in his books. HERE

Mezo.
That is some cool shit right there Mezo i cant believe you've been holding out on us all this time.

Thanks for posting that link and my hat goes of to your dad looks like he was a very clever boy.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #442
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
I'd stick with the stock GS headers and use the cash to get a front suspension with longer forks and adjustable triple clamps This would help preventing the tyre from hitting the header.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #443
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos
I'd stick with the stock GS headers and use the cash to get a front suspension with longer forks and adjustable triple clamps This would help preventing the tyre from hitting the header.
stock headers go under the engine so there no good. I've figured away of doing it without having wheel and header contact.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #444
Wolfdog
Not Scared

Oddometer: 83
When things start turning to shit, best to have a break from the work shop and do something fun till your mind is clear again, cos perseverence + frustration = disaster.

so go have a drink or go for a ride, when your ready to open the garage again, hopfully you will have some fresh ideas flowing again.

How long to go till the big race.
Wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #445
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for the advice i'm going out for half a days ride on my ktm 520 and then i'll be full of fresh ideas and fully inspired to keep going.

I need to be on the bike and leaving about 4 weeks from now. The race is a 15 hour ride away so it should show up any faults the bike has
Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #446
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

ok just got a message from my mate canceling the ride and I'm not one for going riding in the woods alone so it looks like i'm back to the garage then.

Terry from the exhaust place gave me some strieght pipe and a few mandrel bends to play with (don't you just love free stuff)
I have also bought some ktm 950 se mufflers like the ones pictured in this post. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27

There new and only cost $70. They are stainless steel and quite heavy but i've found out that its very easy to cut the catalytic converter out of them which should save a fair bit of weight.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #447
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
looks like i'm back to the garage
Good.

Get back to work.

Take some pictures.

One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #448
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,775
Thats the go mate ....... ktm tank and pipes ........ your learnin fast grasshopper

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #449
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat00m
Thats the go mate ....... ktm tank and pipes ........ your learnin fast grasshopper
ah crap I can see where this is going. I better find some bmw parts to add to the mix, you got any suggestions
Old 02-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #450
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
ah crap I can see where this is going. I better find some bmw parts to add to the mix, you got any suggestions
You could add one of them BMW "Gravity Devices" you've seen them in action surely? once you get them off the tarmac & on to sand they topple over

That should razz up a couple of 1250GS riders

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote