User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #481
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
started working on the frame to.

I pulled the bike apart and then stripped the paint of the frame.
I bought some 3M paint stripper which worked really well.

I decided i wanted to get rid of the support that goes from the bottom of the head stem to the back bone and replace it with a bit of lattice work.
The main idea behind this was to stiffen the back bone a bit but also to create more room above the rocker cover so that it can be removed.

I haven't finished yet because i ran out of mig wire. Please excuse the big ugly welds, I haven't mig welded steel for about 4 years and by eck don't it show.

all these pictures make the frame look squint for some reason but its not. It was pretty much impossible to measure where to put the pieces so i did it all by eye.

it still needs to have a few extra struts put i but you get the genral idea.

I had to bend the bars like that to clear the carbs.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #482
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Holy shit.... go Joe!

Unfortunately I am afraid we'll have to change the thread title soon. Besides the forks (the ones of from your EXC will swap right in ), swing arm and wheels (EXC ones will fit with the right spacers ), there really aren't any DR parts left.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #483
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well the forks and shock aren't dr650 there drz400 so that counts them out the rear wheel is off a dr350? but the front wheel, swing arm, rear brake system and back bone is still dr650.

I'm not going to start robbing bits of my exc to feed the my habit so stop encouraging me.

so far the beast consists of the folowing bikes

dr650= frame, swing arm, front wheel, rear brake
drz400= suspension, front brake master cylinder, air box, sub frame, rear plastics.
dr350= rear wheel
gs500= engine, wiring, controls, front mudguard
ktm 690 sm = fuel tank
ktm 950se erzberg= mufflers
honda cbr1100= front brake caliper
honda cbr1000r= steering damper

I think thats it. The good thing is the important parts are still suzuki.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #484
Travmoto
almost there...

Oddometer: 221
Nice frame FrankensteinJoe! Pity that latice work will be hidden by the tank.
Travmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #485
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
I'm starting to think you could have just made your own frame from scratch and gotten exactly what you wanted!

Nice work there... Do us a favor and don't sleep this week.

Work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up....
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #486
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones
I'm starting to think you could have just made your own frame from scratch and gotten exactly what you wanted!

Nice work there... Do us a favor and don't sleep this week.

Work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up work on the bike take pictures post them up....
Ok i get the point you want more pictures
Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #487
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
Ok i get the point you want more pictures
Beer first.

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #488
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

well if your gonna bring some round I wouldn't say no.

What kiwi lands version of tooheys old.
oh yea if your coming round you have to bring some 2mm welding rods to.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #489
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #490
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer

I could really do with a pint of McEwan's or even some cat piss Tennents would be nice

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #491
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah fucking fuck fuckers.

I have just been looking into getting the bike registered and it turns out that its not as easy as i was first told.

Before i started this project I did some research on the legality's of the engine swap and according to the qld goverment transport website If i want to change the engine and the engine is not offered by the manufacturer in the said bike I need to get a modification plate from an engineer.
This was not a problem because the harley bike shop can do mod plates for engine changes or so he told me.

I went to the transport office today to get the correct forms for doing the engine swap and while i was there i asked the lady at the counter what the modification code needs to be on the form she had no idea so she took my number and got back to me later in the day with some bad news.

She said that no one realy knows how to go about getting the bike complianced because no one has ever asked for this to be done before but she gave me a couple numbers for engineers to talk to and she is posting a a few forms for me to fill out.

The first engineer i spoke to didnt realy no what the go was and refused to get involved he did give me as much advice as possible but basically he said it would be a massive headache.
The second engineer seemed to be a bit more clued up. He told me to fill out all the forms and send them away with as much information as i can on the different engines and he reckoned if there was enough information They might just approve it without an engineers certificate but they might request some more info and a certificate.

Basically its doable but its going to take along time (MONTHS)
Its not going to cost much more than i originally thought maybe $400 at most.

Unfourtunatley me and the bike are signed up for our first race in 4 weeks so i think that i'll have to take another bike.

bugger
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #492
Travmoto
almost there...

Oddometer: 221
Is the DR still on its current rego? Hmmmm
Travmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #493
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

yep but i'll never get the bike past scrutinering at the race with different engine numbers also i really cant be asrsed getting pulled over by the cops and having to explain the different engine number.

I've been given a few numbers to call so we'll see what i can find out.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #494
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Pissed %$#&%$$(*^^&$

I looked into frame modification ideas some time back and only found one engineer in Victoria that was willing to even talk about it.

I do know of someone in Melb that has built a frame jig that can certify a major frame modification and has an engineer that he uses. He also told me that some of the custom harley companys here use bikes that are already registered so to not deal with the re cert????????

I don't know for you but in Vic once a vehicle is registered then until that lapse's the vehicle doesn't need another roadworthy........ like you say, theres not really any way round this one..........

But, as you have proved before, there is light at the end of the tunnel somehow.......
Old 03-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #495
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

There are definitely ways round this little set back its just i don't have the time to get it done before the race which i have to be at by the 2nd of march.

I have turned my attention the my ktm 520 I will attempt to make it capable of doing the long highway stints needed to get to and from the race.
I'm going to fit the rear wheel of my dr to it and fit an oil cooler also seeing as i've got the time i can now make a better nav tower set up than i already have.

Anyway thanks for all your suport guys and I promise I will finish the bike. I'll start working on it again in a month or so.