Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #121
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Let me congratulate you on the impressive size your cojones must have Señor Joe. I love the angle grinder as much as the next guy but mine hasn't cut off anything structural yet.

Are you planning on hauling around any luggage? I would guess that the DRZ frame should be reinforced for that, albeit being aluminum it will still be much lighter.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #122
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Let me congratulate you on the impressive size your cojones must have Señor Joe. I love the angle grinder as much as the next guy but mine hasn't cut off anything structural yet.

Are you planning on hauling around any luggage? I would guess that the DRZ frame should be reinforced for that, albeit being aluminum it will still be much lighter.

I will be using it to haul luggage. The drz boys don't seem to have any problem carrying stuff on the back but yes i will still add some reinforcing.

It all looked so easy in my head but now that its on the bike it is going to be a fair bit of work making neat and strong mounting points on the frame.

I haven't welded steel for a long time so i hope i haven't forgotten how to do it.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #123
dylandr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
holy crap!

you got balls mate! Would never think of doing something like that! Question... Why not use the drz complete frame with trips shocks and all and build the 650 motor into that? Sure that would still be a challenge and be a kick ass build? Silly question. Sorry. I'll shut up now. Show us more! Loving it!
dylandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #124
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandr
you got balls mate! Would never think of doing something like that! Question... Why not use the drz complete frame with trips shocks and all and build the 650 motor into that? Sure that would still be a challenge and be a kick ass build? Silly question. Sorry. I'll shut up now. Show us more! Loving it!

That's a very good question and I'm not very sure how to answer it.

I'm just going with the flow I never intended to use drz plastics but someone told me they might fit but they didn't even come close so that's what made me think of using the drz subframe.

I'm sure the 650 motor would be harder to fit to the drz than fitting the odd drz part to the dr.(well thats my excuse)
Old 07-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #125
dylandr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Laugh

good excuse... glued in place... waiting for your every move!
I really dig this thread! Don't stop!

dylandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #126
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandr
good excuse... glued in place... waiting for your every move!
I really dig this thread! Don't stop!

I'll try not to let you down.
more updates at the weekend.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:03 AM   #127
NOSIGN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
FARk YEAH! That chop was hardcore! Lovin it!

... and i thought the wire brush was the beez neez!

DR650SE ('97) current project
CBR954 ('03) daily ride
CBR900 ('96) the 'ol days
CR250 ('03), 125 ('89), 80 ('85) the 'ol days
KX80 ('92) the 'ol days
NOSIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 AM   #128
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

I forgot to get the metal to make the subframe mounts so i didn't really get much done this weekend.

I did manage to cut off what was left of the old subframe and give the area a clean up.

Here's some pics.

Did you ever do something and then regret doing it.

There's not a lot of meat there.

There is a little bit reinforcing on the inside. There is a small amount of surface rust on the inside of the frame.

The top frame sections have a fair bit of rust in them not bad seeing as the frame is 12 years old.

I got the head and barrel back from the machine shop yesterday.
They skimmed 1mm (I told him 0.8 but he forgot) off the head and a tiny bit of the barrel they also did a three angle valve job and bead blasted both the barrel and head.

Very clean

A before and after.

I was thinking of painting the engine black. what do you think of that idea would it look good or bad?

That's all for now folks.
Maybe if your good girls and boys i'll do some more work during the week and post some pics.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 AM   #129
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
what about what about squish?
Sorry i forgot about this until i just read your update.

Squish or squish clearance is the measurement from the outer band of the piston to the cylinder head at TDC.
It is generally way over 1mm on stock engines,reducing it to around 1mm,maybe 0.9mm with a titanium con rod will improve general performance.
It is normally done by measuring with compressible media (hollow solder / blue tack etc) at TDC then as needed removing material off the base of the cylinder using a lathe face plate and mandrel.
I see your shop machined your cylinder that will change the squish clearance but by how much ?
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #130
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cheers for the explanation mate but I'm afraid that it went strieght over my head though.

They took 0.1mm of the barrel.
I was planning on fine tuning the compression ratio using different thickness base gaskets. Would this be still ok to do or is it better to change the head gasket thickness?

Thanks

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
Sorry i forgot about this until i just read your update.

Squish or squish clearance is the measurement from the outer band of the piston to the cylinder head at TDC.
It is generally way over 1mm on stock engines,reducing it to around 1mm,maybe 0.9mm with a titanium con rod will improve general performance.
It is normally done by measuring with compressible media (hollow solder / blue tack etc) at TDC then as needed removing material off the base of the cylinder using a lathe face plate and mandrel.
I see your shop machined your cylinder that will change the squish clearance but by how much ?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #131
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,460
Joe I'd be a bit worried that they have taken off so much metal. When I had performance work done to my engine they didn't skim the head or barrel but took one layer out of the head gasket to make the squish clearance better. I was told if 2 out of the 3 layers were taken out I would end up having problems with clearance. Now this would differ with every engine so doing a dry run to check piston to head clearance is going to be adviseable. Mandatory if your running a high comp piston.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #132
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

She'll be right mate.

The clearances should still be ok but I will fit it all together and then check the clearances. I will alter them with thicker gaskets if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
Joe I'd be a bit worried that they have taken off so much metal. When I had performance work done to my engine they didn't skim the head or barrel but took one layer out of the head gasket to make the squish clearance better. I was told if 2 out of the 3 layers were taken out I would end up having problems with clearance. Now this would differ with every engine so doing a dry run to check piston to head clearance is going to be adviseable. Mandatory if your running a high comp piston.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #133
atsoc82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Hi mate
Its all looking very shmick and pro. I could see a new job in custom DR's . Hows the faring coming along.
Cheers chris.
atsoc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #134
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsoc82
Hi mate
Its all looking very shmick and pro. I could see a new job in custom DR's . Hows the faring coming along.
Cheers chris.
"Shmick and pro" you have got to be kidding.

I'm taking the easy way out with the fairing and getting it from CPW in WA.
so all i have to do is alter the sides to fit. its been ordered so its just a mater of time.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 AM   #135
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozimick
Hi Joe,
Well I have just wandered in here for the first time and I might add the project is coming along swimmingly Hopefully will catch you later this week with a fairing

Mick
I better tidy the work shop then.