User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
VikB OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
KLR650 + KLX250S or KTM690R?

I'm a 2010 KLR650 owner. It's a great bike. My 2nd KLR and it's very reliable. However, I am getting a little board as I come up on 10 years of KLR ownership with no other motos in the mix.

So I'm pretty set on getting a new bike in 2015.

I can afford to sell the KLR and buy a new KTM690R or keep the KLR and buy a new KLX250S.

Some things to consider:

- I ride to work 50kms round trip on a slow speed [80-90km/h] highway daily in the summer and 50% in the winter when it's not uber wet
- the roads get salted to prevent ice in the winter plus it's very wet here both of which corrode the bike
- my riding is paved road, logging road and easy offroad
- I'm a lightweight tourist and explorer not a hardcore offroad guy, but I do appreciate keeping things light so I can ride like a moto not a bus
- I'm a lifelong moto rider 45yrs old now, but pretty average skills - I don't push my bikes hard
- pretty basic mechanical skills...I change the oil, lube the chain and bolt farkles to the bike...the rest gets done at a shop
- I won't be doing any major changes to the bike. Bolt on a rear rack and skid plate - that's about it.
- no covered bike storage so my bike lives outside in the driveway
- I've never owned a really nice brand new moto

I like the KTM because it's sexy and has more power than my KLR. I figure it should be a lot more fun to ride without being stupid powerful. It should be good on the paved and easy dirt that I'll ride. My main concern with it is that riding such a sweet bike year round is going to trash it fast, but I can't really afford to keep the KLR as a winter beater and get the KTM as well.

The KLX weighs the same as the KTM...so much lighter and more maneuverable than the KLR. I live on an island without any real highspeed highways so it's fine for all my local riding despite having less power than the KLR. It will make the most of my limited skills offroad without killing me. I can keep the KLR for winter commuting and if I want to do a longer road tour that wouldn't be fun on the KLX and ride the KLX the rest of the time. My main concern with the KLX is that it will be boring to ride unless I'm doing something challenging offroad.

Winter rains have set in. So I've got some time to think while I save a few $$ and plot my new bike.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated to help me make my mind up.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
I wouldn't consider the KLX but how about 500EXC. On the other spectrum what about a 800XC. The 500 you'd find yourself doing a lot more exploring offroad and with the 800XC you'll be taking a ferry for longer loops.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,729
I ride a standard 06 KLX250 to work most days and it is a 130Klm round trip, mixed 100KPh motorway, secondary 90Kph highways with some long 80Kph stretches as well.

I don't mind it for that and it handles it OK, I find it fun on dirt roads, but would honestly rather be on my 640 or Gas Gas 250, but that is to be expected.

My only concern with the salted roads is that the newer KLXs are made in Thailand, and while I would have said it wouldn't be a problem a while ago, after witnessing all the rubber grommets on my brothers 08 KLR650 falling apart in 6 months, and some dubious looking metals in my KLX I would look into it now.

A KDX is way cooler than what ever you ride...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,334
I'd keep the KLR for commuting and pick up a smaller bike for playing. Personally I like the wr250r over the KLX if you can find one for the right price, and a KTM EXC over both. A 690 doesn't deserve to live outside year round.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,851
How about the WR250X? Slap some knobbies/dually tires on it and then..........
Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Salted and sanded...

My KLX has gone through 2 winters...it's paid a price, but a good coating of Boeshield's T-9 before the nasty conditions and it's helped a ton. Anti-sieze every bolt and things are good.

A small non-powerful bike is perfect in crappy conditions.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
VikB OP
Studly Adventurer

Good point on the WR250R - worth considering instead of the KLX.

I'm not interested in any of the heavier ADV bikes [BMW GS, Triumph XC, etc..] the KLR fits the bill just fine in that department.

I'm either going to get a lighter bike or not bother spending the $$ at all.

I had a look at the 500EXC at the KTM dealer, but it's the same $$ as the 690 and I'm never going to need/use that level of offroad performance. So it's not a great choice as a 1 bike to do it all mission.

I agree that leaving the KTM690 outside year round is kind of a shame. I can cover it, but ya it does deserve a nice heated garage!

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!

VikB screwed with this post 10-26-2014 at 08:50 AM
Old 10-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,004
With your limited off road, I bet you could make a DRZ work really well despite the narrow range gear box. Add a pipe and FCR carb and you have a decent hot rod there, with more power than either WRR or KLX at about the same weight.

No shortage of knowledge or parts for them either.

On leaving it outside, well, will it matter in 50 years that you let a bit of weather hit your motorcycle? Enjoy the ride buddy, cause we ain't here forever! Get what you want, ride and enjoy it. Weather, wear and tear be damned.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,221
As delivered the 690 is an expensive playbike, you gotta spend money on it to get it up to the touring level of your KLR.. If your just doing dayrides and such it will be fine, but on a long day the seat may be an issue..

Like already mentioned the DR 400 would make a very good second bike to your KLR... I would go that route over the smaller 250 as there is not much of a weight difference...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
VikB OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
As delivered the 690 is an expensive playbike, you gotta spend money on it to get it up to the touring level of your KLR.. If your just doing dayrides and such it will be fine, but on a long day the seat may be an issue..
The only mods/farckles I'd add to the KTM are:

- rear rack
- rad/engine guard
- possibly skid plate depending what the stock unit looks like

My idea of touring is very minimalist - something like ^^^^^. Not the Touratech side and top box sort of thing.

I've been down that road in the past and concluded I add rather have few comforts with me and enjoy the ride of a light bike than the other way around.

That's part of my motivation for getting a lighter moto. I've streamlined my camping gear as far as I can and still have fun.

That photo above is what I'd tour with for a week+ of self-supported camping on my mountain bike and I use the same gear on my moto just with some extra tools.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
MTK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I looked at KLR's before I picked up my 690's
I love my 690. The power, combined with light weight.
I commute, and multi day tour. The versatility has surprised me.
It sounds to me like it is the bike for the riding you do.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I'd keep the KLR for commuting and pick up a smaller bike for playing. Personally I like the wr250r over the KLX if you can find one for the right price, and a KTM EXC over both. A 690 doesn't deserve to live outside year round.
+1

If I had only your initial criteria, I'd say get the KLX.

I have a DR650 and a KTM400, great combo for what you are thinking.

Keep the KLR and find an 2000-'07 KTM 400,450,525 (plated) with the RFS engine. Bullet proof. I have 10,000 miles on mine without a teardown and it still runs great.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
The only mods/farckles I'd add to the KTM are:

- rear rack
- rad/engine guard
- possibly skid plate depending what the stock unit looks like

My idea of touring is very minimalist - something like ^^^^^. Not the Touratech side and top box sort of thing.

I've been down that road in the past and concluded I add rather have few comforts with me and enjoy the ride of a light bike than the other way around.

That's part of my motivation for getting a lighter moto. I've streamlined my camping gear as far as I can and still have fun.

That photo above is what I'd tour with for a week+ of self-supported camping on my mountain bike and I use the same gear on my moto just with some extra tools.

What about fuel? Does the 690 carry enough to meet your requirements?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
VikB OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
What about fuel? Does the 690 carry enough to meet your requirements?
I'm expecting ~200km range from the 690. That's just a guesstimate so I need to validate it. I'm not particularly throttle happy when I am out exploring in the middle of nowhere as I know I can't afford to crash since I ride solo most of the time.

I'll probably buy a Rotopax container for my rear rack no matter which moto I get as none of them come with a big main tank and I don't want to add one.

Riding to work and around town I'm more likely to punch it between traffic lights and stop signs, but gas stations are plentiful so I'm not worried about that end of things.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #15
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post

I have a KLX650 and 250. One is doing mainly road work including dirt/gravel, the other is so light in comparison and will be doing dual sport work. Trails where I ride call for a light maneuverable bike like the 250. Bigger bikes like the big KTMs are going to carry more of the weight up higher than a 250, making them a bit tougher in tight terrain.

I just got done running the 650 on a roughly 200 mile road run on a bunch of winding backroads in SE Ohio, then about 100 miles the next day on dirt/gravel. Perfect for both. Going to 17" wheels over the winter.

I like having the two different functioning bikes. They may not be the fastest/quickest/lightest but I only have about $6000 in both, buying the 650 with 1710 miles and two years old the 250 had 15,000 and 4 years old. Having fun with both and can have a trusted friend ride with me if I want. Or ride one while the other is having some work done on it. Nice part of two instead of one.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote