User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
delta224 OP
projects for life

Oddometer: 4
Question suggested price for a 1992 DR 650

Hello all, I am looking at getting my first true adventure bike. Right now I have a 1981 kz440 that I bought off of craigslist for a small sum and ride to and from work, school, and basically everywhere in nice weather. Unfortunately I have the good luck of finding the perfect bike for first my brother and then my best friend for steals of prices. This fall I found my brother an 86 suzuki GSX F 600 for $1000 dollars with around 30,000 miles (not amazing but not bad) that was owned by a mechanic. He loves the bike, I like it quite a lot. Then, yesterday, I found my friend the bike he has been into since long way round, the suzuki v-strom. This is his first bike. He got it for $1900 (lowest i've seen in a while) with 59,000 miles on it. Turn key with a few extra weird wires and bar risers. I like my bike, I really do, but I am constantly finding myself jealous of the speed of the GSX and the dirt capability of the DL. My fantasy bike trip would be up to Massachusetts to one of their rideable state forests and then screwing around the trails. I've had little minibikes and right now a ke100 1976 that was a trade for a snowblower but they are too small and too loud. So right now I believe I'm caught up in new bike fever. The DR sounds like it might be the bike for me, but I just don't have the money for a current one (still in school, low pay part time job..) so I am looking at this guy:
A 1992 DR 650 11763 miles HID headlight and "Custom exhaust" whatever that means. Kick only. for $1000. The main question is is this a fair price? But my secondary dilemma is that I don't want to end up with something like my Kz again, where if I had waited something way better had come up or more capable, you know? Right now a thousand dollars is worth quite a lot to me and I'd like to think I am using it wisely. So, what are your opinions on the price, that style of bike for what I want to do (nothing I could just use the search function for, I know how much you forumers hate that ), general bike buying look out fors, or any general life tips for a motorcycling young adult? Thank you for taking the time to read about my situation and I look forward to hearing your opinions and ideas.
*note on the Kz- I actually love the bike, more every time I ride it. I think I may have been a little harsh on it in the post for a $350 bike.
Attached Images

delta224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,018
If the 650 starts OK hot or cold,doesnt smoke,doesnt have parts falling off,it should get you buy for awhile. If it needs chain/sprockets/tires/grips/etc,etc then I would either look elsewhere or hammer him down on the price.
800.00 should really be plenty for a 92 that runs ok.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
delta224 OP
projects for life

thanks for the input! The ad was originally posted for 1400 and had been for the 2 months that it was online before I contacted him. Do you think even a thousand is too high then?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
71olds
Motorholic

Oddometer: 1,053
Honestly I think you will grow tired of kick starting a 650 single real quick.

Yes you do feel like a man when you kick start that big single but when it does not start you will curse it like no other.
00 Suzuki DRZ400S
71olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta224 View Post
thanks for the input! The ad was originally posted for 1400 and had been for the 2 months that it was online before I contacted him. Do you think even a thousand is too high then?
Its always good to try to bargain some,its also hard to sell older bikes sometimes.
The kickstart thing can indeed suck at times though.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
delta224 OP
projects for life

Are these old dr's as capable off road as the new ones?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta224 View Post
Are these old dr's as capable off road as the new ones?
Neither are good in dirt without some work,both heavy the older one being heavier.
Waiting and saving a little might turn up something better,DRZ or something.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 482
Here in the Bay Area - a friend just got a 97 dr650 w 9k mi kick start on first try owned by a mechanic for $1500
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 482
Oh and to see how the dr650 is in the dirt - ask one or two of 80 or so of us who were on them at the adv rider Death Valley rally a couple weeks ago - seemed like a very popular choice
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote