Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #241
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d
@calrider :

What you should have done is the bolt itself. Notice how the swing arm bolt is hollow. You drill three small holes , two where your swing arm bearings are and one in the middle where it goes threw your engine case. Tap and plug one end and zerk the other. Then when you load it up with grease you will hit the swing arm bearings and the critical spot where it seizes , the middle of the engine case.

Why drill both ends of the bolt? Seems like one end with a zerk and the three holes in the end would be fine.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #242
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by midengineracer
Why drill both ends of the bolt? Seems like one end with a zerk and the three holes in the end would be fine.
Because the hollow core goes straight through the bolt. Need to seal the end up with a screw (or some other sort of plug) so that the grease you squeeze into it through the zerk doesn't just squirt out the other end of the bolt.
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #243
tri650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
My 03 XR

Here is my new to me 03 XR250r. Just picked it up and finally got it out today. What a hoot to ride! Since it was in the 30's I just rode it a few miles on pavement and some close trails. This bike is smooth and has enough power to be fun. Surprised at the smooth power delivery and smooth ride - not like sitting on a paint shaker (like my TE510). The previous owner gave me the starting procedure and it worked great, despite the fact it was so cold. Already thinking of how I will mod this bike - probably make it street legal so I can use it for commuting and running around town. Thinking about what type of tires will work best for street/trails. Also, what DS package I should get. Love it so far and looking forward to some warmer weather.

tri650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #244
2wheelsgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Hey guys pardon me if this has been covered in this thread. I have a line on a 91 XR250R that has been used but not abused. The guy is young and does not know much about his bike. It appears as if it's all there. He or someone has cobbled together enough headlight, tail light and turn signals to get it plated. It's not a baja designs kit. Anyway he is asking $1000 for the bike. I think that is negotiable for sure. It does not have any leaks, non of the fins are broken, it appears to have good brake pads and great off road tires on it. The exhaust is stock and in decent shape. All the plastic is there but faded a bit. I'm wanting a bike for woods riding. I like the idea of a plate as well. If I were to get this bike, would a baja kit upgrade the lighting source as well as get the correct head lights, tail lights, turn signals etc? Also I'm thinking of starting around $700 on my offer. I don't want to take advantage of anyone but don't want to overpay either. What say you guys? Thanks

Steve

2007 Road Glide
1995 R1100GS
1991 XR250R (plated)
1979 XT500
2wheelsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #245
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Baja kit won't upgrade the "source" (ie. the stator), but they have a high output stator as an option. So do Ricky Stator and RM Stator.

Other than that, Baja kit does what you need, although at a bit of a steep price. You'll be paying almost half the value of the bike just for the lighting kit. Also, the tail light is not DOT certified. Although the signals and headlight are. I've seen a couple threads out there of folks that have rigged together their own system as it seems like someone has done for the bike you're looking at.

I put a Baja kit on my XR250R and it has been working fine. Although the components are a bit cheap. The high beam pushbutton jammed when I tightened the assembly onto the handlebar. I had to shave it down a bit. Also, the tail light housing is plastic and the metal tabs that contact the brake light keep busting out of their cheap plastic mounting. Epoxy seemed to help for a while, but now it seems to have cropped up again.

The stock tail light on my XR250R is more robust and can easily be modified to accept a dual filament bulb. (Take it apart, you'll see).

calrider screwed with this post 02-11-2010 at 10:34 PM
Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #246
2wheelsgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply. Any reason to steer clear of a 91 model? I was for sure that my next bike would be an electric start. And even though I'm not thrilled about kick starting all day in the woods, I can do it. Plus, these bike's look like a great platform to work from. Also must still be a decent aftermarket for these as lots of people still ride them.

Steve

2007 Road Glide
1995 R1100GS
1991 XR250R (plated)
1979 XT500

2wheelsgone screwed with this post 02-11-2010 at 08:38 PM
Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #247
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsgone
Thanks for the reply. Any reason to streer clear of a 91 model? I was for sure that my next bike would be an electric start. And even though I'm not thrilled about kick starting all day in the woods, I can do it. Plus, these bike's look like a great platform to work from. Also must still be a decent aftermarket for these as lots of people still ride them.

Steve
I love my '91. I am thinking about selling my '87 for $1000 (because it is plated, street legal) since it very rarely gets used.
If the stuff he has on is legal, I would leave it alone and improve the suspension instead.
It takes me a few kicks to get them going but when they are warmed up (about 30 seconds) I can fire it up in one kick every time.
I only wish I had E-start when I screw up on a serious climb and stall it. But not that often...
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Quote:
Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #248
2wheelsgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you sir. I'm going tomorrow to see if I can close the deal. If I do, I'll post pics and have more details.

Steve

2007 Road Glide
1995 R1100GS
1991 XR250R (plated)
1979 XT500
Old 02-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #249
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Thumb

Quote:
Thank you sir. I'm going tomorrow to see if I can close the deal. If I do, I'll post pics and have more details.

Steve
Good, I don't think you will regret it (you should enjoy it a lot).

(Ignore the small bobble at the turn, that is why you should stand)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../1/-km--bT0jRs
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Quote:
Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #250
2wheelsgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello, I took the plunge and bought the 91 I was looking at. The bike has been serviced but not lately. The PO said that he had not ridden it since Dec. I got it home, checked the plug, oil and put in fresh gas. I kicked it with the choke on and it fired on the 5th kick. It is a little cold natured but I got it running. Everything seems to work well. I will need to adjust everything to spec just to satisfy myself but I wanted to make sure it would run first. I got it home with tax, title, license plate, insurance and an extra set of tires for $950. I am very pleased with this purchase. I have some pictures in the photobucket but I'll be damned if I can remember how to post em.

Steve

2007 Road Glide
1995 R1100GS
1991 XR250R (plated)
1979 XT500
Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #251
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Quote:
Hello, I took the plunge and bought the 91 I was looking at. The bike has been serviced but not lately. The PO said that he had not ridden it since Dec. I got it home, checked the plug, oil and put in fresh gas. I kicked it with the choke on and it fired on the 5th kick. It is a little cold natured but I got it running. Everything seems to work well. I will need to adjust everything to spec just to satisfy myself but I wanted to make sure it would run first. I got it home with tax, title, license plate, insurance and an extra set of tires for $950. I am very pleased with this purchase. I have some pictures in the photobucket but I'll be damned if I can remember how to post em.

Steve
Good job Steve!! There is plenty of advice out there on how to deal the the "cold naturedness" of the xr250's.

Basically, when cold, choke it, no throttle. When it catches and dies, go down to half choke. Try it a couple times. If it doesn't start, go to full choke again. Repeat. Once it fires, slowly edge up the throttle 'til it's running fast. I often just turn up the idle screw 'til it warms up and then adjust it back down once it's warm.

If it dies when hot. (falling over or whatever):
Throttle wide open, compression release open. 10 kicks. then let go of throttle, let go of compression release. no choke. kick it to start. if it doesn't start, repeat the procedure. If you've disconnected the compression release as I have, then ignore the compression release part. (just a bit harder to kick).

good luck steve... welcome to the clan!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #252
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Quote:
I have some pictures in the photobucket but I'll be damned if I can remember how to post em.

Steve
Congrats!

For photobucket, when replying, click on the icon above the text box that looks like a postcard of a mountain (it is just under the undo arrow). If you just leave the pointer on the icon for a second, it will say Insert Image, then you know you have the right one.
Then type the web address to the picture you want to post (I open the picture, copy the address bar, and then just paste in the pop-up box).
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
Quote:
Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #253
2wheelsgone
Gnarly Adventurer

For your viewing pleasure.

[IMG][/IMG]

2007 Road Glide
1995 R1100GS
1991 XR250R (plated)
1979 XT500