Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #31
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Picked it up this afternoon!!!
Put about 50 miles on it,runs great.I'd post some pics but the new pic set up has got me all messed up.

Try XR'sonly.com for the side pannels.
Congrats. I took mine out on Friday. I had a blast on it. I spent most of my time helping my SO get used to her new DR-z125. So not as much riding time as I'd like to have gotten but she loves her new bike, so that is what matters the most to me right now.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #32
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
Congrats. I took mine out on Friday. I had a blast on it. I spent most of my time helping my SO get used to her new DR-z125. So not as much riding time as I'd like to have gotten but she loves her new bike, so that is what matters the most to me right now.
Ya gotta put in the quility time with mama!

I already thru the little XR up on the lift.Not to much to do,a get a new set of side pannels[ones melted]a seat cover,and tune up,fluid change,and just alittle farkle'n.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #33
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Ya gotta put in the quility time with mama!

I already thru the little XR up on the lift.Not to much to do,a get a new set of side pannels[ones melted]a seat cover,and tune up,fluid change,and just alittle farkle'n.
Nice, I tore the new DR-z into pieces when I got her. I had a hell of a time starting my XR when I took her out. Should the charge on the Baja Design's battery matter on how easy she is to start? The battery was dead, no lights when on start (second setting on the headlight switch). When charged, a secondary light comes on in the headlight (not high nor low just another little light). Once I got her started (bump and boy was I was tired) she started first kick.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #34
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

I don't know??
I don't have a battery.Kick,and kick,and,kick,bang run'n,i guess you could call the white thing up front a light,and the red thing in the back stays on when shes run'n,but thats all i got,or need.
I'll try to keep the plate dirty.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #35
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Seeking advise

Before I head off in all directions....

OK, recent aquired a 93 xr250r. Starts and runs out pretty good. My concern is "White Smoke" very strong at idle once the bike is well warmed up. I am to old to be interested in Peak preformance, but if I need to get some top end work before thing deteriorate, where do I start.

So, should I suspect rings, maybe valves? might the just need an adjustment or could they be warn-out?
What would I spend for a complet top rebuild/ Do I need to include new cam and timing chain? Remember, the bike is running OK.

So, What say you? I'm not much of a mechanic but willing to get my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, advise.
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #36
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswork
Before I head off in all directions....

OK, recent aquired a 93 xr250r. Starts and runs out pretty good. My concern is "White Smoke" very strong at idle once the bike is well warmed up. I am to old to be interested in Peak preformance, but if I need to get some top end work before thing deteriorate, where do I start.

So, should I suspect rings, maybe valves? might the just need an adjustment or could they be warn-out?
What would I spend for a complet top rebuild/ Do I need to include new cam and timing chain? Remember, the bike is running OK.

So, What say you? I'm not much of a mechanic but willing to get my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, advise.
Welcome!

I just picked up an 88 for single track purpose,and love the little thing!

What i would do,if i were you,is first thing pull the plug and see what it says.
Is the smoke white,or blue?
White smoke would make me think its run'n lean.Everything else seems fine,like power,no weird noises,etc?
If it was blue smoke,i'd start with valve seals,was it sit'n for awhile?
I would start simple,and go up from there.So white smoke at start up,,,,,,read the plug and see if shes lean,open the air box and check the filter,if thats OK,then check your carb intake gaskets,and see if its got a leak and suck'n to much air.I've seen bikes do that because the air filter wasn't on right.Or some guys will do the free flow'n filters or cut the snorkle off,and open the air box up for more air,and not rejet,or not rejet properly.
Did the bike come from a lower elevation?Might be a jet'n issue.
If ya think its a ring problem,see if ya can do a compresion test,that'll tell ya if she need a set of rings.
A top end,if you do the work yourself shouldn't be that much money.And if it was me,and i had the top end off,i would do the cam,time'n chain,its a weak point and might save ya trouble down the road.
Dignostics,is the hardest part of mechanics!!!
But if it isn't your only bike,and ya got the time,start with the simple things and go from there.Beleave it or not alot of the time its something simple.
Keep us infromed,and we'll figure it out together.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #37
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Thanks AWM

Now if I just had a Honda Sparkplug socket?

For Real, Just the kind of advise I hoped for, Thanks again...
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #38
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Yea there plug is pain in the ass!!!!!
But that will tell the story.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #39
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm

Yea there plug is pain in the ass!!!!!
But that will tell the story.
Damn, do you need a special socket to get the plug out? I think I should change the plug on my '03. I'm hopefully going riding tomorrow.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #40
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
1998 Xr250r

Hi Guys,
I recently sold the wife's Super Sherpa. She isn't interested in riding anymore. I have a chance to pick up a plated 1998 XR250R. I want something smaller to go with my BMW G650 XChallenge. Sounds like the little XR would be perfect. I'll stay plugged into your thread. Thanks for getting it going!
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #41
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Well its offical!Crashed on the powerline today.
No damage,except my ego.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #42
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
No damage,except my ego.
Yeah, my ego has crashed more n once...
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #43
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,490
I think it's a shame Honda stopped making the XR250 and now all you can get is the CRF230 which isn't nearly as beefy as the old XR250 was.

If I still lived up in the North East I think an XR250 would be close to perfect for the trails I ride up there; I rarely get out of 2nd gear on my KX250 in the trails near my folks place in W. Mass.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #44
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Fox
Hi Guys,
I recently sold the wife's Super Sherpa. She isn't interested in riding anymore. I have a chance to pick up a plated 1998 XR250R. I want something smaller to go with my BMW G650 XChallenge. Sounds like the little XR would be perfect. I'll stay plugged into your thread. Thanks for getting it going!
Bert
Jump on it before someone else does. It's riding season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
No damage,except my ego.
I took mine out today. Prefect day. Not so prefect trail. We only got to ride a short distance because of trees across the trail. I got tired of lifting my bike over the trees. But it was a good afternoon none the less.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #45
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
I think it's a shame Honda stopped making the XR250 and now all you can get is the CRF230 which isn't nearly as beefy as the old XR250 was.

If I still lived up in the North East I think an XR250 would be close to perfect for the trails I ride up there; I rarely get out of 2nd gear on my KX250 in the trails near my folks place in W. Mass.
I agree it's a shame. Why didn't they just change some plastic and call it the CRF250(whatever). I have no doubt it would still do decent in todays market.