Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #46
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
Jump on it before someone else does. It's riding season.

I took mine out today. Prefect day. Not so prefect trail. We only got to ride a short distance because of trees across the trail. I got tired of lifting my bike over the trees. But it was a good afternoon none the less.

No,no,no lift'n.Stand up,push down on the front end,keep her in second,pull in the clutch,catch some RR's,and pop the clutch!
Just make sure you got a good skidplate,and when in doubt pin it!

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #47
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
No,no,no lift'n.Stand up,push down on the front end,keep her in second,pull in the clutch,catch some RR's,and pop the clutch!
Just make sure you got a good skidplate,and when in doubt pin it!
With my luck I'd loop it. There were ways around but the trail sides were getting torn up.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #48
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
With my luck I'd loop it. There were ways around but the trail sides were getting torn up.

Swheeet!

I'd kill for a trail that isn't 6-7"'s of mud and ice.

They make a really good pocket saw,its a chainsaw blade with handles,its called a saber saw,by ultimate survial technoliges.I carry one in my tool bag,and if i run into the tree down in the trail,i whip it out and it cuts thru everything pretty damn quick!I think it was $29 bucks.Just one of those good things to have in the tool bag.I have seen guys use a folding bow hunting saw,they work good too,but won't go thru the bigger stuff like the saber saw will. And they take up more room,the saber has a carry'n belt case,and when in the bag its alittle bigger then a leatherman.

I see you need a skid plate,before i'd try the slam and concour method anyway.XR's only makes a nice one for $75 bucks.Just my two cents.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #49
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Swheeet!

I'd kill for a trail that isn't 6-7"'s of mud and ice.

They make a really good pocket saw,its a chainsaw blade with handles,its called a saber saw,by ultimate survial technoliges.I carry one in my tool bag,and if i run into the tree down in the trail,i whip it out and it cuts thru everything pretty damn quick!I think it was $29 bucks.Just one of those good things to have in the tool bag.I have seen guys use a folding bow hunting saw,they work good too,but won't go thru the bigger stuff like the saber saw will. And they take up more room,the saber has a carry'n belt case,and when in the bag its alittle bigger then a leatherman.

I see you need a skid plate,before i'd try the slam and concour method anyway.XR's only makes a nice one for $75 bucks.Just my two cents.
Other then the trees it was near prefect soil conditions. Cool little saw, maybe I'll get one. I was wishing I had a small axe/hatchet. I got a DG Baja XR400 skidplate off ebay hoping it'd fit. They used to make one for the XR250 but I can't find one. The rear bolt holes don't line up. It's one beefy plate and I'm bummed it doesn't fit. I'm going to see if I can get it too fit or maybe get one built. I like how it covers the frame oil bolt.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #50
aicram22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
XR250 Pics

Its nice to see we can add pictures again. I rode all winter on the ice. Its been punched up, has a hot cams, and an XRs exhaust. Easy to handle and quick enough for an old guy. I also have an Xr650r. I may like the Xr250 better. Its easier to handle when I get in trouble in tight NE woods
Attached Images

aicram22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #51
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Other then the trees it was near prefect soil conditions. Cool little saw, maybe I'll get one. I was wishing I had a small axe/hatchet. I got a DG Baja XR400 skidplate off ebay hoping it'd fit. They used to make one for the XR250 but I can't find one. The rear bolt holes don't line up. It's one beefy plate and I'm bummed it doesn't fit. I'm going to see if I can get it too fit or maybe get one built. I like how it covers the frame oil bolt.

As long as it fits around the frame and motor,just drill new mount and oil drain holes.

Hey,we can post pics again without a smugmug??Where in New Englans you ride'n,aicramm22???

Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #52
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
As long as it fits around the frame and motor,just drill new mount and oil drain holes.

Hey,we can post pics again without a smugmug??Where in New Englans you ride'n,aicramm22???
The plates a tight fit against the frame rails. I'm going to do a little thinking/planning before I butcher the plate. You don't have to use Smugmug, although it does help ADV stay up and running. You can host pictures on any of the free picture hosting sites, photobucket, etc.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #53
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Pictures???

I know,i don't have a pic of the XR yet.Man the 8 layers of clothes make me look fat.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #54
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Heres the saw i use sixer,its 3.2 oz.It was $29.99,i find alot of great things for trail ride'n/camp'n at backpack places.
I think i got this at,a,,,,,www.lifeviewoutdoors.com
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #55
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Heres the saw i use sixer,its 3.2 oz.It was $29.99,i find alot of great things for trail ride'n/camp'n at backpack places.
I think i got this at,a,,,,,www.lifeviewoutdoors.com
Nice. I scored some brand new Cyrca Pro-bend Handguards off CL today. $40. I spent sometime today setting them up. Not finished installing them yet.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #56
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Mmmmm,farkles!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #57
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,049
Thanks

Just found this thread and had to contribute. I don't own the bike any longer but thought I'd better post contribute as the XR250 was an awesome bike. This is the XR250 BEFORE the makeover... I never even rode it as a 250. It came with a firm seat which was something I was going to buy if it didn't have one, different cover and a much firmer foam, that allowes the rider to move around on the seat much more easily than the standard set up.

A mate of mine was handy with the tools and liked to be paid in beer, I'm hopeless on the tools and don't drink beer. A match made in heaven and what a master piece was created...

The other side of the equation...

Biggest change was the 280 kit, then the rest were minor weight saving and cosmetic incl. new head light and tail light, remove metal rear subframe, new background stickers on the side panels and head light and new tank stickers.

Would have loved a staintune exhaust but got the suspension sorted instead...

I used the bike over the next six years to trail ride, ride in club enduro's, a round of the NSW state enduro series, a round of the Thumpernats (natural terrain motocross). Don't get me wrong I'm no gun rider just a back of the pack club rider but this bike did it all! The cause of low race results was........................ the rider!

Let's face it a slow bloke on a fast bike is still a slow bloke. A fast bloke on a slow bike is still a fast bloke.

Finally sold it when I moved out west and had no time let alone anyone to ride with. Only thing missing ws the electric starter.

Hail the mighty XR280
Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #58
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Well,last night i finaly stopped ride'n it in the mud and snow and strated the fix'n for the season.
Nothing major,the old girl just needs to get buttoned up alittle.A,,,i'm alittle over anal.
Shit it took an hour to get the garage sorted out,this bike here,and that bike there,throw the old ladys crap out under the car port,it shouldn't be in there!She gets the house,[2600sft]and i get the one car garage!
But i finally got it so i can start the tear down,and rebuild.
Ordered the Maier side covers and headlight cover,got a XR650 seat cover[it says 650 on it ]a match'n Honda fender pouch[orange],some good old steel Moose bars,and Scott grips.Change the fuilds and set the suspention the way i want it,fix the rear brake[drum ]tie up the wire'n,grease the fit'ns,and put the new UNI in.
My camera sucks!!!Rather spend money on bikes!But i'll try to get some pics when shes done.
I had a fellow inmates wife do some custom vinil strickers for it to,my new race colors.Should be pretty good.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #59
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb

Just found this thread and had to contribute. I don't own the bike any longer but thought I'd better post contribute as the XR250 was an awesome bike.

...snip...

Hail the mighty XR280
Nice to see one from across the pond. How popular is the XR250 on your side of the Earth?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #60
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Nice to see one from across the pond. How popular is the XR250 on your side of the Earth?
The Honda XR's used to be the ducks guts for trail bikes... though I have to say that the Yamaha WRF's and the KTM four bangers have well and truly taken the mantle.

Sadly it appears that everyone wants bang for their bucks, in doing so they appear to have lost the reliability side of bikes. Lets face it the XR was no lightweight, but it was reliable as all get out! They were ridden by everyone from first timers through to gaining first place in the Australian Safari and everything in between.

There are fewer and fewer around these days, which is a shame. But those that are around appear to be used by first timers.

Top thread fella's!