ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #121
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: CenCoCal
Oddometer: 1,220
Looks good. It must have been looooud before you added that. Loud sucks. My poor XR250 been parked for a bit now. I have plans to take it out this weekend. One of the forks seals needs replacing.
__________________
"There are no such things as accidents—just two people competing for the same point on the space-time continuum."

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #122
where is neutral?
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
Looks good. It must have been looooud before you added that. Loud sucks. My poor XR250 been parked for a bit now. I have plans to take it out this weekend. One of the forks seals needs replacing.
Personally, I do not have a problem with loud pipes, it is an awful lot of fun to ride with loud pipes but I do try to be aware the environment I am riding in. It is nice to be stealthy when I want to be! As far as jett'n, I am a noob, so I will be trying a few diff disc #'s to see what makes a diff versus straight pipe.

What should I be looking for ? What is the worst thing that can happen ??? If I am too lean will I burn a cylinder, too rich foul a plug? Most of my previous mech experience has been 2 stroke outboards. Right now, my criteria is; it runs good, it runs bad ... it idles, it don't idle.
where is neutral? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #123
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by where is neutral?
Personally, I do not have a problem with loud pipes, it is an awful lot of fun to ride with loud pipes but I do try to be aware the environment I am riding in. It is nice to be stealthy when I want to be! As far as jett'n, I am a noob, so I will be trying a few diff disc #'s to see what makes a diff versus straight pipe.

What should I be looking for ? What is the worst thing that can happen ??? If I am too lean will I burn a cylinder, too rich foul a plug? Most of my previous mech experience has been 2 stroke outboards. Right now, my criteria is; it runs good, it runs bad ... it idles, it don't idle.
Well,if ya now 2 smokes,then you know what a fouled plug looks like.
If the PO even jetted it up for the,,,a,,,,lets say free flow'n pipe. Then it'll be way rich,[black plug,foul'n],he didn't,then its been way lean.Basicly it comes down to read'n the plug.
Black fouled,gray,white lean,what ya want is a clean plug with a shade of Tan.
Fouled plug,no biggy,it'll just foul plugs,and get loaded up and give ya carbon deposits.Lean,you don't want to lean!!!!!She'll get hot,[fast],pop on slow downs,on engine brack'n when the throddle is shut off.And if its real lean burn a hole in the piston!
You might not be able to get the right mix with just the disc's.A jet kit is cheap and easy enough to install.If its lean,you go up in jet size,if its rich you go down.
Once you get the mix right for your pipe and air intake,you'll see a power increase and fuel milige will go up.Win,win for the right tune!
__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #124
where is neutral?
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 8
Hey great explanation! Even I can understand it!! Right now it is nice and tan and not dirty. I will bring my socket with me next ride to see how it looks after several hours rid'n.
where is neutral? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #125
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,395
Hey,glad i could help!
I found out years ago that ADVrider is one of the most important parts of my ride'n tool box!
Great info good people.I've found alot of great places to ride,good people to hang with,and endless things to do just hang'n out in the Reginal section.Pick the area where your from and join in.
Oh yea,and we gotta keep the good old XR250R thread going strong!
But never,ever forget to RIDE!
__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #126
where is neutral?
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 8
Hey AWN ... what the heck is that on your avatar's head .. one half of a huge butternut squash ??
where is neutral? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #127
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by where is neutral?
Hey AWN ... what the heck is that on your avatar's head .. one half of a huge butternut squash ??
Its AWM,ah,,,they call me the,Angry White Man.

And thats my middle finger,in front of my face.That pic was 5:15am on a bike trip thru Maine last year,and i was in no mood for pictures!
__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #128
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: CenCoCal
Oddometer: 1,220
I've had the avatar's turned off for a while now. I'm very easily distracted. oooooo look at string.

To keep the thread on subject. I'll be riding my XR tomorrow to school on the pavement. I'm selling my truck so the XR will be pulled into commuting duty for a bit.
__________________
"There are no such things as accidents—just two people competing for the same point on the space-time continuum."

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #129
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!
 
calrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada
Oddometer: 673
Finally! an XR250R thread!

I fell in love with biking again a 3 years back when I rented an XR250L for a week in Northern Thailand. As soon as I got back, I bought an "R" and dualsported it. Been in love ever since!

Recently wreckluse started a tool pool here in Calgary and he helped me put together rear footpeg brackets that will also double as lower mounting points for a luggage rack. Here are some photos of the procedure. (Also see my sig line for some nice ride reports on my "R"

OK, here are my new footpeg brackets. Thanks for guiding through this Wreckluse! All I really did was file, saw and grind. Wreck did all the thinking and complicated stuff.

Starting with the bent stock just to see how it might fit:


Getting ready to tear off the subframe to weld the brackets on:


Wreck cutting off a bit of extra steel:



Some tack welds to keep it all in place:


Bike's looking a bit naked:


tabs mounted on subframe to give it a bit of extra strength and hold the bracket:


Bead Blasted and Ready to Paint:


Giving the work a coat:


And there it is...New rear footpegs for an Honda XR250R.

They will later double as the bottom mounting bracket for a luggage rack. That's the next project.

Thanks Wreckluse!!!
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #130
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,395
Welcome aboard!
We needed more pics,we gotta keep this thread going.
__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #131
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: CenCoCal
Oddometer: 1,220
Cool progect Calrider. Are planning on riding it two-up? Or are you just going to use those as mounts? I love the XR for trail riding, but I'm a big dude and when it comes to riding on the street my poor XR does not like it. That just means I get to buy a bigger bike. When I move back to CA I'm going to round up a larger cc bike for traveling etc.
__________________
"There are no such things as accidents—just two people competing for the same point on the space-time continuum."

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #132
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!
 
calrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada
Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
Cool progect Calrider. Are planning on riding it two-up? Or are you just going to use those as mounts? I love the XR for trail riding, but I'm a big dude and when it comes to riding on the street my poor XR does not like it. That just means I get to buy a bigger bike. When I move back to CA I'm going to round up a larger cc bike for traveling etc.
Hi Sixer, Yes I'm planning on riding it two-up. Check out my sig line for a ride report I did of a 2-up ride through Colombia on a 200cc Chinese Enduro. When I'm truly in "touring" mode, I don't tend to do too many miles per day, so I'm fine with putting along at 90 km/h. But it's useless if I just want to get from point A to point B. But fine for commuting around town. I've got the stock sprockets, which are fine for the trails but top out too soon on the road. They're due for replacement so I might order two sets. One set for trail riding. One for touring. Now what I'd really love to do is drop an xr400 engine in an xr250 frame. Don't know if that's workable or not.
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #133
sixer OP
I suffer from Ainrofilac
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: CenCoCal
Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by calrider
Hi Sixer, Yes I'm planning on riding it two-up. Check out my sig line for a ride report I did of a 2-up ride through Colombia on a 200cc Chinese Enduro. When I'm truly in "touring" mode, I don't tend to do too many miles per day, so I'm fine with putting along at 90 km/h. But it's useless if I just want to get from point A to point B. But fine for commuting around town. I've got the stock sprockets, which are fine for the trails but top out too soon on the road. They're due for replacement so I might order two sets. One set for trail riding. One for touring. Now what I'd really love to do is drop an xr400 engine in an xr250 frame. Don't know if that's workable or not.
I've read your report. The stock gearing is truly worthless on the street. You spend all your time shifting. Did you have your suspension re-worked? Mine is in need of some service and I'm thinking maybe new springs and oil. What would you say your total weight traveling 2-up is?
__________________
"There are no such things as accidents—just two people competing for the same point on the space-time continuum."

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #134
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!
 
calrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada
Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
I've read your report. The stock gearing is truly worthless on the street. You spend all your time shifting. Did you have your suspension re-worked? Mine is in need of some service and I'm thinking maybe new springs and oil. What would you say your total weight traveling 2-up is?
Haven't done anything to it yet. Will need to do something with suspension for 2-up. I'm guessing two people plus gear is about 320-330 lbs. (Two fairly light people plus very light packing.)

Is it possible to get a wider ratio gearbox for the "R"? I think the "L" has a wider ratio box.
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #135
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,395
I think i'd try it with sporket changes,first.I mean trani swap is a big job.
Might be easyer to swap the XRR suspention to a XRL.Just my two cents.
If you go to www.cycoactive.com and goto trail tips,there a section for a XR400R 6th gear.Its not a 6th gear but its how those guys,swap out sprockets on a big run,so they can get the road gear and still maintain the offroad gear'n.Besides they have a great product and good tips.
__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014