User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
backroadbob.com OP
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 186
Show Me Your Odometer - It's All That Matters

And what it's from, and when and how long you've owned it, and how many miles you contributed. Maybe a short list of where you've ridden it. It's all that matters.

That's 137,665 miles. My 1982 Yamaha Turbo purchased new in 1984. Next week I'll own it thirty years. Still ride it. All original except for a handful of wearable parts and it's accident-free.

Ridden every state east of the Mississippi and five Canadian provinces on day, weekend, and one to two-week trips. No commuter miles.

In this photo I'm packed for a two-week trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. If I was camping I'd add the soft saddlebags.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Cool picture...pretty neat idea for a thread too. When I was a kid, the first thing I'd look at on a car was the exhaust...like to see how many..duals or single. Bikes were always a race to the clocks...speedo. The old Triumphs had 150 mph speedos....when your 10 & bench racing the higher #s were worth more.

Then speed forward to 1982 or so and those crazy federal mandated 85 mph speedos. What a letdown!
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
I learned to ride on a non-turbo version of that bike.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #4
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
I rode to Starbucks once but the odo is busted so no pics.

Can I still be in your club?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,644
WOW! 4588.8 miles a year, you are a riding fool.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Hope this thread takes off. One of my favorite things to do at bike gatherings used to be to walk through the parking lot and see how many miles the bikes had on them. Still bugs me the new digital speedo's are dark until the key is on. Ruined my fun.
To me, it's more about the bike than the rider. Although it does impress me when someone manages to hang onto a bike long enough to rack up big miles. I have too short of an attention span for that, 44K is the highest mileage I've put on a single bike.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Teckel
Pragmatic

Oddometer: 1,832
135 posts in 8 years. What a post whore. Lurk more, post less.

Oh BTW, that's a good looking SECA. Those are fun bikes to ride.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,642
I have had a lot of bikes since 1984! Currently have about 5000 on the VTX I picked up last December. Only about 1000 of those are mine.

this is from my '99 Connie, which I no longer own. kinda blurry, but it is all 9's.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 612

My '69 Guzzi Ambassador, one December day in 2012.

Bought it with 36,360 miles in April of 1997. Was my only bike for the first few years, but afterwards there have been flirtations with many others.

Back when I was working for someone, I'd take week + trips - GA, NC, WV, mostly to Guzzi rallies. Since I became self-employed, I've been limited to day trips or three day weekends. Lots of time in WV. 95% of the miles were on state highways, backroads and "paved pig-paths". 107k miles now.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,127
My Turbo when I sold it two years ago:
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
my 01 Conc...

...showed this WAY back when. Almost got there again (~195k) but a moose got in the way in AK...

Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 911
Wish I took a pic when I took possession of it with exactly 4 miles on the odometer.

I took this pic when I got home on our second anniversary. Two years later and exactly 42k miles more.

Edited to add where I rode it. Mostly commuting, but also some touring, riding the coast, riding the mountain passes. I've ridden it to Yosemite to climb, and I rode it there to watch Alex Honnold & Hans Florine set the current speed record climbing the nose of El Cap. It was my only bike for most of that period but I added another to my stable towards the end. Currently at around 45k miles. I anticipated hitting 50k in April, but I added the other bike--which I've put about 4k miles on.

davidji screwed with this post 03-19-2014 at 09:46 PM
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I don't think I've ever seen a bike larger than my old Z50 with a speedo that registered no more than 85, even non turbo.

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
backroadbob.com OP
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 186
Nice Posts

Trapperj - What are you riding now?

Contevita - The XJ650 Seca (Euro) was a nice-looking bike, but it never sold well here. It was very popular in Europe, though. When I bought my Turbo in 1984 for $2799 they were selling the Euro for $1499. I told a friend and he couldn't pass it up. He still has it.

Weldman - No. No haters.

Barnone - I live in the northeast, on a mountainous plateau, near the second-highest peak in the state, but the good roads start at the end of my drive. I have five months of ice-free roads, four months of nice riding weather, three months when it doesn't snow, two months without below-freezing temps, and one month of almost-perfect riding weather. You may not put more than 5K on one bike in a year. I've always owned more than one bike, this one just has the most miles.

Vicster - 44K? That's a lot more than most. The average motorcycle never makes it to 10K. It's sad. What did you rack up your mles on?

Teckel - As you can see from my odometer, I've been out riding, not posting. More posting = less riding.

Mr. Breeze - How many years to do the 100K? Does anyone other than BMW have a 100,000-mile club?

MZ Rider - Sweet Guzzi! Did you restore it? I test rode the MZs, but ended up buying A DS instead. How do you like your CCM? Nice collection. I've ridden all of them except that one.

JimVonBaden - The Turbos have been rising in price. Hope you got a decent dollar for it.

Paulie - You put 195K on one Connie? Kudos to you. What are your secrets? Nice trips.

Davidj - Must be nice to live in CA where you can ride all year. I love the PCH views (but not the traffic), the Inland roads, and the SoCal car/bike scene.

Old Green - That's not a speedometer, that's a Wheel-Spin Indicator. When you roll it on in top gear, the tire breaks loose at 85 MPH, but unless you've ridden a Turbo you wouldn't know that. Besides, we don't need no stinkin' speedometer.

Thanks to everyone who posted, except the anonymous haters. You notice they didn't post their odometers.

My next thread will be "Ban The Haters".
That'll separate the posers from the riders.
Who wants to step up and join me?
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com

backroadbob.com screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 09:40 AM
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Took this picture when my 09 Road King was two years old, when I traded the bike it was less than four years old and had 62k miles. My current bike I've had for a little more than a year and I've rode that bike about 18k miles. Rode 80k miles in the last five years and in those years I've been to more than 18 National Parks, British Columbia and 13 U.S. states.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is online now   Reply With Quote