Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
triumph street triple or street triple r?

Yes, I have been doing my reading on these 2 bikes. And both of them barely fit into my needs list for what I want to do on a bike. Which is.....sport touring. I am currently riding a f650 gs,2008, with the detuned 800 engine. It's all set up with hard bags, hand guards, windscreen ect, Ect., perfect for my purposes.

The problem......?

It has to be one of the most un - inspiring bikes I have ever ridden. Everything works perfectly on it, it looks great but I am bored shitless. Before this bike I had the 03 bmw thumper, which was more fun in a way because I could wring it's little neck endlessly trying to get more from it, which I never got, of course, but it was fun all the same.

I had the opportunity to ride a kawai er6n for 2 weeks and it was a great little bike. Fit me and everything just wished it had a little more zip. I didn't realize how much I missed leaning forward slightly and having my heels behind me instead of underneath me.

Now I want a bike that makes me go.....Fuck, yeah!.....but I also need to be able to tour on it. It also needs to be lightweight with a seat height I can work with to drop about an inch. And not top heavy. I hate that.

I have investigated the er6n, love it but for other reasons, I think I am passing it by, discarded the versys, the bandit, the sv, the gladius, those are all top heavy, or just heavy or the seating position isn't quite right. The gs 650 thingy I discarded as well.

I like naked bikes although I do realize their practicality for sport touring is limited and a compromise at best. But I still like them.

Which leads me to the triumph. Everyone whom I talked to about getting a naked all said....street triple. Now, my question is.....if I am just a casual rider, 5'4 , about 130 l s (currently) but I do like to rip it and lean it occasionally, am I better off with the non R version?

Do I need the upgraded suspension and brakes and the lighter wheels? If I can get that for a little more than the standard version, should I? I am just trying to decide if I can get a smokin deal on a r, should I jump but if I can get a smokin deal on a standard, should I?

The real truth is that both these bikes aren't really made for what I want to do, I would need to get some rear racks fabbed, and various other bits and pieces to make it a basic sports tourer, heated grips, taller screen and the like.

I don't really want another bmw either but thanks for suggesting it.

so, in a nutshell, would the standard version do me just as well as an r for my purposes? I am almost 54 and I want a bike that makes me go.....Fuck, yeah!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Strypes
Planting Claymore!!!

Oddometer: 144
Answer:

Get the "R" version. Visit twistedthrottle.com & farkle away. They'll have what you need to make it a "sport tourer". You're welcome! Good luck & enjoy!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Strypes
Planting Claymore!!!

Links:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...roduct_fit=596

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...roduct_fit=596
Old 10-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Sorry, in all of my rambling I forgot to state I will be buying used but nothing earlier than 2010/ 2009 at the outside. I also should have asked if there is anything I should know model change wise from 2010 or even 2009 thru to 2012. No way can I afford anything newer than 2012 at the latest.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Strypes
Planting Claymore!!!

The 2nd link is for 2006-2011 Triumph Street Triple/R models.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
The Blue Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Get the R. It would take about $2000+ to upgrade a Standard to the same level. I know, because I've done it, and it's a pain in the butt. Brakes and front suspension are the weak point on the older Standard models. The Rs have that fixed out of the box for negligible extra price.

The tough part will be finding one, because Street Triple R owners don't let them go...
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Strypes
Planting Claymore!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Rider View Post
The tough part will be finding one, because Street Triple R owners don't let them go...
Truth.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strypes View Post
The 2nd link is for 2006-2011 Triumph Street Triple/R models.
2008 was the first year for the street.

The 2008-2011 are essentially identical, just minor tweeks here and there, change in cluster in 2010, and tuning/electrical revisions, the 2012 is first "ugly" one that shed the round headlights but added ABS. Even with second hand parts you can't build an R for less than the addition in the sticker from base to R, the forks, caliper and master cylinder all are changed out. From triumph you are looking at $1500 just for the forks, and another 800 for the brake bits. Best case you can find a set of 675 Daytona forks for 500(ish) and use R6 monoblocks (they fit) with whatever radial master cylinder you can get your mits on.....and still looking at a higher price.

.....and yeah, getting owners to come off of their Rs is something of a trick.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,632
R.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,215
I expect that there are zero R owners who think "I should have gotten the base model."

I expect that there are many base model owners who regularly wish they had opted for the R.

Seems like $1000 well spent, and you'll probably make most of that back if you ever sell it.

gmiguy screwed with this post 10-21-2014 at 08:09 AM
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
vintagespeed
fNg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
2008 was the first year for the street.

The 2008-2011 are essentially identical, just minor tweeks here and there, change in cluster in 2010, and tuning/electrical revisions, the 2012 is first "ugly" one that shed the round headlights but added ABS..
i believe 08-09 are the same, IIRC 10-12 they changed the trail. and ABS was not available until '13. my '12 R didn't have that option.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
If you get a good deal on either model, you'll be happy. I have an '09 that I've put almost 90k on through commuting and touring and I'm still loving it
It was a standard and I upgraded the suspension, mainly because I lucked out and found "R" forks at a steal.
Two of my friends that had Street Triples recently switched over to the Tiger 800 as their do it all bike.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM   #13
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I have owned an R since they came out in 09, it's a fun bike, the 1st thing to change or modify is the seat, a lot of riders on the Triumph forum like the Sargent seat, it never felt that great to me, it's sitting on shelf in my basement, had Spencer do the stock seat, but it still wasn't quite right, took another stock seat to a local auto upolstery guy, he widened the front and flattened out the forward slope, and stretched the stock cover, it is the best of the 3, but it increased the seat height. I have the Arrow low mount pipe and fly/windshield on mine, it helps some but extended riding at above 80 mph is tiring. The seat triangle is a bit cramped, small bike, thought about lowing the pegs some but for how I use it, it does okay. The motor is fun, for solo riding, it has plenty of low end power, in the mountains 3rd or 4th gear and you can move at a good pace and not have to row the shifter, or you can ride it the higher gears and still power out of turns. No problem in 16,000 miles, check to make sure reg/rectifier was replaced in the recall, 09/10 are the same, 11/12 they changed the lights, and the finish on the canisters, and maybe a few smaller items. A well farkled used one can be had for $5-7k, depending on condition, model yr, or location.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #14
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 644
Why not look at a Triumph Sprint ST? I know it's not naked.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #15
vintagespeed
fNg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
Why not look at a Triumph Sprint ST? I know it's not naked.
cuz you didn't read the title of this thread. ?