User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
muttstang OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
2001 GSF600S - good deal?

So there's a 2001 bandit 600s about 3 hours away from me that I can have for $1250 with around 20k miles on it.

It is red, new tires, new battery, some minor road rash on the left side (front fairing, rear fairing, and engine cover)

It looks like I can get the fairings pretty cheap on ebay if I watch for those. It seems to me like a good deal

The right side looks great in the pictures and he posted a video of it running on facebook.
muttstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,108
Buy it, quick. Great bikes.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
muttstang OP
Adventurer

kind of what I was thinking. I'm liquidating a couple of firearms to fund it. Got one pistol that will hopefully be sold tomorrow and some .223 ammo to get rid of.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,358
Check the alignment of the subframe. Those bikes have one piece frame/subframes. A drop will have the seat pointed off alignment.

Great bikes though.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
muttstang OP
Adventurer

I'll check for that. Planning to head down there next saturday. It would suck to drive 3 hours to find a bike with a bent frame! Hopefully that's not an issue.

Really hoping to get back on 2 wheels by next season.
Old Today, 09:10 AM   #6
muttstang OP
Adventurer

any other thoughts on if it is a good/decent/bad deal or not? I've heard both and am planning to drive the 6 hour round trip to go look at it.
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #7
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Are you expecting to do better in that price range? It's dirt cheap, if it's a runner, go for it!
roma258 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #8
muttstang OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
Are you expecting to do better in that price range? It's dirt cheap, if it's a runner, go for it!
Not really. some people on the max suzuki forum seem to think it is overpriced but I don't think I agree with them. The selection in South Dakota is a bit lacking.. You see lots of cruisers, lots of old crotch rockets, and most things are over-priced. Anything that is more of a sports-touring type of riding posture costs a good bit more.
Old Today, 01:52 PM   #9
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I owned a GSF600S years ago. Like most Japanese bikes, they are rock solid if maintained. I don't know who thinks $1250 is a bad deal though? If it runs, has a clean title and rides okay then I'd go for it. You rarely see anything worthwhile in the sub-$1500 range that actually runs right, so if it works grab it up.

Talk the seller down another $100 or so if you really want to, but that's not a bad price.

I put about 25,000 miles on my '02 in the year and a half I owned it. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, cheap to insure plus I'd get crazy good MPG at over 50mpg. As I recall it's a large-ish tank too at just over 5 gallons inlcuding reserve so I could really go far on a tank. It didn't have a ton of power and I'm no small fry at 6ft 205lbs, but it'd go pretty well once she was wound up a bit. Suspension isn't very modern at it's price point, but for not super aggressive sport-touring it did fine for me.

I eventually sold mine to get something with a little more power, but I never had any issues with the Bandit.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #10
iamcanjim
Face drop

Oddometer: 722
They do have lots of common parts with the the GSXF family (Katana). In fact, virtually any air cooled suzuki 4 cyl will fit, including the GSXF750, GSXF1100, GSF1200, GSXR750 and GSXR1100.
iamcanjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:46 PM   #11
muttstang OP
Adventurer

of course, then one of the guys pm's me the craigslist add to his FZ1....