Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #1516
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlson9 View Post
i just have to ask.....are vfrs boring ?,ive never ridden one, but they seem to be silky smooth.ill just be riding on the congested freeway to work and on occasion a twisy back road.hows the power,thanks
They don't LOOK that exciting. But they kick ass. And if you go gear drive you'll fall in love.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #1517
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post

I've now pissed several VTEC owners in spite of what I hoped to be an honest appraisal and VFR 500 and 1000 owners are mad cause I've ignored them - but since I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to those versions, I'll put my blinders on and assume you're only interested in the 750-800 versions.
The 500 and 1000's are NOT VFRs, neither are the VF700/750's -- They are VF model Interceptors. The VFR line started in 1986 with the VFR700/750.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #1518
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
vfr 800

i just bought a cbr 600rr,then turned around and sold it,nice bike ,but riding it around in town i felt like a pretzel.i just want a comfortable,good milage bike,maybe a honda 600f4i.however the vfr 800s are just a bit more cash and i think a great bike,im looking at a couple 25th aniversary red wht/blue models for about $5700,with 14 15 thousand miles on them,very tempting ???
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #1519
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
The 500 and 1000's are NOT VFRs, neither are the VF700/750's -- They are VF model Interceptors. The VFR line started in 1986 with the VFR700/750.
Well, I said I didni't know what I was talking about.

Honda confused things when they hung the Interceptor tag on the VFR.

Making a VFR400 didn't help either.
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #1520
smack doogle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post

Sir, I beg to differ. The 1984 VF1000F is not a VFR. You are correct. My 1985 VF1000R is the first of the VFR's and includes the gear driven cams.

By smackdoogle at 2012-03-17
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #1521
smack doogle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Boring? - not hardly!
When they were regularly being given 10 best awards by the m/c press, a common complaint was that they lacked "character" , but in addition to being a subjective opinion of a very undefined trait, it was a charge leveled against other Hondas.
I think it was a way of checking off the "you have to pick at least one nit" box, cause there weren't any others to find.

No disrespect to the VTEC crowd, but when that version was introduced in 02, there were some valid criticisms to make against the bike and it fell out of favor with the press. The bike was still an excellent all round mount and it didn't get worse in any aspect of riding, but it fell further behind the pack in comparative power output, and the complexity of the VTEC did not return any real benefit to offset the loss of the gear-driven cams.

The latest iteration is a nice machine as well and a way of continuing some of the VFR legacy, but it's an entirely different kind of bike in regards to target audience imo.

The 750s and 800's were not the strongest engines by any means, but more than enough power for all conditions excepting maybe extended two-up touring. The advantage of a relatively lightly stressed engine is that they last forever. The VFR1200 does not suffer ANY deficiency in this department (there are still more beastly bikes out there, but if you can't get the job done with 160 hp, your problem is not with the bike. )

I've now pissed several VTEC owners in spite of what I hoped to be an honest appraisal and VFR 500 and 1000 owners are mad cause I've ignored them - but since I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to those versions, I'll put my blinders on and assume you're only interested in the 750-800 versions.
I am very offended the oldies weren't inlcuded but I understand why. We are old and have issues.

Besides, I'm parking my VF1000R and adding a 5th or 6th gen. VFR as my daily rider.

To help the original poster, if don't like carbs, stay away from any VFR older than 1998. Be sure to check the R/R and electrical connections on any VFR (some will say don't worry about it but having an extra R/R under the seat is good insurance). Otherwise, find one, pay the man and ride, ride, ride.
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #1522
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack doogle View Post
Sir, I beg to differ. The 1984 VF1000F is not a VFR. You are correct. My 1985 VF1000R is the first of the VFR's and includes the gear driven cams. By smackdoogle at 2012-03-17
If Honda had intended the VF1000R (Nice bike, BTW) to be a VFR they would have called it a VFR1000. The VFKR has a VF engine with gear driven cams. The VFR is a clean-sheet design.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #1523
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
i just bought a cbr 600rr,then turned around and sold it,nice bike ,but riding it around in town i felt like a pretzel.i just want a comfortable,good milage bike,maybe a honda 600f4i.however the vfr 800s are just a bit more cash and i think a great bike,im looking at a couple 25th aniversary red wht/blue models for about $5700,with 14 15 thousand miles on them,very tempting ???

Yes, especially if they come with ABS. Note though, that the service schedule calls for a valve inspection at 16K. If you do it at a shop, they'll hit you for 10 hours or so labor plus whatever parts and other maintenance they do . . .. Could easily be a $1k service. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #1524
ducatisarge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
At one time I had two VRFs in the garage, a 2001 and a 2002. The 2001 came about when my wife decided that her 600F4i was too uncomfortable. The bars and pegs aren't bad, but the seat is like a piece of plywood with pleather stretched over it. A Corbin was tried, but too dished out in cruiser fashion and a Sargent was too wide as well. So I don't know that the all day comfort will be there with the F4i, they did come out with that single seat version instead of the two separate setup like the original F4i so it might be [much]better. Something to consider I suppose.

As for the VFRs... (should I throw my flame suit on for this?)

The 2002 was the better bike. The 2001 sounded better for sure, but the 2002 was sportier, had nice factory bags, and I felt more engaged when riding the bike. The 2001 was no slouch, but the 2002 just felt a bit more on the sport side of the sport:tour equation. The 2002 I did a 1400 mile day, not sure I would have done that on the 2001. Either VFR was sneaky fast, I'd glance down from time to time and notice I was doing a good 20mph faster than I thought I was; it's a nice silky smooth bike. Where as with my current bike, it lets you know that you're making it work, the VFRs never really felt stressed.
ducatisarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #1525
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack doogle View Post
Sir, I beg to differ. The 1984 VF1000F is not a VFR. You are correct. My 1985 VF1000R is the first of the VFR's and includes the gear driven cams.

By smackdoogle at 2012-03-17
Such a cool bike ! Thats a keeper right there !
Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #1526
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
I have a 1991 vfr 750 that never lets me down in the fun aspect. Some say its not too good on the eyes compared to other sporty bikes but its plenty quick and easy to whip around. I passed on hard bags because of how wide they would make the bike but I find it real comfy on long trips so Im going to mount a top case to add a bit of storage asap.
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1527
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
service

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Yes, especially if they come with ABS. Note though, that the service schedule calls for a valve inspection at 16K. If you do it at a shop, they'll hit you for 10 hours or so labor plus whatever parts and other maintenance they do . . .. Could easily be a $1k service. . ..
so i just picked up the 07 vfr800 with 13.5k miles.im getting used to it,and so far seems like the right choice over the 600 f4i.but.... a one thousand dollar service at 16 k miles !!!,youve got to be kidding me !!
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #1528
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 962
Out for a couple long rides before I change the tires. Just hit the wear bars after last ride.
If anyone needs tires I found a deal, a set of BT-023 radial GT at Chaparral 217.00 delivered.

zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #1529
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
z$bill... There are some resemblances...

Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #1530
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 962
Hey Sfarson,
by the view in the background, it looks like you can groom your tires better than I can.
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote