Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #1561
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
100% personal opinion, but the factory luggage seems small to me, but it looks a ton better than my ugly GIVI's (seen above)
I hear ya, i am trying to stick with oem for this upgrade, perhaps a little narrow-minded, but i have come to expect a certain quality, fit and installation from oem honda. Id like to try to get them if possible over the givis or the like.

Found the bags for sale: http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...2-MCW-1G0.html

Can anyone confirm the part number based on my color? Is it considered "Dark red"?
EDIT: I spoke to my local honda dealer and confirmed the part number is for dark red. The bags are ordered :) Now time to start planning my DEN->LA Road trip!

Thanks!

bobfab screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 12:14 PM
bobfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #1562
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
I hear ya, i am trying to stick with oem for this upgrade, perhaps a little narrow-minded, but i have come to expect a certain quality, fit and installation from oem honda. Id like to try to get them if possible over the givis or the like.
Don't quote me, but I think GIVI makes them for Honda. GIVI is top notch stuff....just ugly for the stuff they make that is meant for a lot of different bikes
30Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #1563
Big Green Valley
Avid Rider

Oddometer: 11
I added a Sixth Gen to my garage in September 2010. It's nice to have something different, match your ride to your mood.

I haven't done any long rides on the VFR yet, but I plan on going back into Mexico and may very well take the VFR. I'd like to fit a set of dual sport tires on her as I believe dual sport tires would be better than street tires while riding through MX.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #1564
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
im going to try and research and buy a after market shock such as a penske, and revalve the front suspention with correct weight springs front and back. 2k or so budget for it i predict.
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #1565
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
im going to try and research and buy a after market shock such as a penske, and revalve the front suspention with correct weight springs front and back. 2k or so budget for it i predict.
Wow you must really like spending money. What are your reasons for wanting to do this? The VFR is not a sport bike, not for track days. Maybe I am just a giant p#$$y and don't ride hard enough. I have read about people putting sportbike front ends on to get better forks and brakes, that seems more budget friendly to me, but what do I know
30Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #1566
Mazaev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Well, I just joined the party w/ a '99 to eventually replace my Wee and though I'd say hi

Still working out a couple of kinks from the PO (said his Harley friends made fun of him for it ) but so far I love it.

Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #1567
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
If track days were the goal, you could buy a prepped dedicated bike for 2k!

Rode her into work this morning, a little chilly but an awesome ride none the less!

Pics from yesterday for proof that i got one :) :

bobfab screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 07:03 AM
bobfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #1568
justrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
My vfr

Well after searching for a VFR over the years and not finding a RC45. I bought mine from an inmate from Madison Wi. The bike had 29,000 miles on it. It had some scratches and a small dent in the tank. I bought it for 2400.00 for a 2003. I rode it the day I bought it just before thanksgiving. What a long winter its been.

We have had a nice mild winter here in Minnesota. I have put almost 2,000 miles on it and love it. I put a set of Leo Vinci pipes ebay 500 new in box, PC3 from J&P cycle clearence 149.00, Bridgestone BT23 GT`s 216.00 to my house. The Bike came with Heli bars,New chain and sprockets, Tall shield , and cover. I put a Givi topcase and mount on last week. I just love this thing I have had many sportbikes over the years and this one is just plain fun I will post pics very soon my new digital Panasonic luminx TS3 camera arrived via amazon today

justrider screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 12:04 AM Reason: Add photos
justrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #1569
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Wow you must really like spending money. What are your reasons for wanting to do this? The VFR is not a sport bike, not for track days. Maybe I am just a giant p#$$y and don't ride hard enough. I have read about people putting sportbike front ends on to get better forks and brakes, that seems more budget friendly to me, but what do I know
after about 5,000km the rear shock will leak nitrogen and u wont have a new bike feel.

I want good traction, make the tyres last twice as long, good suspention for ruff roads i travel on around here. its not making it a track bike, its making it handle and ride right.

speaking to others, a quality after market shock, which mind u, costs 1-1500 bucks. is whats on the market, not a revalving job or anything, but a propper servicable bolt in shock, with a spring for my weight.

the front forks, should also have matching springs for my weight, not too good at the front fork inners, of what to get.

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 04:18 AM
Old 04-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #1570
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
exhaust

hello,i did a search and couldnt find an answer.im putting some fmf cans on soon,so is there any type of tuning i need to do,other than a power commander which im not going to buy ?,thanks
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1571
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
after about 5,000km the rear shock will leak nitrogen and u wont have a new bike feel.

I want good traction, make the tyres last twice as long, good suspention for ruff roads i travel on around here. its not making it a track bike, its making it handle and ride right.
Right on.

Quote:
speaking to others, a quality after market shock, which mind u, costs 1-1500 bucks. is whats on the market, not a revalving job or anything, but a propper servicable bolt in shock, with a spring for my weight.
You can probably get a proper serviceable bolt-in shock, sprung for your weight, for less than $1000. What you won't get is an adjustable shock. Lindemann engineering used to rebuild the OEM shock for the VFR750f (my '94, for example) for around $4-500. They disassembled it, valved it to you, added a fill port, added fittings to allow rebuilding (required, since they were rebuilding it), and re-sprung it. It was still only adjustable for preload, but it was a very nice shock.

I splurged for a Wilbers double-adjustable (on sale for around $950 at the time), and here 4 years later...I've never touched any of the suspension adjustments on it, other than the remote preload. I probably should have sent my OEM shock to Lindemann and pocketed the difference, but then hindsight is 20/20, and I had plans for those adjustments at the time.

Quote:
the front forks, should also have matching springs for my weight, not too good at the front fork inners, of what to get.
You can do forks pretty inexpensively as well. I essentially just re-sprung mine (I did swap cbr600 cartridges in for the adjusters, but, again, never touched them), and replaced the fork oil, and it made a [B]huge[/I] difference. Total price: around $70 for used VFR800 springs (guy replaced them with race tech and just wanted them gone; they are stiffer than what came with my 750) and CBR600 cartridges.

Quality suspension is worth the money, even if you don't ever touch the track. But if you're honest about never touching the track, consider saving yourself some cash and get a shock with pre-load adjust only, and you'll be in good shape.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #1572
justrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Exhaust

You should`nt have to do anything to put slip on cans on. However the FMF cans are very loud had them on my Buell 1125R. I wouldnt rule out a PC3 it does take care of some softspots in the factory mapping right around 5000 rpm. I got my PC3 from J&P cycle for 149.00 new in a box on clearence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlson9 View Post
hello,i did a search and couldnt find an answer.im putting some fmf cans on soon,so is there any type of tuning i need to do,other than a power commander which im not going to buy ?,thanks
justrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #1573
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR View Post
Right on.

You can probably get a proper serviceable bolt-in shock, sprung for your weight, for less than $1000. What you won't get is an adjustable shock. Lindemann engineering used to rebuild the OEM shock for the VFR750f (my '94, for example) for around $4-500. They disassembled it, valved it to you, added a fill port, added fittings to allow rebuilding (required, since they were rebuilding it), and re-sprung it. It was still only adjustable for preload, but it was a very nice shock.

I splurged for a Wilbers double-adjustable (on sale for around $950 at the time), and here 4 years later...I've never touched any of the suspension adjustments on it, other than the remote preload. I probably should have sent my OEM shock to Lindemann and pocketed the difference, but then hindsight is 20/20, and I had plans for those adjustments at the time.

You can do forks pretty inexpensively as well. I essentially just re-sprung mine (I did swap cbr600 cartridges in for the adjusters, but, again, never touched them), and replaced the fork oil, and it made a [B]huge[/I] difference. Total price: around $70 for used VFR800 springs (guy replaced them with race tech and just wanted them gone; they are stiffer than what came with my 750) and CBR600 cartridges.

Quality suspension is worth the money, even if you don't ever touch the track. But if you're honest about never touching the track, consider saving yourself some cash and get a shock with pre-load adjust only, and you'll be in good shape.
looking the front end shouldnt cost more than a few hundred, yeah, i dono if i should get a basic shock or not. The rebound and damper set up right can be very useful on bumpy roads, not just a track from what i hear. i set up my cbr600f4i with a lot of tweeks and trial and error and got it to handle righ ton ruff roads. this is now my track bike. and honestly, never touched teh suspention after setting it up, and ive had it for 10 years now.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #1574
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
I've had mine a year now... 4k miles later... what a great sporting motorcycle... can't be beat... this stays in stable long term...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #1575
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

well sourcing power commander pc5, and contemplating auto tune with it