Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #1576
jorbar1551
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
My 2002 has just hit 41,500 miles without any problems except the recall. I bought the bike with 15k, and I haven't done a valve adjustment yet, although some new spark plugs might be on the way soon.
jorbar1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #1577
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Tap into America

Oddometer: 442
Vfr

My 1990 has about 7800 miles with no problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qP1NCqnvuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbar1551 View Post
My 2002 has just hit 41,500 miles without any problems except the recall. I bought the bike with 15k, and I haven't done a valve adjustment yet, although some new spark plugs might be on the way soon.
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #1578
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
You bastiges.

Now I've got a 102 page thread to read through.

Mine was a 1998. Ended up with the Wolf underseat exhaust. Aural sex.

That bike I'd take back.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #1579
MapMaster
luddite

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by linny999 View Post

Oh my!
Now you've made me drool all over my keyboard.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #1580
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,145
Mornin
Since you all are VFR fans and spend a lot of time looking at/for them, can you tell me if I'm way out of line asking $4500 for mine? I haven't had but one person come look at it, a couple fruitless emails also.

It's not perfect, but not too far off. I still enjoy it, but need something a bit more leg forward so my knees aren't tucked anymore.
It's listed in FM, so I won't link as you probably have seen it - just looking for opinions on pricing.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #1581
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
I'm in the process of getting my 92 up and going again. I had a 09 Tiger 1050 that I was riding, but traded it on a Victory Cross Roads.

Well i'm finding out i'm not much for cruisers, so it's time to get the VFR back out.

Waiting on a couple parts, and I really should pull the carbs off. I think it's got a plugged pilot jet. But I can't say i'm looking forward to the job.

It's still a baby though. Only had 46k on it. 10k are mine.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #1582
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,611
My 02 is for sale, obo. I am taking a break from bikes for a bit unless it trades for a dual sport.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #1583
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by linny999 View Post

Beautiful bike, superbly awful video. Nobody wants to hear you ramble for eight minutes. Everyone wants to hear THE BIKE!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #1584
MapMaster
luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrider View Post
...The bike had 29,000 miles on it. It had some scratches and a small dent in the tank. I bought it for 2400.00 for a 2003. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Mornin
Since you all are VFR fans and spend a lot of time looking at/for them, can you tell me if I'm way out of line asking $4500 for mine? I haven't had but one person come look at it, a couple fruitless emails also.

It's not perfect, but not too far off. I still enjoy it, but need something a bit more leg forward so my knees aren't tucked anymore.
It's listed in FM, so I won't link as you probably have seen it - just looking for opinions on pricing.
To those that have one and love it, VFR's are more precious than gold. But the uninitiated buyers don't know that yet, and those that know its virtues also know that they can be had for less than you're asking.
I didn't go searching for your post on it in the FM, no point to it really. You can ask whatever you want for it, but finding a buyer willing to meet that price is the issue. If you get a buyer, fine. No buyers - then you just might be way out of line.
Given the market and other deals out there, I think the later is the more likely conclusion (by at least a grand).

Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #1585
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
To those that have one and love it, VFR's are more precious than gold. But the uninitiated buyers don't know that yet, and those that know its virtues also know that they can be had for less than you're asking.
I didn't go searching for your post on it in the FM, no point to it really. You can ask whatever you want for it, but finding a buyer willing to meet that price is the issue. If you get a buyer, fine. No buyers - then you just might be way out of line.
Given the market and other deals out there, I think the later is the more likely conclusion (by at least a grand).
It's definitely a tough market and VFR's in general are underappreciated. Since their virtues are underappreciated, they are undervalued in the market. That's good for a potential buyer and not so good for a seller.

I know I paid too much for mine and will never get all my money back. That's my fault. I had always wanted one, ran across a trade opportunity, and took it. When I get ready to sell, I'll take a whipping. Depreciation is just a fact of life. BUT, while I have it, I have one of the greatest engines ever put between two wheels and plan to enjoy it as much as possible. That utility, the ability to ride the bike, has some value and some cost.

To the question of a specific price on the OP's bike, I'd suggest three things:
1. Make sure everything on the bike works. Nobody wants to buy and bike and then have to fiddle w/ little stuff the seller could have fixed himself.
2. Take some better photo's w/o other cars, houses, etc in the background.
3. Pull the Givi's and sell them for $500 w/ the mounts. They are not adding any more than that to the value of your bike and w/ the cash from their sale in your hands, you can drop the price a little.

It's a really cool looking bike and I hope you get it sold and find what you are looking for.

Ride safe!

KTM budget/DR350 skill set.....
AST236 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #1586
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Mornin

As a guy who's bought a "few" used bikes, I'd say the detractors are the broken mirror and other slight damage. That bike would sell for 7000$ all day here if it was clean. It's like trying to sell a house that needs paint or the roof done- most people don't want to spend the time/money; they want to buy something that at least LOOKS close to new and certainly needs no work. Hell, have a nice house but try selling it filthy and it will sit for ages, or it will sell for thousands less.

Plus the guys that are interested in a VFR would more typically be looking for a clean bike as lots of VFR's are mint due to be ridden by older riders and haven't been dropped, or the guys have had the money to fix little cosmetic things when they happened.

IF I were selling that bike, I'd replace the mirror, fix those lights, clean up the scratches as best as possible, and take good pics that show the strengths of the bike and not the small problems.

You'll get more people in the door looking at it and you'll get the money you want.
Cheers and best of luck,
Erik

IE:
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ367409011

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ368052777

ErikY. screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 10:50 AM
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #1587
smack doogle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post

+1

i have to agree. They are great bikes but they can be found for really good deals meaning, a seller will not make much money on selling one.

I sold my 02 VFR over two years ago and it was nearly stock. i had it listed for 3 months and I only got $4000 w/ 12000 miles. I see 2002-2004 VFR's with less than 25000 miles selling for around $3500 in the mid atlantic. I'm looking into getting another 02 and keeping it till the wheels fall off and I won't be paying more than $3500 when I choose to buy.

Here's a pic of mine a few months before I sold it.

By smackdoogle at 2010-01-07
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #1588
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,145
The tail lights are fixed. As for the scratches on the plastic, It's not worth repainting the whole bike for that little bit of imperfection - not really going to buff out flat black paint.
Looking for an OEM replacement mirror(if anyone has a spare let me know!) and have thought about removing the bags, but am currently using them daily.

oh,as for highlighting the good and glossing over the bad, I try to give all details including imperfections. I've sold two bikes sight unseen to the west coast and both buyers were very happy with the bike upon arrival.

Boils down to how bad I want to get rid of it. Obviously something is only worth what someone wants to pay. I had to sell my S4R for 2000 under book even though it was almost perfect.

It doesn't help that locally I'm selling to a small market where it's typically either rockets or harleys.

In the end, you all are probably right that it's better to get rid of it for what I can. No point keeping something I can only ride for a couple hundred miles without aches and pains.

Bitch of it is, I really like it. And that exhaust. yowza
Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #1589
MapMaster
luddite

Quote:
oh,as for highlighting the good and glossing over the bad, I try to give all details including imperfections. I've sold two bikes sight unseen to the west coast and both buyers were very happy with the bike upon arrival.
In the end, you all are probably right that it's better to get rid of it for what I can. No point keeping something I can only ride for a couple hundred miles without aches and pains.
Would that all sellers be so honest!

Have you looked into options for lowering the pegs and/or raising the seat to help w/ the knees?
It shouldn't take much of a change to make a big difference. The Helibars on my 96 only gained me 3/4 of an inch up and back, yet that small change completely eliminated issues that I was having with my wrists.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #1590
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
The tail lights are fixed. As for the scratches on the plastic, It's not worth repainting the whole bike for that little bit of imperfection - not really going to buff out flat black paint.
Looking for an OEM replacement mirror(if anyone has a spare let me know!) and have thought about removing the bags, but am currently using them daily.

Boils down to how bad I want to get rid of it. Obviously something is only worth what someone wants to pay. I had to sell my S4R for 2000 under book even though it was almost perfect.

It doesn't help that locally I'm selling to a small market where it's typically either rockets or harleys.

Bitch of it is, I really like it. And that exhaust. yowza
I commend you for being truthful about little issues. I've sold several bikes here in the past few years and never want a buyer to be surprised at the last moment.

I also hear you about the market you're in. I"m in a small rural town in the south where motorcycles just don't sell.

You'll find the right buyer. It just might take longer than you hoped. I'm having similar thoughts about my '95. It's a great bike and I love the sound, but my shoulders don't care for anything over a half hour (and I have Genmar risers installed).

As long as you're being honest about what the bike is (and I believe you are), the market will utlimately determine what it's worth. If you and the market agree, sell it and move on. If you don't agree, keep it and make other arrangements.

For me, interacting w/ potential buyers is half the fun, so don't miss that part of the experience. I've made some great friends here buying and selling over the past few years.

Good luck!!

KTM budget/DR350 skill set.....
AST236 is online now   Reply With Quote