Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #1621
MGN54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Found it:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=blast

Glad you came out ok. Sorry about the bike.
MGN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #1622
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
Sweet CL, rocketjohn. I didn't even see the VFR in the first pic.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #1623
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
'02 and '06

His 'n Hers

Manassas Battlefield Park

Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #1624
Krautbikeman
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,470
Just came back to the VFR fold. My 1995 750 needs the following, in order of priority:

1. Heli bar risers
2. Used after market rear shock
3. After market slip-on
4. Givi rear rack and trunk

If anyone has a line of any of these, let me know.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #1625
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautbikeman View Post
3. After market slip-on

Try Delkevic for the exhaust. Way cheaper than most units, not bad build quality and really nice sound. I had one on my '95 for a little over a year before I finally dropped the coin to upgrade to a staintune. Honestly the Delk sounded better but the staintune is a bit sturdier.

You will be able to buy one new for around $170 versus the $400-$800 of other units...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #1626
DARKWOLF
nOOB

Oddometer: 25
time for a new bike

Story goes like this. 2006, bought 600F4I new and shinny with 3my miles. 4 years later and over 30,000 miles I am more in love with riding then when I started. Early may 2010 I find myself laying on my back in the middle of the street. And suddenly without a bike. March 2011and got a XR650L. And after a lone ride of two hours on the interstate I realized that it wasn't the same. It became very apparent that I wasn't going to do any 3000 mile trips on this bike.

Well it is time to get a new bike. And 3 have caught my eye. First the BMW r1200gs-a. 2ND the BMW r1200rt. And the third Honda VFR 1200F.

I am posting this on both the VFR and BMW threads.
I am very interested in your opinions. I am searching for things like fuel economy and range, things you don't like, ease of maintenance,(like can you do your own oil changes) , what type of luggage you used, what modifications you made, and what type of riding you do.

Thanks guys and gals..

"It's never a waste of money if its done on a bike", me.

HONDA XR650L 07
HONDA CBR600F4I 06, R.I.P.- 33,000 MI.
DARKWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #1627
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I've ridden the new 1200 VFR and it's not like the 800s were. I love my 800 and was hoping for the same, or similar bike with more umph to it with the larger displacement.

I am seriously disappointed. It handles fine. Here are my chief gripes.

Luggage- waaay too small. The side bags will not hold even one helmet and the top case will only accommodate one.
Shaft- I do a lot of touring all over the place. I don't want something that could leave me stranded without parts for a week or more. I want something that I can fix wherever I land within a day or two at most.
The shaft is also not as smooth for engine braking and then accelerating again. It's a bit jumpy.
Fuel capacity- They made the gas tank smaller! The shape of it is not well designed either. I like to move around and change positions for comfort. Sometimes I'll tuck in to give my a@@ a rest. You can't tuck in on this one because of the stupid way the tank flares right where your forearms would fit.

Then there's the one aesthetic thing that bugs me. The whale d!@$ of an exhaust they stuck on it. That is the most ridiculously oversized piece of junk.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents on that one.

I love my 800 and I just wish they hadn't lost all the fine points of that bike in the new one.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #1628
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautbikeman View Post
Just came back to the VFR fold. My 1995 750 needs the following:
After market slip-on
If anyone has a line of any of these, let me know.
Check HERE: http://vfrworld.com/classifieds/show...product=4258br
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #1629
vulgar1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
My baby

I have put only 2K on it through the winter, but we are really starting to get to know each other. Amazing what you can learn about a bike while riding it in the rain for the first 6 months of ownership
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #1630
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
What top case and rack? Any pics of the mounts, looks pretty clean with the oem luggage!

Also what windscreen? Do you like it?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #1631
vulgar1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
It is the OEM mount and top case. You can do it cheaper than that, but I think it looks best this way and the paint was a perfect match The screen is a ZG I am not sure which model though. It was on the bike when I bought it.

*edit* Forgot to include that I do like the screen, although I can't compare it to the stock one since I have never ridden with it on. I had a sport bike before this so this screen is more than plenty for me. I have no plans of changing it in the future.
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #1632
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Here's one, next to a cbr 600rr:

with rider:

and closeup:

oem top case mount:
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #1633
rich tintera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgar1 View Post

I have put only 2K on it through the winter, but we are really starting to get to know each other. Amazing what you can learn about a bike while riding it in the rain for the first 6 months of ownership
Beautiful bike! Mine's similar. Rim stripes are a nice way to add a little color to a monochromatic bike and they're reflective:

Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #1634
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,220
Damn new 2010 VFR's dipping below $10,000. May make me go take a look at one.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #1635
sneakyB
Blazin Boss Hog

Oddometer: 144
I'm considering buying a VFR. The 5th and 6th gen have long been my "dream bikes", but I fear that the reality isn't as expected.

I currently still ride my first bike, a 2003 Suzuki Savage (S40) - a 650cc, single-cylinder, air cooled cruiser. I need to get into something bigger ASAP.

Now I wasn't planning on getting a VFR until I saw my dealer put a brand new 2008 for $7,999. He says he has 2 more in crates. My heart skipped a few thousand beats so I naturally took it for a test ride.

I also tested a Fz6r - a bike I have been considering -today. Both great rides. The VFR is by far and away the nicer (premium) machine, however I much preferred riding the more plebeian Yamaha. The VFR scared the crap out of me a few times because of it's responsiveness and power delivery. Additionally, the riding position on the VFR was far more forward-leaning than I imagined (the Fz6r was fairly standard).

My heart says VFR, but my body says Fz6r. However, I know that I would only keep the Fz for a few years at most... and I'm not convinced of its build quality. if I were to get the VFR, I feel that I would essentially return to n00b status in the saddle - it was that much of a difference from my Savage.
I'd also need a set of bar risers ASAP... IDK how people ride them for tens of thousands of miles with so much weight on their wrists.

Now that I've had even more time to think on it, I'm coming up with reason after reason to rationalize NOT buying the VFR. First, it's $2,000 more than the Fz6r. Second, the VFR costs $250/year more to insure, and far more $$$ to maintain. Third, I think it is too fast.

I also have desire to do adventure rides on B and C class roads. That's out of the question with either the VFR of fz6r. So on one hand I'm considering a VFR/Fz6r, and on the other hand I'd like a V-Strom.

Put me out of my misery.
sneakyB is offline   Reply With Quote