ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #1666
devo2002
-Devo
 
devo2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,607
What's the easiest way to access the throttle cables to see if they are sticking on something? it is worse on full lock to the right and sticks less so on left full lock, It also revs while turning the bars so I'm assuming the cables are caught on something. What's the least amount of panels/bolts to loosen/remove to get access?
__________________
2014 DL650 Vstrom
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #1667
smack doogle
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Saint Leonard, MD
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedsyDragon View Post
Probably going to buy a '99 VFR this week. It has 39k miles on it, recently had valve check without need for any adjustments, and has been kept in near perfect condition. He is asking $3250 for it. Sound like a good deal? I am beyond excited about the bike, I hope it doesn't get sold while I wait to get the money from a friend who is buying my SVS.
I've been eyeballing that VFR for a few months now. It looks clean and well taken care of. I was waiting until he dropped his price to $3000 and offer $2800 but I'm cheap. If you are patient you can find one as nice for cheaper. He doesn't have many mods on it other than hand warmers, painted rims and exhaust. Either way though, it's a VFR and you'll love it.

Side note, if you want to ride let me know. I don't have a new VFR but if you don't mind riding with a ole '85 VF1000R or '86 VFR750 let me know. I'll dust one of my ole girls off.
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #1668
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon
 
DeedsyDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack doogle View Post
I've been eyeballing that VFR for a few months now. It looks clean and well taken care of. I was waiting until he dropped his price to $3000 and offer $2800 but I'm cheap. If you are patient you can find one as nice for cheaper. He doesn't have many mods on it other than hand warmers, painted rims and exhaust. Either way though, it's a VFR and you'll love it.

Side note, if you want to ride let me know. I don't have a new VFR but if you don't mind riding with a ole '85 VF1000R or '86 VFR750 let me know. I'll dust one of my ole girls off.
It's definitely worth the $3200 for me. I've been wanting one for quite a while, and to see one in such great condition is too enticing to let pass. It will be a daily driver for me, so I was thinking that a newer model would be a bit easier to manage. Also, a future ride with another viffer sounds awesome!
DeedsyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #1669
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon
 
DeedsyDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Oddometer: 101
What would be the best way to insure a 99 VFR800? I admittedly know very little about insurance, I just tell my agent to give me a plan that is $50 a month. Obviously I want to know what I am getting, and spend a reasonable amount of money on it.
DeedsyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #1670
MapMaster
Human Compass
 
MapMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
What's the easiest way to access the throttle cables to see if they are sticking on something? it is worse on full lock to the right and sticks less so on left full lock, It also revs while turning the bars so I'm assuming the cables are caught on something. What's the least amount of panels/bolts to loosen/remove to get access?
I would doubt that the cables are caught on anything, they just aren't adjusted or routed properly (not enough slack at full lock). There is a minimal amount of cable adjustment available at the throttle, if you have to get to the adjusters where the cables attach to the carbs, or if you have to reroute the cables, you have to pull the gas tank, which requires removing the seat and the rear fairing first.

Definitely get a factory service manual for the instructions on how to do this and the illustrations to show the proper routing.
You can probably find pdf files of the manual on-line, but I find the physical printout to be extremely useful.
__________________
Go Stillers! Go Pens! Go away Bucs.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #1671
jefmad
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedsyDragon View Post
What would be the best way to insure a 99 VFR800? I admittedly know very little about insurance, I just tell my agent to give me a plan that is $50 a month. Obviously I want to know what I am getting, and spend a reasonable amount of money on it.
On a bike that is worth $3000 just get liability. $75 per year for me.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #1672
Red J
Adventureless.
 
Red J's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Oddometer: 753
__________________
01 VFR | 08 FJR
Red J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #1673
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon
 
DeedsyDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmad View Post
On a bike that is worth $3000 just get liability. $75 per year for me.
Really? That seems very bare-bones. If I total my bike, I get nothing to purchase something new, correct?
DeedsyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #1674
MapMaster
Human Compass
 
MapMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedsyDragon View Post
Really? That seems very bare-bones. If I total my bike, I get nothing to purchase something new, correct?
Correct, but you're only going to get what the bike is worth based on the current market, which may or may not be what you paid for it (and if not, less) and after another year, the payout would certainly be less.
So you think, "Okay, but that's at least $2700 (or so) that can be used to buy another bike". But depending on your age, record or locale, you could be paying $300 to $3000/year for that coverage.
Knock the premiums you've paid off the potential payout and you're getting even less in real dollars, and that's only if you have an accident. Depending on the actual numbers, if you don't have an accident, you can save enough to buy another bike w/in about 5 years or less (remember the bike's value drops every year, but your premiums won't)

These are just generalized values I've pulled out of thin air, but they illustrate the principle. At a certain point, the potential benefits are not worth the cost of the insurance. What that point is, varies from case to case, but I wouldn't put collision or comp insurance on any vehicle worth less than $5000 unless required to do so by financing.
__________________
Go Stillers! Go Pens! Go away Bucs.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #1675
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon
 
DeedsyDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Correct, but you're only going to get what the bike is worth based on the current market, which may or may not be what you paid for it (and if not, less) and after another year, the payout would certainly be less.
So you think, "Okay, but that's at least $2700 (or so) that can be used to buy another bike". But depending on your age, record or locale, you could be paying $300 to $3000/year for that coverage.
Knock the premiums you've paid off the potential payout and you're getting even less in real dollars, and that's only if you have an accident. Depending on the actual numbers, if you don't have an accident, you can save enough to buy another bike w/in about 5 years or less (remember the bike's value drops every year, but your premiums won't)

These are just generalized values I've pulled out of thin air, but they illustrate the principle. At a certain point, the potential benefits are not worth the cost of the insurance. What that point is, varies from case to case, but I wouldn't put collision or comp insurance on any vehicle worth less than $5000 unless required to do so by financing.
Fair enough, I will end up doing that. Thanks for clarifying.
DeedsyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #1676
devo2002
-Devo
 
devo2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,607
Yes without collision you get nothing if totaled.
__________________
2014 DL650 Vstrom
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #1677
Joe?
...
 
Joe?'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Boston
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedsyDragon View Post
What would be the best way to insure a 99 VFR800? I admittedly know very little about insurance, I just tell my agent to give me a plan that is $50 a month. Obviously I want to know what I am getting, and spend a reasonable amount of money on it.
You can play around with coverage and see how it affects the cost on the Progressive without committing to anything.
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #1678
MapMaster
Human Compass
 
MapMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedsyDragon View Post
Fair enough, I will end up doing that. Thanks for clarifying.
Holy Shit! Some ff actually agreed with me

While semi-knowledgeable on the subject and having an opinion, I'm not an insurance broker or any sort of qualified expert in these matters. Given your initial statement about not knowing much about insurance other than to tell you agent to keep it under 50/month, it would be prudent to get his take on the subject as well, and to see what the premiums would actually be in your case, just keep in mind that he makes money by selling you the coverage. If he's really looking out for your best interest, he may even recommend that you should only get liability in this case.
__________________
Go Stillers! Go Pens! Go away Bucs.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #1679
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon
 
DeedsyDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Holy Shit! Some ff actually agreed with me

While semi-knowledgeable on the subject and having an opinion, I'm not an insurance broker or any sort of qualified expert in these matters. Given your initial statement about not knowing much about insurance other than to tell you agent to keep it under 50/month, it would be prudent to get his take on the subject as well, and to see what the premiums would actually be in your case, just keep in mind that he makes money by selling you the coverage. If he's really looking out for your best interest, he may even recommend that you should only get liability in this case.
I will keep that in mind. The bike I had in mind is a 99 valued at around 2k, so that obviously wouldn't be worth paying hundreds of dollars a year on.
DeedsyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #1680
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,315
i have full tilt insurance on my VFR. $120/year...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014