Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #1741
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
I have the VFR1200F that everybody hates.
My buddies think about how bad it sucks when they have to wait on me to fill up every couple of hours.
Fixt that for ya.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #1742
smack doogle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
BTW in the latest AMCN (Australian Motorcycle News... not to be confused with that pommy trash paper MCN) is quoting a contact in Japan as saying not only are there massive revisions for the VFR1200 to address poor sales but a NEW VFR800 is under development for announcement if not sale to co-inside with the 30th anniversary of the VFR....
I could care less about the 1200 but if there is a VFR800 on the horizon (please let it have gear driven cams) I will give you a mouth kiss. If this is not true I will fly to australia and smack you. Then we will ride and have a few beers. Deal? Great.
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #1743
Mazaev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Bluhduh

So I've also been struggling with passenger accommodations on my 5th gen. Just put a Sargent seat on, and the pillion says it's definitely better, but still needs frequent breaks. I also just mounted my old Pelicans on the back which solved the luggage issue, but created a buffeting problem at anything above 68mph.

I love how the Pelicans fit on the VFR as unlike the V-Strom, the bike itself is much narrower and the bag on the exhaust side sits above the pipe instead of outside of it. This makes them much more usable around the city. Unfortunately, the exhaust from the pipe also melted one of the bottom fins of the 1550, so I'll have to put some sort of metal plate there before it melts a hole in the bottom.

The buffeting problem is quite severe though. My left shoulder starts to flutter severely approaching and going above 70mph. This effect is multiplied for the passenger and had us pulling over at every rest stop. I'd been thinking of getting the taller Givi windshield lately, but I'm not sure that it will help or make the situation worse. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, does anyone know of any available passenger foot peg lowering brackets that aren't $160+ like the MFW Varios? I've seen GREAT looking ones for the FZ6 and Ninjas for like 65 that lower the pegs by up to 3", but I doubt they're compatible.
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #1744
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Oddometer: 667
Well, after reading the whole thread, who wouldn't want one. There is a 06 with 18k miles for $4500, it's black and looks good and is near by. But I kind of have cold vtec feet and fear $700 dollar valve checks. I also like the 5th gen looks maybe more than the 6th.

What years are the gear driven cam bikes also fuel injected?
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #1745
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
well, after reading the whole thread, who wouldn't want one. There is a 06 with 18k miles for $4500, it's black and looks good and is near by. But i kind of have cold vtec feet and fear $700 dollar valve checks. I also like the 5th gen looks maybe more than the 6th.

What years are the gear driven cam bikes also fuel injected?
'98-'01
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #1746
stoops
let's ride

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post
So I've also been struggling with passenger accommodations on my 5th gen. Just put a Sargent seat on, and the pillion says it's definitely better, but still needs frequent breaks. I also just mounted my old Pelicans on the back which solved the luggage issue, but created a buffeting problem at anything above 68mph.

I love how the Pelicans fit on the VFR as unlike the V-Strom, the bike itself is much narrower and the bag on the exhaust side sits above the pipe instead of outside of it. This makes them much more usable around the city. Unfortunately, the exhaust from the pipe also melted one of the bottom fins of the 1550, so I'll have to put some sort of metal plate there before it melts a hole in the bottom.

The buffeting problem is quite severe though. My left shoulder starts to flutter severely approaching and going above 70mph. This effect is multiplied for the passenger and had us pulling over at every rest stop. I'd been thinking of getting the taller Givi windshield lately, but I'm not sure that it will help or make the situation worse. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, does anyone know of any available passenger foot peg lowering brackets that aren't $160+ like the MFW Varios? I've seen GREAT looking ones for the FZ6 and Ninjas for like 65 that lower the pegs by up to 3", but I doubt they're compatible.
What kind of racking do you use for the pelicans?
stoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #1747
Mazaev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoops View Post
What kind of racking do you use for the pelicans?
Givi pl257 tubular sideracks with their topcase rack. The Pelicans have the Happy Trails pucks attached and are relatively quick-release. I originally planned to use the sw-motech racks but they're twice the price and are not compatible with any currently available topcase racks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #1748
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
'98-'01
Thanks for your reply, because I inquired about a 98 with 13.5k miles. The guy has changed the bars with a triple clamp and said that by rerouting the clutch, throttle and choke cable, he still gets full movement of the bars without contact.

Does the 98 have a manual choke with FI?

Any opinions about changing the bars? I guess everything is a trade off, but generally I like things that are stock. But it is somewhat interesting that if you bring the bars up 1" and back 2", it provides the exact riding position of the my cbr250r, hehehe.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #1749
stoops
let's ride

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, because I inquired about a 98 with 13.5k miles. The guy has changed the bars with a triple clamp and said that by rerouting the clutch, throttle and choke cable, he still gets full movement of the bars without contact.

Does the 98 have a manual choke with FI?

Any opinions about changing the bars? I guess everything is a trade off, but generally I like things that are stock. But it is somewhat interesting that if you bring the bars up 1" and back 2", it provides the exact riding position of the my cbr250r, hehehe.
98 has a "fast idle" lever yes, works like a choke
Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #1750
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack doogle View Post
I could care less about the 1200 but if there is a VFR800 on the horizon (please let it have gear driven cams) I will give you a mouth kiss. If this is not true I will fly to australia and smack you. Then we will ride and have a few beers. Deal? Great.
Does this post frighten anyone else?

dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #1751
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack doogle

No, not really. Seems like I win if the rumour is true, or win if it is not...& exuberance in young folk should be encouraged. Anyhow how could I complain after I "out-ed" myself for liking to ride scooters only couple of posts further up.. Anyhow nothing to see as of yet so back to the safety of discussing the pros & cons of fitting pelican cases to your motorcycle

DFH screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 11:03 PM Reason: the spelling synapse failed to fire...
DFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #1752
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

this guy makes the '98 go pretty good...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #1753
south
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Nice vid--the sound of the bike alone really does it. Rider could use a *little* work on his riding, though. Plenty more lean angle available for a closed course run, misses a fair number of apexes, turns in too early, (and therefore) runs wide off, (contributing to him being) late/lazy/off-line in transition on left-rights/right-lefts. And it was rather painful to watch him fail to hold the bike on line and jump the cushion in the banked, concrete-strip, carousel turn. No shame in having the Porsche come by, but I'dve liked to have seen the BMW work a little harder for the overtake and not disappear up the road so quickly.
south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #1754
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
Nice vid--the sound of the bike alone really does it. Rider could use a *little* work on his riding, though. Plenty more lean angle available for a closed course run, misses a fair number of apexes, turns in too early, (and therefore) runs wide off, (contributing to him being) late/lazy/off-line in transition on left-rights/right-lefts. And it was rather painful to watch him fail to hold the bike on line and jump the cushion in the banked, concrete-strip, carousel turn. No shame in having the Porsche come by, but I'dve liked to have seen the BMW work a little harder for the overtake and not disappear up the road so quickly.

Christ. Maybe he just likes to have fun at his own pace. I'd rather see a guy riding in his limits than some squid blasting all over the road.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #1755
Joe?

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack doogle View Post

And the same goes for Takanobu Ito for making a liar out of me ("I'd never buy a new motorcycle," "Never replace my VFR," etc.)

Quote:
Well, after reading the whole thread, who wouldn't want one. There is a 06 with 18k miles for $4500, it's black and looks good and is near by. But I kind of have cold vtec feet and fear $700 dollar valve checks. I also like the 5th gen looks maybe more than the 6th.
That is a VERY good price, assuming it's in decent shape. I was in the same boat when I happened to go look at my '03 and owned it the next day. I am a fan of the VTEC; it makes for a reasonable commuting bike and and a beast when riding at higher RPMs. Once you get used to the 7k transition it's rather pleasant. I wouldn't want all 4 cylinders firing 100% of the time anyway, that engine is hot enough with 2. If you are set on a 5th gen than keep looking, but I can bet you wouldn't regret that '06 once you owned it

As for valve adjustments, it is what it is. I'm going to roll 30k one of these days and then I'll start thinking about checking them. Yes, it will suck, but it's only one days work and I'm sure I'll find plenty of other things to do while she's apart to make it worth my while (PAIR valve).
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote