Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #211
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreinke
Could I ask a favor. I'm ready to buy a 5th generation VFR that's been fully serviced and had the RR modification (my bandit and I parted ways so to speak). Could you guys P.M. or E-mail me what you like about the bike so I'm sure I'm making the right decision? Thanks
Only you can decide if you're making the right decision.

If the bike is in good condition and well maintained, it's an excellent motorcycle. Can you get the service records?

Depends on what you're really looking for. If you want an all round great bike, suitable for a variety of missions, then it's a good choice. If you're easily intimidated by others with the latest supersport CBRZXYZFGXSR, then maybe you won't be satisfied. Then again, maybe you're not the rider you thought you were.

My 5th gen has over 80k miles, still runs very strong. My previous bike, a 4th gen, had almost 75k miles when I sold it. I use the bike for railing twisties, sport-touring, extended multi-state rides, running errands, and everything in between.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you get, enjoy it.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #212
kreinke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero
Only you can decide if you're making the right decision.

If the bike is in good condition and well maintained, it's an excellent motorcycle. Can you get the service records?

Depends on what you're really looking for. If you want an all round great bike, suitable for a variety of missions, then it's a good choice. If you're easily intimidated by others with the latest supersport CBRZXYZFGXSR, then maybe you won't be satisfied. Then again, maybe you're not the rider you thought you were.

My 5th gen has over 80k miles, still runs very strong. My previous bike, a 4th gen, had almost 75k miles when I sold it. I use the bike for railing twisties, sport-touring, extended multi-state rides, running errands, and everything in between.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you get, enjoy it.
Thanks. You just confirmed my suspicions. No I'm not intimidated by others. (I loved my Bandit 1250 and railed the hell out of it...right to when I lowsided last Wed.) Yep she's been dealer serviced where she was traded in. Yes I need an all-rounder for rural commuting..

And that sound.

The whirring of the gears and that throaty blub blub of the exhaust....kind of reminds me of a small block with a blower or geared timing.

I have love VFR's ever since I heard my first one. Never wanted a VTEC one because of the lack of whine. I know it's stupid but that is an awesome sound.
kreinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #213
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,968
Quote:
Thanks. You just confirmed my suspicions. No I'm not intimidated by others. (I loved my Bandit 1250 and railed the hell out of it...right to when I lowsided last Wed.) Yep she's been dealer serviced where she was traded in. Yes I need an all-rounder for rural commuting..

And that sound.

The whirring of the gears and that throaty blub blub of the exhaust....kind of reminds me of a small block with a blower or geared timing.

I have love VFR's ever since I heard my first one. Never wanted a VTEC one because of the lack of whine. I know it's stupid but that is an awesome sound.
Nope, not stupid at all...I love mine
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #214
Earthshake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Now, if you really want that blower sound on a 5th gen VFR, check out

aaperf dot com
Earthshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #215
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshake

aaperf dot com
OK. Now I want a 2000 model.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #216
imarcr2
n00b

Oddometer: 9
ahhh spring

I purchased my low mileage 98 viffer last october and finally got to ride it yesterday. 100 miles of love! My past street bikes were supersport bikes and I kept most rides under an hour. My 39 year old body just doesn't like the torture rack of a modern sport bike. The VFR has a corbin seat and heli-bars on it.

The bike is very comfy, reasonably quick, and it sounds fantastic on the overrun!

It's a keeper for sure

Bill
Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #217
Kritter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
One of the things I used to really enjoy doing with the VFR was to head downtown really early on a Sunday morning. You get to stop lots of times at the intersections and wick it up on every green. The sound from the Micron echoing off the buildings and the gear whine coming up from the engine under hard acceleration was one of the finest aural pleasures to be had.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #218
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,088
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixWatt

Been waiting till I had a nice pic to post: I bought this 1984 VF500F last October and just put my 2000th mile on it today. Fun Stuff!

LOOKING GOOD

I love my '86 miniceptor. Ride it almost everyday.

Not as pretty as yours. Nice job.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #219
Perp
Museum Piece

Oddometer: 1,303
04VFR OKC
Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #220
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,608
Sorry, no got a VFR. But I do have a VF. VF700F. Its the 1984 700cc model, best known as the tariff buster. Still running strong and still looks pretty good, IMHO.

When they came out with the retro paint scheme on the VFR, it was sure tempting, but there ain't nothing wrong with the old original and its been paid for for many many years. Sounds great with those F1 pipes on it. That, and after looking a more modern new sport bikes/sport touring bikes, I came to the conclusion that the riding position on this old beast suits my old back much better.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #221
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red J

Fantastic, Steve. They are very nice bikes, aren't they?

Mine's gonna be out your way in June.

Dang. Sweet pic. Look me up if you have time while toolin around CO. Could join on the INTERCEPTOR . Came across this short VFR pair vid...

sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #222
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red J

Fantastic, Steve. They are very nice bikes, aren't they?

Mine's gonna be out your way in June.

Nice bike.

are those stainless headers w/ a Erion Racing slip-on?

Details please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #223
alculbreth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Planning to join the club and buy a 5th gen (that's 98-01, right?). I found a '98 with just over 30k miles on it. Looks great and runs great. I would prefer less miles but I've heard of 5th gens with over 60k miles still running strong. Anything in particular that I should look at before I buy it?
alculbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #224
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by alculbreth
Planning to join the club and buy a 5th gen (that's 98-01, right?). I found a '98 with just over 30k miles on it. Looks great and runs great. I would prefer less miles but I've heard of 5th gens with over 60k miles still running strong. Anything in particular that I should look at before I buy it?

Yes, that's a 5th gen. Dont worry about the 30k, it will likely go 5x that without blinking an eye.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #225
alculbreth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshake

aaperf dot com
Anybody have one of these super charger kits? I know, I know - I should focus on getting a vfr first but the claims of 50-60% power boost seem quite remarkable...
alculbreth is offline   Reply With Quote