Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #31
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
Great looking bikes fellows. At least now I know that I am not the only one with a VFR on this forum. The more the better!!
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #32
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Hey VFR Guy's,

Need some advice, I got back into MC's about three years ago. Started doing the 'dirt' thing with my son when he was 13. He's 16 now and has his Virginia LP, Car and MC. My plated bikes are a BMW K75 and DRZ400S. Jamie and I have been going out doing rural road rides since last spring. My son has a great feel for riding, so I'm starting to think about a street bike for him. He's had a go on the K75 and handle's it very nicely.

The K75 is a 1994, rides and runs like new.

I've read that the VFR 750's from the mid 90's have gear driven cam's and are easier to maintain.

I did alot of research on the K75 and learned that the K75 motor with proper maintenence is a 200K engine.

What kind of miles is a well maintaned VFR 750 capable of?

Most important! Is it too much bike for a teenager with very strict supervision.

My plan would be to do some 1 or 2 day trips together and then ease into some regional touring.

Thanks,
RO2
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #33
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideOn2
Hey VFR Guy's,

Need some advice, I got back into MC's about three years ago. Started doing the 'dirt' thing with my son when he was 13. He's 16 now and has his Virginia LP, Car and MC. My plated bikes are a BMW K75 and DRZ400S. Jamie and I have been going out doing rural road rides since last spring. My son has a great feel for riding, so I'm starting to think about a street bike for him. He's had a go on the K75 and handle's it very nicely.

The K75 is a 1994, rides and runs like new.

I've read that the VFR 750's from the mid 90's have gear driven cam's and are easier to maintain.

I did alot of research on the K75 and learned that the K75 motor with proper maintenence is a 200K engine.

What kind of miles is a well maintaned VFR 750 capable of?

Most important! Is it too much bike for a teenager with very strict supervision.

My plan would be to do some 1 or 2 day trips together and then ease into some regional touring.

Thanks,
RO2
K75 should serve your purpose nicely, VFR750 or 98-01 VFR800 have gear driven cams, they are both reliable and capable, but it might be a bit much for a teenager to insure. Are you trying to decide a bike for your teenager between the K75 or VFR750?
There are other less expensive choices that are just as capable for your purpose with even less intensive maintenance schedule: SV650, Nighthawks, etc..
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #34
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Cat, essentially I view all our bikes as pool bikes. They are my bikes and are insured for my use. Depending on whether it's a dirt day or two lane we decide who uses what and then we switch back and forth.

A 50k mile K75 is just broken in... Where does a VFR fit in terms of say buying one with 20K-30K on it. I realise it depends on the riding style and maintence profile of the previous owner. I've read about valve adjustment at 16K intervals, what about new pistons, rings etc.

Just trying to get a feel for what to look for in a VFR. which I happen to think is one beautuful bike.

RO2

I could see that I would spend alot of time riding the VFR and letting my son ride the K. That would really give his chian a good jerk. I'd let him ride it more as he gains seat time and I see that his brain actually works.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #35
staves
Weaponized

Oddometer: 217
VFR mileage

Quote:
Cat, essentially I view all our bikes as pool bikes. They are my bikes and are insured for my use. Depending on whether it's a dirt day or two lane we decide who uses what and then we switch back and forth.

A 50k mile K75 is just broken in... Where does a VFR fit in terms of say buying one with 20K-30K on it. I realise it depends on the riding style and maintence profile of the previous owner. I've read about valve adjustment at 16K intervals, what about new pistons, rings etc.

Just trying to get a feel for what to look for in a VFR. which I happen to think is one beautuful bike.

RO2

I could see that I would spend alot of time riding the VFR and letting my son ride the K. That would really give his chian a good jerk. I'd let him ride it more as he gains seat time and I see that his brain actually works.
I'm sure others will chime in with first-hand experience, but I wouldn't worry about buying a VFR with 25K-35K miles on it. With proper maintenance, these Hondas will go and go and go. . .

www.vfrdiscussion.com is also a great resource. Good luck with your decision.

ST

1977 BMW R100/7
staves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #36
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC
I have one, I know of at least one more person on ADV has one, I want to see if we have enough on here to constitute a thread about VFR's. Heres mine although not the most recent or the best pic of it.
Chad,
Looks great. I hope it is such that I can see it in Greensboro. As nice as the Jeep is.. ... the bike is outstanding!
S
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #37
GS THONG
Banned

Oddometer: 2,405
I bought a 2000 vfr w 18k on it after a year of reading everything and concluded it is at least a 100k motor even with a hard life. Couriers in the UK routinely get over 200 thou and one did about 240, put another used motor in and was going strong at 440,000 an then he wadded it up in an accident. I plan to do a minimun of 120,000 0n mine and it is one of the few bikes with good enough build quality to be worth keeping that long.
Hell, I still have the original battery. Other than tires, oil and gas the only maint needed (vale adjust done at 16k) was 37 bucks for some tapered roller bearing stearng head bearings (easy job) as that is the only thing that Honda should have done in the first place. Sublime handling comfort and easy on insurance. Read older UK mags, they reconize older bikes in tests and report how thier doing with miles on them and indepth owner imput. US mags are not for people who actually ride that much IMHO.

h
GS THONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #38
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
Picture taken at the Road America Superbike races a few years back. I no longer own the '94, but still have the '86.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #39
AWolff
AWolff

Oddometer: 432
2003 Vtec

I've got an '03 that is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. It's so refined, so polished, and so all around good that I honestly can't be tempted to anything else for now. As I wrote in another thread, the bike is never, ever the limit.

To paraphrase myself: It's capable of going further than my bladder can hold out, faster than my license can stand, leaning deeper than my nerve will allow, and amazingly it's still good fun to go out to breakfast with the wife on the back on a sunny Saturday.

Best bike I've ever had.

-A
AWolff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #40
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Question for the VFR cultists (because you people really are a cult. admit it )...

If you were in the market for a used VFR (and assuming they're the same price), would you go for a 5th generation (99-2000) VFR with low mileage or a slightly newer (say 2003-2004) 6th gen VFR with higher mileage?
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #41
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
Question for the VFR cultists (because you people really are a cult. admit it )...

If you were in the market for a used VFR (and assuming they're the same price), would you go for a 5th generation (99-2000) VFR with low mileage or a slightly newer (say 2003-2004) 6th gen VFR with higher mileage?
Personally, I would go for a 98-99. The 00-01 are the same as the 98-99 but have catalysts in the exhaust and are heavier. the 02-current are lovely (especially the '07 RWB) but I hear adjusting the valves is a PITA because of the V-Tec

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #42
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

With a b it of Googling I've found a 1995 VFR750. With 30K on it."Well maintanined by owner which worked for a Honda Dealer." Asking price 3K.

I'm not sure if I'd want to put my teenage son on it or not. You should see him on our YZ250f he's really sweet to watch ride.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #43
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,981
Quote:
With a b it of Googling I've found a 19........
try
http://www.oodle.com/vehicle/motorcy...el_vfr/?inbs=1
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #44
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Yup, my scoot.

HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #45
sterfry
Jackleg

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
Personally, I would go for a 98-99. The 00-01 are the same as the 98-99 but have catalysts in the exhaust and are heavier. the 02-current are lovely (especially the '07 RWB) but I hear adjusting the valves is a PITA because of the V-Tec
The valve adjustment is a pain because of the amount of time it takes. If the Vtec actuated valves are in spec, you have to pull the cams 2 times - once to insert the Vtec locking pins in the lifters to verify clearance and once to pull them out. If the valves are out of spec, you add a third cam pull to insert the correct size lifter with the locking pin installed to verify the clearance. At 16k miles, all of my normal valves were in spec but most of my Vtec valves needed adjustment.

"What's now considered OCD used to be considered taking pride in your work." - Tony Adkins
sterfry is offline   Reply With Quote