Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #766
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I definitely see some LSL Superbike handlebars on my VFR in the future. I guess it's just because I'm not used to it, but this bike seems to have a more aggressive riding position than my YZF600 I owned over a year ago.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #767
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Thumb New to me VFR

I just bought an 01 VFR that was in beautiful condition for $2800. Granted it almost has 60k miles on it but I'm the second owner, and it's bone stock, and was serviced by the same dealer it's whole life. Coming from riding a DR650 to a VFR is a big and glorious change (still have the DR though)!

I did notice one patern though how come these are mile stone bikes but they're constantly changing hands, seems like the original owners rarely hold on to them?

40cu.in.of.furey screwed with this post 05-20-2010 at 12:05 AM
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #768
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey

I did notice one patern though how come these are mile stone bikes but they're constantly changing hands, seems like the original owners rarely hold on to them?
That's a good question. I bought my 4th gen last fall with only 12K on it. I've put over 3k on it since then which is actually a lot of riding for me considering I also ride the wee Ninja.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #769
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch
Thanks for the response! Good info.... Any other suggestions on how it stacks up against the SV in other ways? Which do you prefer?
My mantra is "weight baaaad!" The SV was 100 pounds lighter, I enjoyed it's nimbleness. Both were comfortable to me. The VFR is smoother and a better long distance mount, but that didn't prevent me from taking the SV on an 8,000 mile cross country trip and enjoying almost every mile of it (Kansas wasn't any fun, but it's not much better on the VFR )

The snatchiness of the fuel injection on the SV was a slight negative. The lack of a center stand on it was a major PITA.

I got a KLR last year to do more rough road riding and didn't want 3 bikes in the stable. I decided somewhere around the 70k point (before I got the SV) that the VFR was a permanent family member, so deciding which one to keep it wasn't even an issue.

cheers,
Greg

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #770
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
I like my 6th gen, but weight is an issue. It's pig heavy and seems to handle like a turd :(

It seems to be a decent mount comfort wise - mine came with some bar risers and ZG screen if it makes a difference. Tomorrow will be my first ride over 200 miles so we'll see.
vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #771
RonMexico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Got a new SLR and had to see how it worked, my '98 5th with .90 sonic springs and a CBR929 rear shock, handles like a dream.

RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #772
paul.miner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Picked my '95 VFR up near the end of 2009. I rode through the winter as long as the roads weren't iced, but it wasn't until the roads warmed up this spring that I could really have fun with her and gained an appreciation of the bike. I'm planning a roughly 12,000 mile trip in July, so I've begun prepping the bike.
paul.miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #773
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
I had a VFR for a few years. I loved it, and only sold it to get back to adventure riding:

Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #774
Wing Nut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I have an '03 ABS model. It's a good bike, I've had it for a couple years, but I think it is time to sell it and buy something else. I can't seem to keep bikes for more than a couple years before I get bored of them. Anyone looking to buy it?

Wing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #775
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer
I like my 6th gen, but weight is an issue. It's pig heavy and seems to handle like a turd :(

It seems to be a decent mount comfort wise - mine came with some bar risers and ZG screen if it makes a difference. Tomorrow will be my first ride over 200 miles so we'll see.
I'm not real familiar with the 6G machines, but I remember my 4g VFR responding immediately, and positively, to just a simple change in fork oil (10.5w, IIRC).

Obviously, putting a new shock (Wilbers) and re-working the front (CBR60f3 cartridges, VFR800 springs) made much bigger changes, but don't discount the value of fresh fluids in your forks (and brakes while you're doing fluid work, IMO).
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #776
vwboomer
Buffoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR
I'm not real familiar with the 6G machines, but I remember my 4g VFR responding immediately, and positively, to just a simple change in fork oil (10.5w, IIRC).

Obviously, putting a new shock (Wilbers) and re-working the front (CBR60f3 cartridges, VFR800 springs) made much bigger changes, but don't discount the value of fresh fluids in your forks (and brakes while you're doing fluid work, IMO).
I'm going to explore a couple things such as raising the forks a bit and the oil isn't a bad idea. also replacing the 1/2 worn PP with a PP2CT. I'm not looking to race the bike, but getting the handling within a mile of my S4R might be nice ;)
Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #777
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer
. also replacing the 1/2 worn PP with a PP2CT. I'm not looking to race the bike, but getting the handling within a mile of my S4R might be nice ;)
Trust me that this is the majority of your issue. When I first got my VFR I couldn't believe how badly it was handling. Tremendous effort on the bars to lean it, then I had to maintain that effort to keep it leaned and it fought me the whole time, wobbling, weaving and just generally feeling like a dumptruck on blown shocks with no springs.

It had worn out PPs on it. They weren't even completely worn or completely flat spotted but something about the PP when it gets past a certain point of being worn it just has the wrong profile on it. I dunno. I replaced first the rear with a PR2 and I could not believe how much better that bike felt immediately. Then I replaced the front with another PR2. The bike handles so sweet now it feels like a completely different ride. For whatever reason they are very sensitive to tire choice and tire pressure. Another part of my problem was the old worn out rear PP was a 190 instead of the stock 180 width it should have been -- make sure you are putting the right size tire on. Also, the preload was set completely wrong for my weight.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #778
vwboomer
Buffoon

I put a PR2 on the rear almost immediately after purchase as I ran over a nail in 2 spots.
When my PP2CT's got worn on my Duc, I put a PR2 on the rear an a PP2CT on the front. Great combination.
Ordering a new front next week.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #779
jordan p
projects > time alloted

Oddometer: 108
anyone actually do an ADV conversion? I got a 96 w/ absolutely no fairings on it, and a cut down two bro's pipe for 600 bucks... I'm thinking about drilling bar mounts, raising the triples up as high as they can go, investigating a shock with more travel etc... slapping a little windscreen on her and some luggage and going to get myself stuck in the middle of nowhere.Anyone done similar?
jordan p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #780
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 855
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote