Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #841
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Well, my XR is out of action and until I can get that fixed, or get something else, the VFR is up for it.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #842
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
After a couple of years of wanting a vfr, I picked up a 2002 yesterday.

Pretty happy with it so far, but I've only ridden it 110 miles up the freeway. (the PO had only ridden it 310 miles in the 2 years he owned it!)

Anyways - it needs new shoes. Pretty badly.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the dunlop roadsmarts? They are on sale and I'm on a budget.

Thanks.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #843
estrada42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan

Pretty happy with it so far, but I've only ridden it 110 miles up the freeway. (the PO had only ridden it 310 miles in the 2 years he owned it!)

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the dunlop roadsmarts? They are on sale and I'm on a budget.

Thanks.
I have them on my 98. Overall there not bad, but my front tire has developed an odd problem. The center tread compound is raised about a 1/4 of an inch. It doesn't affect the handling, but it's very odd. I'm going to switch to Michilens and see how those are.
estrada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #844
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrada42
I have them on my 98. Overall there not bad, but my front tire has developed an odd problem. The center tread compound is raised about a 1/4 of an inch. It doesn't affect the handling, but it's very odd. I'm going to switch to Michilens and see how those are.
Are they a dual-compound tire?

How many miles did you get out of them?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #845
estrada42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Are they a dual-compound tire?

How many miles did you get out of them?
There supposed to have a harder center compund than the outer edges. I have about 8k on the front, I had to repalce the back one about 1500 miles ago due to a nail puncture. The front still has a lot of life in it. I'll see if I can get a picture of the wear
estrada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #846
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 731
Quote:

Thanks.
Roadsmarts are fine (friends of mine run them on their VFRs), but I have never found them among the more inexpensive choices. What constitutes a sale price in your neck of the woods and are we talking dealer or delivery?

An inexpensive tire that worked very well on my '96 VFR is the Shinko Raven (009). Good grip for the road, great life out of the front (12k on my last on), so-so mileage from the rears (5-5.5k, which to me is low for sport touring rubber, I'm trying a BT023 on the rear now).

Chaparral carries the Shinkos for about $150 a set.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #847
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrada42
There supposed to have a harder center compund than the outer edges. I have about 8k on the front, I had to repalce the back one about 1500 miles ago due to a nail puncture. The front still has a lot of life in it. I'll see if I can get a picture of the wear
Roadsmarts are dual compound on the rear only. Front tyre is single compound. Odd wear reported by Estrada42 is caused by a combination of too many straight line miles & the fact that a front tyre is under the most stress under brakes. When the stoppers are applied, the bikes weight is transferred forward onto the front tyre and this flattens the contact patch. The point of greatest stress & wear is either side of the centre line of the tyre, half way between the centre line & the outside of the tyre. The normal wear pattern for a bikes tyres is for the rear to square off & the front to go pointy. If you replace both tyres when the rear is worn out then the trend for the front to wear pointy is not an issue.... hang on to the front for too long ( 8 K is waaay too long) however
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #848
toolfan
Broken Hearted

I'm cheap. I run tires until the bike handles like crap.

Lucky me - I found a cheaper set of tires.

A set of take-offs from when I used to race. I gave them away earlier this year, but they never got mounted.

Free is a very good price.

Next dillema: Luggage.

Factory side cases or Givi?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #849
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,398
I put a Pilot Road 2 on the back and a Pilot Power 2 on the front of mine..

They stick a lot better than the 5 year old Dunlop 202's that were on it when I bought it, even though they only had 500 miles on them..
I think they quit making the 202's 6 years ago..
Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #850
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,916
Just a data point

Almost 5K miles on my rear PR2 on my VFR750 and it looks about halfway worn. Still has a nice round profile. My riding is an even mix of twisties and straight/slab/city. I fully expect to reach at least 7K miles on it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #851
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper
I put a Pilot Road 2 on the back and a Pilot Power 2 on the front of mine.. ..
How's the turn in? quicker? I have this combo on my S4R and replaced the rear on the VFR with the PR2. The front is due when money is avail, and that's my top choice.
vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #852
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer
How's the turn in? quicker? I have this combo on my S4R and replaced the rear on the VFR with the PR2. The front is due when money is avail, and that's my top choice.
It's amazingly neutral. Both in corners and straight line.. Doesn't fall into corners, and doesn't try to stand up..
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #853
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
I tried hat on my VFR, and hated it. I was not impressed with the PRs. I could feel it wiggling around too much, and it had a tendency to spin when grabbing any throttle leaned over. Running Powers, and really like hem, little slippery in teh winter, when cold, but great tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper
I put a Pilot Road 2 on the back and a Pilot Power 2 on the front of mine..

They stick a lot better than the 5 year old Dunlop 202's that were on it when I bought it, even though they only had 500 miles on them..
I think they quit making the 202's 6 years ago..

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #854
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr
I tried hat on my VFR, and hated it. I was not impressed with the PRs. I could feel it wiggling around too much, and it had a tendency to spin when grabbing any throttle leaned over. Running Powers, and really like hem, little slippery in teh winter, when cold, but great tires.
I noticed a little slipping when leaned over but nothing to make me give up the mileage to put PP2's on. 3500 decent miles on a set of tires doesn't cut it (granted my Monster is more power, but less weight).
And you/re talking the dual compound PIlot Roads, right?
I used to be a no compromise, damn the wear type. But putting shoes on 3 bikes every year (and maybe a truck or trailer or two) really takes the piss out of ya after awhile
vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #855
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
I believe they were teh first of teh OPRs with the dual compound, which I understand they have changed already. 3500 miles is good, I usually only get about 2000, if I'm lucky. Fortunately I don't ride it as often as I used to. I get about 7000 out of a set of tires on the VStrom. Hate the Tourances, for the same reasons, really liked the Anakees. Know the feeling about tires, I am getting ready to put them on my carr and truck, 925.00 for the car, and 1100.00 for the truck.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR

ggrjr screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 04:15 PM
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote