Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #1171
drdfblackm
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 757
I have had a couple, but I miss them all so much. Last one I had...I made a sound clip of it and I still listen to it. Sounded so good.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #1172
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealcassady View Post
[snip] I don't think I'd have any problem touring on this bike if I could do something about the arse interface. Monkey butt happens around 250-300 miles in hot weather. Has anyone found any creative solutions? [/snip]

I use a Sargent seat and beaded seat cushion I picked up at wallyworld for eight bucks. If you are careful, you can clip some of the lines, singling out the section that you need, then stitch it back together and VOILA! Take some paracord and loop around the bolts that hold the cover on so you don't loose it. Got me through my SS1000/1800mi trip to Key West and back sans monkey butt! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702187

Give it a shot. If it don't work for you, you're only out eight bucks.

PS, I stand up on the pegs often, even at interstate speeds, for as long as my feet can stand it. That and ride sidesaddle, hanging one leg out one side and your butt off the other side.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #1173
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
Picked this baby up last March with 10K on the clock. It just makes me smile every time I ride it.

How do you use the smuggler with that rear box on it?

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #1174
nealcassady
Novice

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4lho View Post
I use a Sargent seat and beaded seat cushion I picked up at wallyworld for eight bucks. If you are careful, you can clip some of the lines, singling out the section that you need, then stitch it back together and VOILA! Take some paracord and loop around the bolts that hold the cover on so you don't loose it. Got me through my SS1000/1800mi trip to Key West and back sans monkey butt! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702187

Give it a shot. If it don't work for you, you're only out eight bucks.

PS, I stand up on the pegs often, even at interstate speeds, for as long as my feet can stand it. That and ride sidesaddle, hanging one leg out one side and your butt off the other side.
I have one of those beaded covers that I made that way years ago for another bike. I guess I'll pull it out and give it a try. Some people rave about the AirHawk pads and I've been hoping to get a chance to try one of those out for a day. I do the stand up trick too- not usually for that long at a time. I wear a stich and if I can catch some wind and make that thing poof up so the air can flow through a few minutes it's a big help. In the long run it's my two arse bones against that hard, flat stock seat that hurts though, so thinking I may be an AirHawk kind of guy.

A saddle sore to Key West would be a good monkey butt test for any seat- I've only done about 450 miles in a day on this bike. I had a Russell Day-Long on a ST1100 several years ago and didn't like it- ended up using a Corbin for LD rides.
nealcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #1175
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4lho View Post
How do you use the smuggler with that rear box on it?
I really haven't needed to put anything in the seat compartment regularly. If I push the trunk slightly up and rearwards, the cover will open. I did have to do quite a bit of trimming of the bottom of the fiberglass in order to mount the rack for the trunk. I think it took about an hour of grinding and sanding with the Dremel to make it work. It's not pretty looking at the bottom of the seat pan but you can only see the modification when it is off the bike. Wear a mask if you grind away at the fiberglass. That stuff is nasty.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #1176
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 812
Here's my Prudhoe Bay on a VFR ride report:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706698
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #1177
boduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
4th gen

I love my viffer!
I picked mine up in 07. I was getting ready to do a ride to Laguna for the moto GP race. Less than a month before the trip the ECU puked in my Ducati. This was terrible timing as the DP ECU's had just gone way up in price, they wanted $1600 just for the ECU. This really rubbed the wrong way so I said no thanks.
Ran into this at the local dealer: 1997 with 4400 miles, Corbin solo seat and beattle bags, touring screen, all set up and ready to go. I picked it up thinking I could just sell it when I got back...by the time I got back there was no way I was selling this bike!
It's a fantastic all around street bike. Bomb proof and very easy to own and maintain.
It's very smooth and reliable but still has personality!

Every Ducati should come with a Honda...
Attached Images

boduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #1178
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,570
I want details on how you mounted those beetle bags! That looks fantastic!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #1179
FrankoQ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
I am trying to figure out where I could place an auxiliary fuse box. I have installed the Blue Sea on my previous bikes and love that setup but there is no space under the seat- or anywhere else that's easily accessible. Has anyone found any creative solutions?
Here is my set up. I can't use the fuse box cover, but it works fine.

FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #1180
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,085
Yikes!! There are a lot of hot, exposed terminals on the Blue Seas with the cover off. I'd try and fab up some sort of a cover to keep from hitting any of those terminals. I'm sure that you have a main fuse on the power feed from the battery (you do right?) so it would just blow the main fuse at worst if you touch a terminal to ground.

To the original question: Why not try a FuzeBlock?
They are considerably smaller, and include an integral relay for switched loads. Might be able to find the room for that easier than the big BlueSea.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #1181
FrankoQ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJWinNH View Post
Yikes!! There are a lot of hot, exposed terminals on the Blue Seas with the cover off. I'd try and fab up some sort of a cover to keep from hitting any of those terminals. I'm sure that you have a main fuse on the power feed from the battery (you do right?) so it would just blow the main fuse at worst if you touch a terminal to ground.

To the original question: Why not try a FuzeBlock?
They are considerably smaller, and include an integral relay for switched loads. Might be able to find the room for that easier than the big BlueSea.
Yes I have a main fuse just in case. Not much if anything under the seat moving around that could touch a hot wire/terminal but you never know. For now it works fine. I just had this fuse box from my previous 4th gen so I just reused it. If I did not have it, I would have shopped around for something smaller/better such as the fuzeblock.

FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #1182
nealcassady
Novice

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJWinNH View Post
Why not try a FuzeBlock?
Eighty bucks plus shipping is the main reason... yea, I'm a tight-ass... but also because they're complex and if the integrated relay fails you can't just plug in a new one beside the road. I've had relays fail so I like to carry a spare. It's the only moving part in the setup.

I can see wrapping that Blue Sea in a piece of rubber (inner tube section) and securing with a zip tie to eliminate the potential for shorting out a hot wire. I think I'll go ahead and order one.
nealcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #1183
boduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I want details on how you mounted those beetle bags! That looks fantastic!
Thanks!
They have a three point attachment. Main point is where rear fairing bolts to sub frame. one point below each bag. On the exhaust hanger on right and rear set on left. Third point is bar that connects both bags together and attaches to plate holder.
I'm very pleased with both the bags and the saddle. Saddle is very comfortable, and the bags seem to have been built with the idea of carrying a 6 pack. It's surprising how much you can get in them.
They look good too, or at least as good as bags can look on a bike. They give her a nice curvy backside
Attached Images

boduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #1184
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Eighty bucks plus shipping is the main reason... yea, I'm a tight-ass... but also because they're complex and if the integrated relay fails you can't just plug in a new one beside the road.
No need to. You just move the fuse over to the "always on side" and the relay is a moot point. No reliability concerns with a FuzeBlock.

But... whatever floats your bote, matey. If you want your electrics panel under your seat wrapped in scraps of inner tubes, have at it.

PS - I didn't pay that much for my FuzeBlock, maybe $60 (shipped), which considering a BS is $40-45 and a big 12V relay is another $5-6,,, But I think I got it during a winter group buy or sumt'in.

PPS - The corbin beattle bags look awe$$ome. Too bad they aren't an option anymore except on 6th gens.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #1185
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
I have a Bluesea on my 5th gen and a Fuzeblock on my KLR. My choice would be the smaller Fuzeblock. One nice thing about the BS is that you can use both types of fuses and the price.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote