Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #1351
btl68
Behind bars for days

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
I've been searching for a 5th gen in my area for the longest time and have had zero luck.

I've got a line on a 6th gen ('04) with low mileage in great condition for a great price.

Do you guys think I'll get sick of the VTEC and wish I had held out for a 5th gen, or should I go for it?
IMHO, I'd get a 5th gen, for the gear cam whine and ease of valve adjustments. YMMV.

Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...
btl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #1352
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
For a 5th Gen windshield upgrade, nothing works like a Laminar Lip. I'd guess it works well for other iterations, too.

http://laminarlip.com/vfr.php
Old 10-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #1353
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
I've been searching for a 5th gen in my area for the longest time and have had zero luck.

I've got a line on a 6th gen ('04) with low mileage in great condition for a great price.

Do you guys think I'll get sick of the VTEC and wish I had held out for a 5th gen, or should I go for it?

I believe only the first year VTEC had the transition from two to for valves at 6K RPM. After some complaints they changed it to 7K RPM and this greatly reduced the abrupt change. I've ridden both and felt that yes you can feel it but unless you ride the bike right at that point it's very minor. I happen to really like the styling of those bikes even though I ride a 5th gen. I would say if you can get a deal on one of those go for it!
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #1354
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
I agree, if it is a good deal jump on it. I much prefer the style of the 6th gens. The headlight/front fairing design is nicer and the under seat exhaust is a much cleaner design. It really opens up the back end of the bike and makes the bike look more svelte in the rear. I do love that gear whine though.

I have ridden an 6th gen and did not find the transition all that noticeable. Sure it is there but I would have a hard time seeing any scenario where it would cause me problems. I do not ride the bike at it's limit anyway, my own limits are much lower than the bikes.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #1355
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunssd View Post
For a 5th Gen windshield upgrade, nothing works like a Laminar Lip. I'd guess it works well for other iterations, too.

http://laminarlip.com/vfr.php
This link? http://www.laminarlip.com/vfr.php
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #1356
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerspur View Post
The problem is the smiley face appended itself to the link. The laminar link is valid w/wo the www.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #1357
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,498
in 2006 they lowered the Vtec range by 200rpm to smooth out the power surge.
Storm Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #1358
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe? View Post
How do you like that windshield? How tall are you/where does the wind hit you? Nice set up, btw
Screen works great, im 175cm, a short guy, and the wind hits just short of the top of the helmet for me. top stuff when you lean over teh tank with it, the wind by passes you all together
Storm Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #1359
blakjak
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2008 vfr vtec

I picked mine (08 w/5300 miles for $5k) up used about a month or so back. Sold a 929RR to get this one as I plan on taking a trip from Florida to Cali and back next March.

Initial impressions after about 1500 miles now are the VTEC is a non issue. People bothered by this transition I cannot understand. Power is lacking a bit in the lower RPM's but if you wind it out, she comes alive in the upper register.

I've added Heli-Bars and a set of OEM bags. Got a ZG Touring windscreen coming this week to get the air up a bit. I'm 5'8" and the wind bothers me a tad compared to the 929. Seat and pegs are fine for me right now.

Love the center stand, makes chain and tire maintenance on the road nice. Linked brakes are pretty nice as well. Suspension can be stiffened up satisfactorily for my 165 lbs and the luggage. I've got Pilot Road 2's on it now and the handling is very nice. It's not a heavy bike but it did add 130+ lbs from what the 929 weighed in at.

Fuel economy isn't too bad at 40-41 mpg steady. I usually cruise between 85-95 most of the time on the slab.

I don't see personally any major problems with performing the valve maintenance. Honda specs 16k mile intervals and they don't expect the plugs to get changed until 32k miles. All of it seems to be within the capability of the home mechanic if they take thier time and read the manual.

I think it's going to be a very nice bike for touring and commuting on for quite a few years.
blakjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #1360
leadthrower21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I traded up about a month ago from a '99 CB750 to a '01 VFR800. What a difference.
I see why people call this a "perfect bike", everything about it just works (for me )

One issue I have though, I ordered the solo seat cowl from Honda, and the paint doesn't match at all. Ok, well, it does. It's red, but nowhere near the same shade. Reading around VFRD they say R-157 is a factory variance color, meaning it changed through the years. I talked to an auto painter who said he could match it *crosses fingers*

Would custom matching the paint be the best route? I've seen colorrite, but I've read it's the same messed up shade I already have.
leadthrower21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #1361
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadthrower21 View Post
Would custom matching the paint be the best route? I've seen colorrite, but I've read it's the same messed up shade I already have.
The other option would be to paint it a contrasting color (black? or dark gray) and call it a day.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #1362
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 303
Nice setup. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
I will copy and paste over my post on another forum regarding the tank lock setup.
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #1363
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 303
That might be a good idea. The fairing on my yellow '00 has been repainted twice and is still the wrong color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJWinNH View Post
The other option would be to paint it a contrasting color (black? or dark gray) and call it a day.
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #1364
raptor2a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I had a local shop match some paint to respray the beetle bags I got this summer...long story short...they did it (old timer w/years of matching exp), it looks good, but it was damn expensive...I was lucky, I was able to paint both bags w/ a pint at a cost of $150.00....a quart would have been almost $300. They used my rear seat cowl for the match...it has never been on the bike, so it was basically matching to a brand new paint...there is some slight difference on the bike paint, but you'd have to know that to notice it...but now you do... :)

Edit...the $150 was just for the paint...not the actual painting... Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer View Post
That might be a good idea. The fairing on my yellow '00 has been repainted twice and is still the wrong color.
raptor2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #1365
ssason
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Thumb

Here we go.....

My "new" 2006 VFR 800 VTEC.....

After somebody stole my CBR600F '01 in may, i´ll be back on the road next spring

Here is a pic and next year i hope to bring a few more
Attached Images

ssason is offline   Reply With Quote