Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #1366
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I would love to find some beetle bags for my 01, seems like it's close to impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor2a View Post
I had a local shop match some paint to respray the beetle bags I got this summer...long story short...they did it (old timer w/years of matching exp), it looks good, but it was damn expensive...I was lucky, I was able to paint both bags w/ a pint at a cost of $150.00....a quart would have been almost $300. They used my rear seat cowl for the match...it has never been on the bike, so it was basically matching to a brand new paint...there is some slight difference on the bike paint, but you'd have to know that to notice it...but now you do... :)

Edit...the $150 was just for the paint...not the actual painting... Doh!
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #1367
raptor2a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey View Post
I would love to find some beetle bags for my 01, seems like it's close to impossible!
Yeah, it took me a long time to find them and then they weren't in great shape...pretty beat up, that's why I had them sprayed...worth the wait...I just didn't like any of the other 5th gen luggage options. They're not huge nor do they come off easily or store a full size helmet, but with a tank bag and tail bag you can carry just about everything and your ass end doesn't stick out like a pick-up truck... :) They came out pretty good.

raptor2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #1368
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor2a View Post
Yeah, it took me a long time to find them and then they weren't in great shape...pretty beat up, that's why I had them sprayed...worth the wait...I just didn't like any of the other 5th gen luggage options. They're not huge nor do they come off easily or store a full size helmet, but with a tank bag and tail bag you can carry just about everything and your ass end doesn't stick out like a pick-up truck... :) They came out pretty good.
I have to agree that the Beetle bags are the best looking option with the least ASS.

I went with some Hepco Becker 30 liters with quick off SW Motech racks.

The 6th gen factory option would be great but............we don't have it!
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #1369
WTW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Vfr 750 1990
Attached Images

WTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #1370
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,160
How long do the original R/Rs typically last?
My 1998 5th Gen only has 12K miles, and the battery recently died. I've ordered the Rick's electric upgraded R/R and the VFRness from wiremybike.com -- and if the old regulator checks bad, it should be replaceable under the extended warranty passed on from the previous owner.

Wondering if the original R/R is likely to check good after so few miles, meaning the battery failure isn't attributable to the R/R, in which case none of the work will be covered under warranty.

Guano11 screwed with this post 11-15-2011 at 10:46 PM
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #1371
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I am over 40K on my 99. Still on my 2nd battery and original RR. One of these days I will buy a spare RR prior to a tour. The RR is kind of like a doooo on a KLR.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #1372
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
How long do the original R/Rs typically last?
My 1998 5th Gen only has 12K miles, and the battery recently died. I've ordered the Rick's electric upgraded R/R and the VFRness from wiremybike.com -- and if the old regulator checks bad, it should be replaceable under the extended warranty passed on from the previous owner.

Wondering if the original R/R is likely to check good after so few miles, meaning the battery failure isn't attributable to the R/R, in which case none of the work will be covered under warranty.
W/O doing some initial, relatively simple checks with a multimeter, you could be just wasting money and time.
How old was the battery?
There is no typical when it comes to r/rs, but 12k would be on the early side of failure. The old style r/r on my 96 lasted 80k. The first new style replacement I installed only lasted 10k, but the second is still functioning fine with over 70k on it. A Rick's r/r that I installed this year died w/in 6k, but that failure was due to the connections frying.
What kind of extended warranty covers a 14 yr old m/c and why would you order a r/r from Rick's if the warranty will replace the original if it's bad?

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #1373
Guano11
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
W/O doing some initial, relatively simple checks with a multimeter, you could be just wasting money and time.
How old was the battery?
There is no typical when it comes to r/rs, but 12k would be on the early side of failure. The old style r/r on my 96 lasted 80k. The first new style replacement I installed only lasted 10k, but the second is still functioning fine with over 70k on it. A Rick's r/r that I installed this year died w/in 6k, but that failure was due to the connections frying.
What kind of extended warranty covers a 14 yr old m/c and why would you order a r/r from Rick's if the warranty will replace the original if it's bad?
No telling how old the battery was; previous owner left no record, nor are there any "punchouts" indicating purchase date.
Good to know your R/Rs lasted so long, but it's not clear to me what causes the failures -- mileage, heat, cycles, drain, etc, which is sorta why I asked.
Extended warranty was also purchased by PO, and was transferrable. I'm sure it's 3rd party and it wasn't cheap. "Insurance" is a more appropriate term IMO -- and you can insure anything regardless of its age.
Finally, I assume the R/R is a "pay me now or pay me later" issue and that the Rick's Electric unit is better than OEM -- assumptions all based on this forum. Even my dealer said that if the R/R checks bad, warranty will replace it with OEM but it'll likely fail again; he recommended aftermarket (part at my expense, labor covered under warranty). Seemed experienced with the issue, citing battery, R/R, & stator testing in that order.

Anyway, seems like an easy parts swap (exception: stator), even for a knuckledragger like me. Swapping the battery in the VFR was by far the easiest of all my bikes!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #1374
MapMaster
Human Compass

Quote:
No telling how old the battery was; previous owner left no record, nor are there any "punchouts" indicating purchase date.

Good to know your R/Rs lasted so long, but it's not clear to me what causes the failures -- mileage, heat, cycles, drain, etc, which is sorta why I asked.
Anyway, seems like an easy parts swap (exception: stator), even for a knuckledragger like me. Swapping the battery in the VFR was by far the easiest of all my bikes!
Age alone can do the battery in.
Not so much the r/r directly, but corrosion build up on the connectors can take the r/r very quickly and age can contribute to that failure mode.
Changing the stator on the VFR is a pretty easy job, but that's not likely to be the problem on a bike with so little mileage. Mine failed after 160,000 miles.

Hope it all gets sorted out.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #1375
Guano11
Half Decaf

Quote:
Mine failed after 160,000 miles.
I'd say you got your money's worth!
Curious, though (and maybe a better question for The Garage), but what actually fails on a stator? Isn't it simply wires on a coil with no moving parts? It's "static", hence the name "stator", right? Does it get hot under electical load, melt the insulation, then short?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #1376
MapMaster
Human Compass

Quote:
I'd say you got your money's worth!
Curious, though (and maybe a better question for The Garage), but what actually fails on a stator? Isn't it simply wires on a coil with no moving parts? It's "static", hence the name "stator", right? Does it get hot under electical load, melt the insulation, then short?
I'm not an electrical guru, but I think you've nailed it. The insulation around the windings can break down. When I pulled the old one, there was some darkening around two of the coils and the AC output across two of the three wire pairings was bad. Talking with Rick at Rick's Electrics, he said that stators often will looked charred and you can smell the burnt insulation in many cases when you pull the cover off of them.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #1377
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
I'm not an electrical guru, but I think you've nailed it. The insulation around the windings can break down. When I pulled the old one, there was some darkening around two of the coils and the AC output across two of the three wire pairings was bad. Talking with Rick at Rick's Electrics, he said that stators often will looked charred and you can smell the burnt insulation in many cases when you pull the cover off of them.
Ricks is the place to get a new stator and RR. Very good service!
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #1378
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Here's mine (until it sells) -- can you guess why it is different?

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #1379
Guano11
Half Decaf

Got the drop-shipped R/R today. Made in Taiwan, but hey, what isn't? Will wait until I receive the harness before I start disassembling and testing.
But I wonder....if my OEM parts check good, should I replace the R/R and harness anyway under the premise that the replacements are not prone to the same failure mode?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #1380
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,886
Quote:
should I replace the R/R and harness anyway under the premise that the replacements are not prone to the same failure mode?

Yes

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote