Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #1441
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
That's why I love the Pelicans - wide enough to hold as much stuff as you could possibly want for a reasonable length trip, yet not whale ass wide. They don't hold a full face helmet, but that is what the top box is for.
Plus, they are strong enough that when you drop it in the driveway (don't ask ) there is not a scratch on them, and they actually act as frame sliders
Well I like to camp off the bike and a tent, sleeping bag, self inflating pad, rain gear, tool kit, jet boil, spare fuel bottle, spare water bottle, and a few extra bits of clothes really fill up the Givi bags. I could not get away with Pelicans. I recently upgraded tents to one that packs down to half the size of the old Kelty 2 man unit so that is part of the solution to packing smaller and lighter. I need to upgrade sleeping bags as my current one is way too bulky.

I do like the benefits drop protection of the bags. Dropped tested mine twice on a trip last fall and there is not a scratch on the bike. Made it easier to pick up as well. Soft ground in the campground caused the first tip over. A hasty ill planned U turn to try to get back to riding partner that had just crashed behind me was the cause of the second.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #1442
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
Are you guys buying the pelican cases and givi rack online or in a local dealer?
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #1443
mayday
Stromer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandPirateMBC View Post
Are you guys buying the pelican cases and givi rack online or in a local dealer?
with Pelicans there are two ways of doing it;
- the full meal deal - that would be to place an order with Caribou Cases - they are basically Pelicans that a supplier has made a custom mount for - supposed to be well engineered
- the do it yourself method - buy the givi rack from a dealer, then the cases from your closest supplier and bolt the two together - quite a bit cheaper, but a little bit of practical know how required

as far as dealer vs on-line - i found a good deal for the rack locally, the cases were found on-line

mayday screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 07:52 PM Reason: additional info
mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #1444
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,490
list is getting shorter of what i want, basically oggie knobs (which i beleive a lovely lady has brought me) and Pc5, wouldnt mind some pannier inner bags for the v35 if i can find some on teh cheap.

Summary a 2011 VFR800Fi in Limited Edition Pearl White,

Givi Plxr166 Rapid release pannier brackets
Givi FZ166 MonoKey topbox bracket

Givi V35 Panniers, closer fittign and more aerodynamic.
Givi V46 Topbox
Givi Topbox rack
Givi Touring Spoiler Screen,
Ignigtor Alarm
Pazzoish levers
Carbon Fibre tripple tree cover
Ram mount, for gps, and camera mount, Ottor Box as well
Powerlet headStem Powersocket.
Oxford Sports Heated Grips
Powerlet Top box power.
Stain Tunes and Sandy Decat Headers
K&N High Flow Air filter

picked up a givi v46 top box brake like kit for 20 bucks one of them new old stock things, seems like a complicated thing, plug in bottom of the box, then a contact plug for when you open the top box..
Should i get a rear hugger, and/or a fender eliminator if they fit with my pannier mounts (under number plate)?

Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #1445
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Fork Upgrade

Alright so I've decided I'd like to put some work into the front end of my 99 as its already got a 929'd shock.

I've been on VFRD researching and my head is spinning. I don't want to go through the hassle of swapping entire front ends. Although I'm sure the results would be stellar, I'd rather be riding than collecting pieces from 5 different kinds of bikes. I also don't mind the linked brakes, either.

Therefore it seems the best way to go is racetech springs and valving kits on the stock forks, but which ones? I've read the VFRs compression valve is harsh so just doing springs and oil won't cut it (although I'm sure it would be better than whats in the bike right now!). I'd probably go with .90 kg/mm springs fwiw.

I've never delved that deep into forks before (just springs/oil on my old bandit). How much more involved is revalving? Can anyone recommend a shop if its beyond the level of work you can do in a garage?
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #1446
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcc View Post
Alright so I've decided I'd like to put some work into the front end of my 99 as its already got a 929'd shock.

I've been on VFRD researching and my head is spinning. I don't want to go through the hassle of swapping entire front ends. Although I'm sure the results would be stellar, I'd rather be riding than collecting pieces from 5 different kinds of bikes. I also don't mind the linked brakes, either.

Therefore it seems the best way to go is racetech springs and valving kits on the stock forks, but which ones? I've read the VFRs compression valve is harsh so just doing springs and oil won't cut it (although I'm sure it would be better than whats in the bike right now!). I'd probably go with .90 kg/mm springs fwiw.

I've never delved that deep into forks before (just springs/oil on my old bandit). How much more involved is revalving? Can anyone recommend a shop if its beyond the level of work you can do in a garage?

Don't be afraid of doing it yourself. If you talk to Racetech they'll tailor the bits to your bike and weight. You've already pulled a fork set apart before and this won't be much different, it'll be just remove and replace.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #1447
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Checking in with my Y2K VFR. Bought new in May, 2000 from Musselman Honda (Tucson). I use a tank bag for weekend trips and have a matching Arai helmet. Great bike. Only mods are to the levers (not shown in photo) and she still cleans up well.
Attached Images

Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #1448
Rexford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Hopefully some of you guys can answer a few questions for me, I am looking to put one of two bikes in my garage for a stablemate to my Ultra. I am looking at a VFR and a Kawi 1000. Looking for comfort as well as handling.. My question for you is, what known problems will I need to address with say a 2007-2009 vfr ie: did I read about having to replace the wiring harness and the R/R (not a mechanic so I have no idea what the heck that is.....?) Is this a common problem to be dealt with? And, is the insurance really steep ( I know that is subjective.) as compared to say the Ninja. I am 52, married, home owner, no tickets or wrecks (knocks on wood!). The Ninja looks to be about 1K a year for full coverage with a multi bike policy.....sheeeesh. Anyway, I ramble...my wife will tell you not to make eye contact or I won't shut up.

Thanks for all of your help

Rexford

'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Many others gone but not forgotten
Harleys, Beemers, Ktms, Yamahas and a couple of Hondas....Miss you guys.
Rexford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #1449
south
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:

Revalving cartridge forks is a little more involved than rehabbing simple damper rod units, but generally can be handled with hand tools and a little patience. I've got a post over on VFRD about delinking brakes and other mods which includes installation of Gold Valve kits--both compression and rebound--in the stock forks (albeit with Superhawk lower tubes--but same exact idea). HUGE improvement. The Race Tech instructions aren't the clearest perhaps, but they have good support over the phone, and there're plenty of detailed how-to posts around.
south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #1450
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Just ordered a new givi rack buuuut reg rectifier just blew. Wheres the cheapest place to track one down online for a generation 3?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #1451
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Tracked a solid deal for one down on ebay, The veefer should be back on the road in three days =)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #1452
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
Revalving cartridge forks is a little more involved than rehabbing simple damper rod units, but generally can be handled with hand tools and a little patience. I've got a post over on VFRD about delinking brakes and other mods which includes installation of Gold Valve kits--both compression and rebound--in the stock forks (albeit with Superhawk lower tubes--but same exact idea). HUGE improvement. The Race Tech instructions aren't the clearest perhaps, but they have good support over the phone, and there're plenty of detailed how-to posts around.
Do you have the link to your thread? I'd like to scan through it and sponge up whatever info I can before starting to throw money around.

I also found some info about people cutting about 4 inches off the stock springs (and adding appropriate length spacer) with good results. Seems a bit shade-tree mechanic-y to me though
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #1453
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
I also found some info about people cutting about 4 inches off the stock springs (and adding appropriate length spacer) with good results. Seems a bit shade-tree mechanic-y to me though

This is a very bad idea (as well as quite stupid).

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #1454
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexford View Post
Hopefully some of you guys can answer a few questions for me, I am looking to put one of two bikes in my garage for a stablemate to my Ultra. I am looking at a VFR and a Kawi 1000. Looking for comfort as well as handling.. My question for you is, what known problems will I need to address with say a 2007-2009 vfr ie: did I read about having to replace the wiring harness and the R/R (not a mechanic so I have no idea what the heck that is.....?) Is this a common problem to be dealt with? And, is the insurance really steep ( I know that is subjective.) as compared to say the Ninja. I am 52, married, home owner, no tickets or wrecks (knocks on wood!). The Ninja looks to be about 1K a year for full coverage with a multi bike policy.....sheeeesh. Anyway, I ramble...my wife will tell you not to make eye contact or I won't shut up.

Rexford
I don't beleive the R/R (regulator/rectifier -- it makes the battery charge correctly and keeps the entire bike electrical system happy) was a problem anymore by '07-'09. Insurance on the VFR is most likely going to be cheaper than for the Ninja. The "Ninja" monicker has scared insurance companies for years and continues to be a problem for those looking for affordable insurance for that line of motorcycle.

The VFR will have higher maintenance costs for regular maintenance -- you say you aren't a mechanic so I assume a shop/dealer is going to be doing the work for you. The vtec valves are quite a chore to adjust and I regularly hear of dealers charging $700 and up for this service.

That said, the VFR, if maintained, is not going to break down. Incredibly reliable bikes. Boringly reliable. Which is good.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #1455
AWolff
AWolff

Oddometer: 427
Vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexford View Post

Rexford
I have a 2003 VFR and it's the most reliable bike I've owned. Cheap(ish) to insure, and maintenance is spendy but relatively infrequent. Consensus seems to be you can skip every other scheduled valve check after the first one without much risk of a failure. The few problems people have are IMHO overblown because the bikes are usually so good.

As for VFR v. Ninja 1000 - I have a Ducati 848 as well and if I'm honest I am no faster on the Ducati than on the VFR. It is self-preservation and avoiding magistrates court that limits my performance on the road, not the bike. If I had to let one go, the VFR would stay.

In all the years and across all the types, I've never had anything that was so good and so much as the VFR. Truly an excellent motorcycle.

-AWolff
AWolff is offline   Reply With Quote