Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
heindlengineeringura
svman00

Oddometer: 123
When we sell a bike, our state (Ohio) requires that we convert the MCO into a title. We give you a an ohio title and your state simply converts it into a title in your state. Ural requires customers to be present at the dealership location to take delivery.
Heidenau Tires
http://www.heindlengineering.com/Onl...enau_tires.htm
sales@heindlengineering.com
www.heindlengineering.com
heindlengineeringura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #17
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I live in NC. Heindl is correct that IMWA requires over the counter purchase*.
I went out to Ural NW and did the purchase and flew back home. Ural NW sent me the MSO and I took it to the DMV, no problem.
* There is a dealer (down south) who trailers a bike over several state lines to sell one in another dealer's backyard.
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #18
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by heindlengineeringura
When we sell a bike, our state (Ohio) requires that we convert the MCO into a title. We give you a an ohio title and your state simply converts it into a title in your state. Ural requires customers to be present at the dealership location to take delivery.
I have a question or two, but first a little back ground info...

In Feb of 2008 I was approved for a loan on a new Ural Patrol (with $1500 down payment) that had a MSO dated Nov 2007.

When the credit union loan officer saw the date on the MSO, I was told that the machine was a 2007 model and as such I would need aprox $6500 down payment due to the Ural being a non current year model.

Is a Ural with a MSO of November 2007 considered a 2007 or 2008?

Have you ever ran into this type of problem before?

kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #19
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
your Ural is a 2007 as per the MSO but your state may title it as a 2008 cause thats when the rig was first titled --they are two intirely different pieces of documentation--- just as a birth certificate and an Origin of birth certificate are.---- BTW wander when PEBO's is gonna show up
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
heindlengineeringura
svman00

Oddometer: 123
The date on the MCO is simply the date when the ownership of the bike passed from the Importer (IMWA) to the Dealer. If the bike has a 2007 vin number, then it is a 2007. If it has a 2008 vin number, then it is a 2008. Now you ask how do you tell if it has a 2007 or a 2008 vin number. Simple, there is a "U" in the vin number and the number before that indicates the year. If it says *********8U****** then it is a 2008 or *********7U****** then it is a 2007.
Heidenau Tires
http://www.heindlengineering.com/Onl...enau_tires.htm
sales@heindlengineering.com
www.heindlengineering.com
heindlengineeringura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #21
stitchergary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Pissed

I know this isn't going to help your question about registering the Ural in NJ, but I did have a little problem in New York State and purchased from a NY dealer. The dealer only had the inspection done and left the registration to me. He delivered it to my home and the following day I drove to the DMV. When they entered the VIN number into their computer it didn't match anything. I explained it was a brand new 2007 Ural (this was done in 2007). She said they would accept the paperwork when the inspection was done.. I never received any paperwork from the inspection, just the sticker attached to the frame. She then said if I could get a picture of the VIN on the frame. That's almost impossible since it's on the hack side and if I remember the painting was done after the numbers were put on. So I took a paper and rubbed a pencil over the top to get a trace. I took that back. She studied it like she was looking for fake currency and questioned one of the letters. Apparently she had a change of heart when she looked at my VERY disturbed expression on my face. She said she'd force the paperwork through and I got my registration and title....Whew!!!
stitchergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
WKinNJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen
Good Afternoon All-

Hoping you can help me out. I am SO close to purchasing a Patrol, but just have one question. I called a dealership and they said the Urals don't come with titles, they come with MSOs which is a "title before it becomes a title." Can anyone explain this to me. Has anyone had any problem obtaining a title using a MSO instead of title?

Thanks.
As far as I know all vehicles have an MSO or CO but most of the time you never see this documentation because the dealer does the registration process for you. I have purchase several out-of state bikes and taken the MSO/CO to NJ DMV and was issued a title and registration -including a 2007 URAL (purchased in PA). However, fairly recently the NJ DMV has become the MVC and apparently has a "list" of approved vehicles and there is a discrepancy with URAL. I would check with the NJ MVC before you purchase - not sure if IMWA has this worked out yet.
WKinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #23
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I've been in contact with the Ural owner who is still experiencing this problem in New Jersey. He's been banging his head against this beaurocratic wall since August. He's asking for help, any new suggestions out there?

Our last correspondence;

I read the thread over at ADVRiders, but I can't register 'cause the registration process is disabled. Feel free to copy/paste my input:

You hit all of the points that the fellow needs to know. Basically, he won't be able to register it in NJ. I already went through the EPA and DOT picture-taking tasks and nothing has happened so far. IMWA says they are working on it, but I don't believe them anymore. It's been six months.

The North Jersey Dealer, Motorcycle Mall, was somewhat helpful to me, but I didn't buy the rig from them and they helped me all they could. Also, they have not sold a rig into NJ in over a year and they aren't getting involved until they do.

Even if he gets the MSO, it probably says Ural, so he will be in the same boat as me. If he wants to proceed any further, he needs to look at the MSO, see what the first three VIN digits are (probably X8J like my 2004 Patrol) and what the make is (probably Ural, like mine). If that is the case, he won't be able to title it in NJ until IMWA gets the situation resolved through working with NHTSA. If the make says Irbit Motor Works of America, he stands a decent chance of getting it titled.

My email is niteblues59@hotmail.com and I would welcome ANYONE'S input/advise/assistance on this very troublesome issue.

Scott
Mullica Hill NJ

ReCycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #24
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Dyslexia?

....Not to highjack an excellent thread,
about an important concern, But....

.....every time I see it, my brain says:

"Tilting A Ural"

(it's just me, isn't it?)

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #25
cactakla
n00balicious

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Back
....Not to highjack an excellent thread,
about an important concern, But....

.....every time I see it, my brain says:

"Tilting A Ural"

(it's just me, isn't it?)
No.... I was right there with you. So disappointed to find it was about paperwork.

Bleh.
cactakla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
JerseyBlues
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
KneeDrachen- what did you decide?

You can PM me to discuss further- I'm having serious issues in NJ getting my Patrol titled (ReCycled posted about my mis-adventures so far...)

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"
JerseyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote