ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #1501
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer
 
Detlef in Oz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Wagga Wagga Australia
Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post




Had a bloke on a P course today. Currently on a TT600 Belgarda (noice). He's planning on doing the restoration thing with it..anyway. He was saying that he had planned to buy a harley but, since getting about the place on the TT, and watching E-whan and Char-lay on the box, he's more interested in buying something that will go everywhere the HD will and then some. Spent some time checking out the bits and pieces on the Tiger. He may be watching?? I was attempting to spread the gospel.
that'll be the 'ROAR' gospel right? lol (where is that pic)
__________________
Detlef

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #1502
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer
 
Detlef in Oz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Wagga Wagga Australia
Oddometer: 579
on the note of big bikes, is there any reason why I shouldn't get a R1100RT 2000 or similar for touring, as second bike of course
__________________
Detlef

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #1503
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs
 
fayeslane's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Albury, NSW
Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef in Oz View Post
on the note of big bikes, is there any reason why I shouldn't get a R1100RT 2000 or similar for touring, as second bike of course

Yeah, you're not old enough yet



The R1150RT were pretty well regarded performance and handling wise. There are a couple of R1200RTs (ex police or feds) around at good prices at the moment
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2007-BMW-...item19ce0bb221
__________________
fayeslane
2002 Yamaha TDM900
BMW R80G/S
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC

fayeslane screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 02:49 AM
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #1504
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef in Oz View Post
on the note of big bikes, is there any reason why I shouldn't get a R1100RT 2000 or similar for touring, as second bike of course
Funny you should mention that. I have currently been looking around for a cheap old road bike to do up as a blacktop tourer.
Not sure exactly what to get or if I should even get one at all seeing rego is so expensive. But I reckon some sort of air cooled inline four would do the trick. Took an FJ1100 for a spin yesterday. It was in pretty good nick for its age but I don't think it is quite what I want.
Then again I found a couple of TDM850's on ebay and they look interesting too. Does anyone know much about them?
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #1505
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs
 
fayeslane's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Albury, NSW
Oddometer: 1,537
Waste a couple of hours here Troy -http://www.carpe-tdm.net/tdmforum/index.php
__________________
fayeslane
2002 Yamaha TDM900
BMW R80G/S
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #1506
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef in Oz View Post
on the note of big bikes, is there any reason why I shouldn't get a R1100RT 2000 or similar for touring, as second bike of course

This would be the grey one on Hammond Ave? Or is that an 1150?

If you buy one and don't like it, you can always put it up for sale again and try something else.

If you don't buy one, you will think 'I should've' every time you see one.





And they are pretty good at dragging a sidecar.
__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #1507
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer
 
Detlef in Oz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Wagga Wagga Australia
Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
This would be the grey one on Hammond Ave? Or is that an 1150?

If you buy one and don't like it, you can always put it up for sale again and try something else.

If you don't buy one, you will think 'I should've' every time you see one.





And they are pretty good at dragging a sidecar.
Yes Ray that is the one mmmm
__________________
Detlef

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #1508
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs
 
fayeslane's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Albury, NSW
Oddometer: 1,537
Weather forecast doesn't look too flash for Wednesday
__________________
fayeslane
2002 Yamaha TDM900
BMW R80G/S
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #1509
ADV-Wes
I'm not lost....yet.
 
ADV-Wes's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: NE Victoria (Aus).
Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane View Post
Yeah, you're not old enough yet



The R1150RT were pretty well regarded performance and handling wise. There are a couple of R1200RTs (ex police or feds) around at good prices at the moment
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2007-BMW-...item19ce0bb221

Another option???

http://www.manheim.com.au/brvm/items...=SearchResults
__________________
'10 KTM 250 sxf '10 KTM 690 Enduro R
'98 Ducati 916 sps '01 Ducati 748 s (the Track weapon!)

Project '97 XR250R
ADV-Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #1510
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane View Post
Weather forecast doesn't look too flash for Wednesday
I reckon, unless it's belting down, it's still something I'm going to do for the day. Must buy new ww pants! One pair torn to shreds, one pair with a leaky crutch.

I may also go down there Saturday, for the day. With the missus.

Junee with the classic bike club on Sunday. Get the RD out and make some noise.
__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #1511
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
..........

I shall see if I can line up some ducks for next week.

Steve
It would seem the ducks aren't quite lined up, so will pass on this one on Weds.

Next time
Steve

PS, Have a good one, and I'll be thinking of you in the pouring rain
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #1512
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs
 
fayeslane's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Albury, NSW
Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
one pair with a leaky crutch.
It's an age thing Ray
__________________
fayeslane
2002 Yamaha TDM900
BMW R80G/S
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #1513
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs
 
fayeslane's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Albury, NSW
Oddometer: 1,537
I'll call it on the day. If I'm coming I'll be at Khancoban at 9.30am as arranged.

Apparently forecasters have been wrong before -who knew?
__________________
fayeslane
2002 Yamaha TDM900
BMW R80G/S
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #1514
Trotski
Adventurer
 
Trotski's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Jerangle NSW Australia
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by trokel View Post
Funny you should mention that. I have currently been looking around for a cheap old road bike to do up as a blacktop tourer.
Not sure exactly what to get or if I should even get one at all seeing rego is so expensive. But I reckon some sort of air cooled inline four would do the trick. Took an FJ1100 for a spin yesterday. It was in pretty good nick for its age but I don't think it is quite what I want.
Then again I found a couple of TDM850's on ebay and they look interesting too. Does anyone know much about them?
I've had the 850 and now have a 900, if your looking for a good blacktop tourer (with some dirt road ability) a TDM would be hard to beat, the long travel and heaps of torque are excellent on the twisty back roads, some 850's have issues with oil consumption, the 900 is a great bike for the conditions here, we even took 8 TDM's down to McKillops Bridge from Omeo in 2010 all with road tyres.
__________________
2010 Yamaha TDM900


If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer
Trotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #1515
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane View Post
Waste a couple of hours here Troy -http://www.carpe-tdm.net/tdmforum/index.php
Thanks for the link.
Now I just need to find a couple of hours to Waste, can you find that for me as well


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotski

I've had the 850 and now have a 900, if your looking for a good blacktop tourer (with some dirt road ability) a TDM would be hard to beat, the long travel and heaps of torque are excellent on the twisty back roads, some 850's have issues with oil consumption, the 900 is a great bike for the conditions here, we even took 8 TDM's down to McKillops Bridge from Omeo in 2010 all with road tyres.
MMM, something to think about.
As for oil consumption I own a KLR so I know all about that. Depending on how it goes on my trip to the Flinders in a few weeks time there is a good chance that it may get a 685 kit when I get back.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014