Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #151
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo
Hi all,

anyone thinking of riding out to mungo for the NSW/VIC/SA get together?

I have roped in another bloke to ride from Wagga to Pooncarie on Friday 30th October, need to work out a route by dirt yet. (Damn it's hard being a map reader amongst all ye GPS converts )

I have altered my plans slightly and will do the Mungo get together then from there head north along the Darling River to Wilcannia where we will peel off and head to Camerons Corner.

Hope to leave Wagga on Friday 30th Oct and ride back into Wagga on Sunday 8th November. (10days / 9 nights, need to take 6 days off work, for those with jobs)

Finer details are yet to be nutted out. Anyone interested?

Cheers
Dobbo
Possibly, have been harassing Scray about routes to the Mungo get together. But if we can meet up then it would probably be a better option for me.

Are you planning on being at the Pooncarrie Hotel friday night?
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #152
dobbo
dirt dog

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
Possibly, have been harassing Scray about routes to the Mungo get together. But if we can meet up then it would probably be a better option for me.

Hi Steve,

yeah mate planning to be at Pooncarrie Pub Friday night, although I have been having trouble booking a room in the place, anyway will have the tent on the back so should be no problems finding a bit of space nearby.

Planning to leave Wagga early Friday morning sometime, route yet to be decided. I have a bit of leave to burn so might even be able to get away Thursday, just thinking of those that can only arrange a long weekend.

Let me know if you are keen to meet up and travel out there. However, I will be continuing on to Cameron's Corner after the weekend, but I am sure there will be a few heading back home on Sunday.

Cheers
Dobbo
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #153
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Steve,

yeah mate planning to be at Pooncarrie Pub Friday night, although I have been having trouble booking a room in the place, anyway will have the tent on the back so should be no problems finding a bit of space nearby.

Planning to leave Wagga early Friday morning sometime, route yet to be decided. I have a bit of leave to burn so might even be able to get away Thursday, just thinking of those that can only arrange a long weekend.

Let me know if you are keen to meet up and travel out there. However, I will be continuing on to Cameron's Corner after the weekend, but I am sure there will be a few heading back home on Sunday.

Cheers
Dobbo
Dobbo,

All sounding good so far.

Had planned to camp near the pub Friday night. Understood you are heading west after, have got my return route planned.

My plans so far are to be in the Brindabellas first thing Wednesday and at the Pooncarrie pub by friday night.

Apart from that I have no constraints, if I may I would like to join you from Wagga in. It would be fairly easy for me to be there thursday, so if you have no other takers before then thats sounds good too. Oh and please let me know if fuel range will be critical, havent figured it out yet but suspect 450kms
Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #154
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,547
Quote:

Just to confirm, you're definitely not harrassing me, I love looking at maps & trying to work out routes that often intimidate me into not following them

I will stand corrected, but the fuel range you'll need to consider is from Balranald / Maude - depending on forward route - until
Ivanhoe if you're looping back around north east.
Menindee if you're going north west.
Coombah if you're going west.
Mildura if you're going south west.

Not certain that there is fuel at Hatfield. Memory says just the pub and a school (and that's probably closed).

Other than that fuel range shouldn't be any problem.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #155
dobbo
dirt dog

Quote:
Dobbo,

Apart from that I have no constraints, if I may I would like to join you from Wagga in. It would be fairly easy for me to be there thursday, so if you have no other takers before then thats sounds good too. Oh and please let me know if fuel range will be critical, havent figured it out yet but suspect 450kms
Steve,

Would be great to have you along.
I am not much of a planner, and usually just jump on my bike and ride off in the general direction of where I plan to be, but I'll try to nut out a decent route to Mungo. (I still only use the old map to travel by; but a couple in our riding group use GPS units)
I'd reckon 450 km distance would be ample. As the date gets a bit closer, I'll PM you with details (or you contact me via PM), routes, fuel, meeting points, distances,etc..
The other guy making the trip to Mungo then onto Cameron's Corner is on a TransAlp, so the route will be suitable for him and his bike.

Cheers,
Dobbo
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #156
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Scray, good to hear its not harrasment, but it does make a good story so Im gunna stick to it. Maybe I shouldnt talk to you as I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew as it is.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #157
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Dobbo,

Sounding better all the time, not an issue with planning as Im sure you'll know a better route than I can pcik off a map. Will find you at TTT and talk then.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #158
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Steve,

Would be great to have you along.
I am not much of a planner, and usually just jump on my bike and ride off in the general direction of where I plan to be, but I'll try to nut out a decent route to Mungo. (I still only use the old map to travel by; but a couple in our riding group use GPS units)
I'd reckon 450 km distance would be ample. As the date gets a bit closer, I'll PM you with details (or you contact me via PM), routes, fuel, meeting points, distances,etc..
The other guy making the trip to Mungo then onto Cameron's Corner is on a TransAlp, so the route will be suitable for him and his bike.

Cheers,
Dobbo
When I went to Mungo with Andrew and Uncle Gra from Leeton we stayed on the northern side of the river & sturt Hwy and came out just before Balranald, easy dirt road and no traffic . Better check with Pooncarie as I believe they don't always have fuel available.

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #159
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Scray, good to hear its not harrasment, but it does make a good story so Im gunna stick to it. Maybe I shouldnt talk to you as I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew as it is.
You're not on your pat malone there.

Very hopeful that I'll be going to Mungo, but not committing just yet.
Gra knows lots of good routes out there.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:17 AM   #160
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef in Oz
When I went to Mungo with Andrew and Uncle Gra from Leeton we stayed on the northern side of the river & sturt Hwy and came out just before Balranald, easy dirt road and no traffic . Better check with Pooncarie as I believe they don't always have fuel available.
Easy 'dirt' road. How long did it take you to clean off the mud? Or was there another reason for the total re-build? And how many times did you blokes manage to take 'a rest'? My top score in one ride is 3, I don't think I am anywhere near yours, am I?

Maaayyyyttte. Don't be shy, let them know the full details. We'll all get a laugh.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #161
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
Easy 'dirt' road. How long did it take you to clean off the mud? Or was there another reason for the total re-build? And how many times did you blokes manage to take 'a rest'? My top score in one ride is 3, I don't think I am anywhere near yours, am I?

Maaayyyyttte. Don't be shy, let them know the full details. We'll all get a laugh.
Ray the section your talking about was Mungo to Ivanhoe. Freshly graded Clay with 11mm rain pouring down as we got to it , yep that bit was a very slippery bastard bit .

The trip to Mungo was good, no issues there or are we talking about your efforts to get to Mungo .

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #162
dobbo
dirt dog

Thanks Detlef, (& Aussie Steve)

Have spoke to Kimpo, looks like we'll sit on the northern side of the Murrumbigee to Balranald.
Fuel is a bit of an issue, and we are not counting on any being available at Pooncarie. So riding from Balranald to Pooncarie then a return trip to Top Hut then onto Menindee is around 500km; without allowing for a bit of a look around Mungo.
So we have decided to get to Mildura before heading to Pooncarie (this route saves us about 100km+) I'll be right with the big tank, but the others will need to carry a spare 5-10lts, just in case.
The rest of the trip to Cameron's Corner should be no further than 300km between refuel stops.
Will need to chat to you about your trip when you return.

Aussie; are you up for a trip to the corner. Back the following weekend???

Cheers
Dobbo
Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #163
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Dobbo,

I have been having a think and have put a request in to see if I can extend my leave.

What is the full story mate, cant see any more than you are planning to head to Wilcannia and then on to Camerons.
What sort of route and time frame.
How many in the group.
What you planning for camping.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 AM   #164
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
At this stage I am still in for the Pooncarrie/Top Hut/Mungo section of the ride if you don't mind me tagging along . Pirate said he won't be going so if I don't catch up with you guys I will probably be on my own. I will have to look at carrying extra fuel, maybe I will have to sacrifice some of my beer carrying capacity.

On another note -
I found out tonight that there is a write up and photo of myself
at the Alpine Rally in the latest Australian Motorcycle News magazine so you should feel privileged to be in the company of such a celebrity.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 AM   #165
dobbo
dirt dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trokel
At this stage I am still in for the Pooncarrie/Top Hut/Mungo section of the ride if you don't mind me tagging along . Pirate said he won't be going so if I don't catch up with you guys I will probably be on my own. I will have to look at carrying extra fuel, maybe I will have to sacrifice some of my beer carrying capacity.

On another note -
I found out tonight that there is a write up and photo of myself
at the Alpine Rally in the latest Australian Motorcycle News magazine so you should feel privileged to be in the company of such a celebrity.
Hi Trokel,

Me and Kimpo are leaving on Thursday 29 Oct and travelling on the Nth side of the Murrumbidgee to Balranald, Then to Buronga (near Mildura) then up to Pooncarie for Friday night - TopHut Saturday - then on our way.
Need to keep an eye on fuel around this part.

Cheers
Dobbo