User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 AM   #481
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Just thought I would share what I have been up to

The 2010 KLR rally was on last weekend. Apart from some bad weather it was a great get together . Here are some pics.

After some rather steep hills that put me to the test I came across this view of Khancoban while having a look around the area on Sunday.

Major Clews Hut

Also Since I can't make it to Jingellic I have taken some time off and will be catching up with the Cancer Relay at Omeo on Wednesday and will be following them through to Walhalla Rd on Friday.

trokel screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 03:18 AM
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 AM   #482
alburyscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Ok ok, for those of you who think i am not real........ ASK RAY! I met him at the ride on the weekend (after a few beers).
So there, i DO exist and even ride sometimes.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #483
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by alburyscott
Ok ok, for those of you who think i am not real........ ASK RAY! I met him at the ride on the weekend (after a few beers).
Yeah, but if Ray was pissed...........................................: lol3

PS I have crossed to the dark side and bought a DR650 -the BM was proving too heavy in the rougher stuff and I will now use it for tar and formed dirt roads touring.
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #484
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane
Yeah, but if Ray was pissed...........................................: lol3

PS I have crossed to the dark side and bought a DR650 -the BM was proving too heavy in the rougher stuff and I will now use it for tar and formed dirt roads touring.
Why didn't you get a KLR? Was it because you couldn't handle that much power?

Quote:
Ahh - now it all makes sense. alburyscott is actually Ray's alter ego.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #485
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trokel
Why didn't you get a KLR? Was it because you couldn't handle that much power?

Yep, scared of whiplash ..................and if I remember rightly the back brake gives up under hard riding
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 05-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #486
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
PS I have crossed to the dark side and bought a DR650 -the BM was proving too heavy in the rougher stuff and I will now use it for tar and formed dirt roads touring.[/quote]

Oh no, you could have at least bought a BMW 650, what can I say shame shame shame....

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:49 AM   #487
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef in Oz
Oh no, you could have at least bought a BMW 650, what can I say shame shame shame.... [/quote]

Sincerest apologies Detlef, but with 9 BMs in the shed already I reckon you could find it in your heart to forgive me this one slight transgression
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #488
Eso Teric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane
Quote:
Oh no, you could have at least bought a BMW 650, what can I say shame shame shame....
Yep i could have sold you my light weight 210kg 650 BM, but the red seat might have sent the price sky high

Alburyscott, never fear, being an alter ego of Scray is far far better than being an alter ego of a KLR rider with a tendency to break down and iffy rear brakes or a BM rider with a red seat, that can't ride and spends too much time at work, ... oh wait ...!!

When are we all having a 'dinner and ales' get together?

Also, wheres clangers? is he ok? haven't heard (read) from him in ages

Cheers all

Anonymous
-Modern society is forcing the Darwinian process to become redundant

Eso Teric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #489
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso Teric
Yep i could have sold you my light weight 210kg 650 BM, but the red seat might have sent the price sky high
And here was me thinking you didn't know the true value of that gorgeous red seat.............
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #490
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob
Local knowledge required please chaps!!
If I was to want a feed on a Sat nite, and then stealth camp in or near town somewhere, would it be Collingullie, Uranquinty or Mangoplah??
Thanks chaps!!
Sorry Bob, I've not been getting much opportunity on the web lately. Been pulling KTMs & Yamahas to pieces - and putting them back together again

Also been dealing with a certain 13 year old who seems to think that he can infuse mathematics, rather than actually spend any time doing the work. I posed the question that, if he wanted to plant a tree, would he have to have a hole first, or would it grow just by plonking it on the ground? He came up with the correct answer, then spent hours doing 'maths on line'. He can do it, just doesn't want to do the work.

Anyway. I suspect that any answer to your question is a little bit overdue, since it was last weekend that you were down here (with SBSP?) and attending a race meeting.
In any event, Mangoplah pub is the only one of the three I've been to and it's changed owners since then.
You could do a stealth camp, I believe, on the river bank east of Collingullie. Kohlhagen's Road, leads down to a common on the river bank. Popular with skiers, around 4-5km east of Collingullie. Not the greatest of sites though, since it is so popular with skiers & lots of people create losts of mess.
The 'Gullie pub has a good reputation.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #491
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso Teric
Thanks Scray, like just the head bearing wasn't enough

Interesting piece of info, i measured my trail (or is it rake? lol) and i found it was 5.5 inches, apparently anything over 4 inches makes the bike very hard to steer during low speed cornering, yet when i looked at the specs for my bike, the trail (or is it rake??) is spec'd at 4.5 inches!! I measured it with someone on the bike and on a flat ground, i think i did it correctly as per the instructions, is it out and is that unusual to have such a high trail (or is that ...rake...)?

Dobbo, sad to hear about your get off, get well soon and hurry up so you can teach me how to ride dirt properly (am considering getting a DR450, just to ride dirt). "Semper Paratus" was our motto in the WA VF&RS (1st responders).

Alburyscott, would you (and others of course) be interested in just meeting up for dinner and drinks sometime? An ale would be just right for the winter ?

Eso
Eso. Rake is measured in degrees - measured ahead of vertical - ie forward from the 6 o'clock position.
It is essentially the steering head angle, but don't forget the steering head is very occasionally designed to be at a different angle to the forks.
The steering head offset - centre of the steering head to the midpoint of the line between the centre of the forks, is relevant to steering & measuring your trail.
Trail is a linear measurement. Not exactly certain which it is, but you extend a line through the steering head to ground, or through the forks to the ground (someone??). Drop a vertical line from the centre of the axle to the ground. The distance between the two is the trail. Each bike will be different, but 90 - 120mm is pretty ball park. Shorter for faster steering, Longer for stability.

In the absence of directions otherwise, I would be doing those measurements with an unladen bike. Otherwise, the measurements would need to be taken with a 'standard' load, in a 'standard' position, which can be problematic for suspension work in different locations.

Front & rear spring pre-load & the distance the forks are through the triple clamps will effect the measurements.

I'm no mechanic, so I'll stand fully corrected on anything above.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #492
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 801
Wink

Close, but no cigar. To measure trail, run a line through the steering axis to the ground, this should hit the ground in front of the vertical line dropped from the axle. The distance between these 2 points is the trail.

Sorry, just re-read your post, you had it right, but the line runs through the steering axis, not the forks.

And Eso, don't worry about the red seat, its only those wankers that are behind you that can see it anyway. Red seats are classy.

Woody2627 screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 11:12 PM
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #493
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
Sorry Bob, I've not been getting much opportunity on the web lately. Been pulling KTMs & Yamahas to pieces - and putting them back together again

Also been dealing with a certain 13 year old who seems to think that he can infuse mathematics, rather than actually spend any time doing the work. I posed the question that, if he wanted to plant a tree, would he have to have a hole first, or would it grow just by plonking it on the ground? He came up with the correct answer, then spent hours doing 'maths on line'. He can do it, just doesn't want to do the work.

Anyway. I suspect that any answer to your question is a little bit overdue, since it was last weekend that you were down here (with SBSP?) and attending a race meeting.
In any event, Mangoplah pub is the only one of the three I've been to and it's changed owners since then.
You could do a stealth camp, I believe, on the river bank east of Collingullie. Kohlhagen's Road, leads down to a common on the river bank. Popular with skiers, around 4-5km east of Collingullie. Not the greatest of sites though, since it is so popular with skiers & lots of people create losts of mess.
The 'Gullie pub has a good reputation.
Thanks for that Ray, good for future reference. Yes, SBSP and I were on tour for the weekend, so after leaving Jingellic, we went across to Mangoplah, but no good vibes at the pub so we pushed on thru the Rock, Uranquinty, Wagga Wagga (note correct use of both Wagga's! ) and ended up at the Hotel Junee. After Mark set them straight about the quality of their Old, we had a few quiet ones and an awesome feed.
Mark ran for home earlt Sun while I backtracked to the Amcross event and caught up with Nowra locals before a nice ridew home
Collingullie sounds like the go! Next time!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #494
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627
Close, but no cigar. To measure trail, run a line through the steering axis to the ground, this should hit the ground in front of the vertical line dropped from the axle. The distance between these 2 points is the trail.

Sorry, just re-read your post, you had it right, but the line runs through the steering axis, not the forks.

And Eso, don't worry about the red seat, its only those wankers that are behind you that can see it anyway. Red seats are classy.
Hey Eso, sell it to him while he thinks it's great. LOL

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #495
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 801
Laugh

Quote:
Hey Eso, sell it to him while he thinks it's great. LOL
Sorry, dont need 2.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote