Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #211
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitar
I just read through this whole thing and can't wait to see it done.

I so wish I had some garage space and 1/8 of the knowledge to get into something like this.

Thanks for taking the time to write and post it all up.
Well if you have 1/8 the knowledge then you are good to go cause I dont know shit about Brit bikes. As the norm with me I learn from my mistakes. And believe you me there have been a lot of them over the years.

You know what the biggest thing I have learned working on this... Its just metal.. You really cant hurt it that much that it cant be fixed one way or another. Dont be afraid to dive into a project just because of fear of screwing something up. Dont dive in blind mind ya. Do some reasearch 1st and think about what you want to do. But when the time comes just dive in. When its all said and done you really cant screw things up that much if you pay attention to the details.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #212
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Well not a lot new to report. Still waiting on a front sprocket. With that I should be able to install the chain and then the chain tensioner. Then see if I need to do something to keep the chain from hitting the oil tank. And then..maybe mount the rear fender.

But in the meanwhile I scored a diff top tripple clamp off ebay for $10 that might fix my bar/tank clearance issues.

after a cleaning and some paint

and sitting on top the stock clamp. Def moves the bars forward. Maybe too much although I dont think it will be that bad. Worse case I find some bars with more pullback. Well see. Maybe tomorrow Ill bolt it on once the paint has had a chance to cure. If it dont work out..back to ebay it goes.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #213
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Much better. Plenty of bar clearance and the bar/seat position isnt that bad either. I think this is going to work just fine. I have some fork bugs to work out because of the top clamp swap but shouldnt be hard. Basicaly I have to lower the front end because the top clamp raised it 1". I can just put in some more spacers in the fork and maybe trim the springs a little. That should do the trick.

Before

After

Bars clear waaay better.

I likes the looks of this better. Cleans the top clamp up. Never liked the rearward bar mounts of the stocker.

And I was able to use my spare set of headlight ears this time. They were too short for the stock clamp. But with a little triming they fit this setup perfect. And the ears arnt all cracked up.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #214
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Any further progress?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #215
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Nope. Been waiting on parts..... again.

The chain I bought turns out wont work. Its an x-ring chain and aparently there isnt enough side clearance for a x-ring chain. So that is getting returned today and a std 530 chain shipped today.

Once I have the chain I can figure out my chain tensioner location and fender mount, and fender/chain clearance issues.

I did get some fork spacers in this week as well as another tank rubber. Remember I had cut the rubbers down (well at least one of them down) to clear the bars with the other clamp. Well with this top clamp setup I can run the tank higher up in the front. So a new rubber spacer was ordered.

The fork spacers are to lower the forks. Ill post up latter with some pictures describing what I am up to. Hopefully it works out ok. I have to pull the entire front end off....again and break the forks down again. I really hate doing that. But I am getting good at it.

That and I have to trim down my headlight ears a tad. They are too tall and I cant tighten down the steering bearings because of it. I already cut them down a little. Just need a little more grinding and Ill be there. I thought I had it but aparently not.

I also need to break the front tire back down off the rim. The bead wont seat in one spot. I was outta baby powder when I installed it so Im sure if I powder the hell outta it and lube the bead up but good it will pop on. Just havent gotten that far yet.

So things are happening....just nothing real visual. Ive actually been getting outside a little. went ice riding on my CRF100/pitbike and went downhill skiing. So thats been taking up a little time/$

Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #216
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Bump?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #217
scumshine
Hershey bar & a brick

Oddometer: 1,357
Nicze!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #218
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot

Love the cycle pedal on the kickstart.

Great thread, can't wait to see it complete.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #219
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses
Bump?
About the same as last time. I havent been working it at all lattey. kinda burned myself out on it again.

I did get the fork spacers installed and lowered the front end. But now I have one sticky fork so back apart it comes again. And Im going to have to cut the fork springs down a little as well as there is too much preload on them now with the added spacers.

Piece by piece.

Id post up some picts but it aint much diff than the last time you saw it. Its just little details Ive been playing with. Nothing major.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #220
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman
About the same as last time. I havent been working it at all lattey. kinda burned myself out on it again.
Hang in there, dude. I'm sure a project like this is heavily dependent on inspiration, and sometimes the inspiration just isn't there. I'm sure it'll be back.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #221
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

You know whats really fustrating..... You go all OCD on a tiny little inspection plug sanding the hell outta it till its perfect. Wander outside and hit up the buffing wheel till it starts to gleam like a mirror..

Only to have the edge catch on the wheel and have it ripped outta my hand and unceremoniously flung against the back wall of the shed.... DAHHHHHHH....

Yep you guessed it...back to the sandpaper...son-of-a ... sigh .... such is life.

I have been working on it a little. Pictures to follow. Mostly just sanding aluminum bits to make them shiny. What a tedius job but wow does it look nice in the end. Im slowly getting better at it. And with each piece I do they look better and better. Problem with that is I will probably have to go back and hit the early pieces again as they look shabby in comparison.

So now I only have the clutch cover, inner timing cover, valve cover and rear fender to sand and polish.... yep its going to take a while.

Bike has been totaly disassebled again. Parts are going to get soda blasted tomorrow. The engine cases and front wheel drum cover mostly as they are just raw cast aluminum. They should clean up nicly.

Then its engine assy time. Well as far as I can go without a clutch, head, or bored/sandblasted/painted cylinder. Basicaly assemble the bottom end and ignition side of the motor.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #222
hoggjaww
DOG ASS

Oddometer: 734
Quote:

I have been working on it a little. Pictures to follow. Mostly just sanding aluminum bits to make them shiny. What a tedius job but wow does it look nice in the end. Im slowly getting better at it. And with each piece I do they look better and better. Problem with that is I will probably have to go back and hit the early pieces again as they look shabby in comparison.
Keep plugging away man. I am enjoying this build, and have been there done that.

Harry
hoggjaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #223
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:

...Only to have the edge catch on the wheel and have it ripped outta my hand and unceremoniously flung against the back wall of the shed.... DAHHHHHHH....
I did that with a one-off, custom intake tract. Talk about a sinking feeling as ytou walk over to find where the damned thing landed. At that poiint fresh scratches are not the biggest concern. I thought for sure I had destroyed it. Must've been my lucky day; except for the flining part.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #224
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Ok lets see.

Tue night in about 45 min I went fron this

to this

Then I went about buffing a few pieces that were laying around. The 2 BSA logos and sump pump cover.

Then tackled the timing plugs (yes the one that got away from me on the buffer)

Then did some masking off of the front brake drum cover and motor so I could soda blast them.

You remember that front brake.

well masked off the edge so I wouldnt soda blast it.

And attacked it with the soda blaster. A quick trip thru the parts washer, some sanding on the edge and some time on the buffing wheel and wala

Then onto the engine cases

and after soda blasting, parts washer, and cleaning up the gasket surfaces.

Next up. Tear the RH fork back apart for some fine tuning. Its sticking rather bad. I have a spacer or bushing that needs some love.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #225
sparkymoto
learning a lot here

Oddometer: 203
incredible effort. it's going to pay off big time. it's one of those "i'm never going to sell this" kind of bikes you know?
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote