Oddometer: 917
Thumb

Yep - this thread is always the first thing I "trawl" for when I sign on
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #272
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
This thread is awesome! I always like the looks of those bobbers. And bsa always appealed to me too. Keep it up.

I just read this straight through. I guess now I should stop being lazy and go work on my bike. Damn electrical system!
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #273
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Well quick update.

I have been doing a little work on the bike again.

I installed a window air conditioner in the bike shop so its tolerable to work in there again. Its been bloody hot as hell this week.

Got busy sanding on the gas tank. I have never done much in the way of body work so this is a new one to me. If you recall the tank had 2 small dings in the top painted surface. So I had primed the tank with etching primer and filled the dings with spot putty, sanded and reprimed and re-puttyd. And thats where it sat. Finially got around to sanding it some more. Once I got the filler smoothed out and re-primed I hit it with 600grit till it was like glass and one final coat of primer. It is ready for paint.

But now its too damn hot and humid to paint. So the tank goes back on the shelf till it cools down again. That and I dont have any paint for it anyways.

What kind of paint should I use. I know nothing about paint other than it comes outta a spray can. I dont want to have the paint come off if I spill gas on it during fill ups. So whats the process? I have a friend that is pretty good at painting. He has a paint gun and all that. So Ill have him help. Just not sure what kinda paint/s I should be getting. Im just going to paint the top of the tank red to match the tank badges and be done with it. No fancy pearls or metal flakes for me.

So I also got to tracking down some parts Ill be needing. Gotta rebuild the petcocks and found a place in england that sells push/pull o-ring sealed replacement plungers to eliminate the cork seals that I hear leak.

My BSA guy has the center chrome trim, Ill probably drive over next week and get that. Im trying to get all the tank parts so I can finish it and be done with it. Check it off the list and set it aside.

Did a little more grinding and welding on the frame to further de-tab it and fill some holes that needed filling. Its looking better now. Still needs a little grinding but its getting there.

Not much photo wise to show though.

Oh I also started doing a little research on new rims. Mine are solid but rusty. Not to mention heavy as hell. Well I somehow got it in my head that I need Akront aluminum shoulderd rims on this. Ive seen a few recently and they make me drool. So Ive been looking online for some and firing off emails to Buchanin about all things spokes. I know nothing about spoke patterns, wheel drilling and all that. Hopefully they can shed some light on what I should be looking for. I need a 40 spoke WM3 18" and WM1 19". The 18" dosnt look to be a problem finding. The 19 could be an issue. Well see.

Thats about it for now. Im real close to putting in a parts order for some motor parts so I can start getting the motor back together. Ive been draging my feet on that. I need to get off my ass and get it back together before I forget how it goes together.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #274
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Im a week week man.....

I had a moment of insanity this morning.... and ended up with 2 of these

two new 19" WM1 Akront shoulderd 40 spoke aluminum wheels.

I only need one so the other will be going back up for sale.

Then just need the 18" rear and some spokes and no more heavy rusty wheels for me.

The 18's are pretty easy to come by. But the 19" are pretty rare from what Ive seen. So I jumped on them.

Just got word that we are getting a little bonus at work so there might be a big parts order going in very soon. Cross your fingers.

YZman screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 06:34 AM
Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #275
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,245
Woohoo! Slow progress is still progress. Good luck on your bonus.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #276
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

....Takes a deep breath....

Closes eyes....

And hits the "submit order" button

This is going to hurt
Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #277
gnuse
Ride to Fly

Oddometer: 272
YZman, you are obviously talented, driven, and a gentleman for sharing the experience. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #278
SimonZayne
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great build thread, thanks for all they updates.
SimonZayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #279
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuse
YZman, you are obviously talented, driven, and a gentleman for sharing the experience. Thank you!

Thanks... I havent laughed that hard in a while

Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #280
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Made a few new tools this week

1st is a clutch hub holding tool made from 2 old clutch/steel plates welded together

And the other is a 1-1/2 deep well socket to tighten the front sprocket nut. I couldnt find a socket deep enough so I made one outta a std depth socket cut in half and extended 2" with some tubing. Turned out pretty good.

I gots lots more exciting stuff lined up. But none of it is quite ready so youll just have to wait a little longer. Work is being done. Progress is being made.

OH and I got those Akront front rims in. Holly shit are they nice. I hit one up with some aluminum polish and it shins like chrome. Im geeked big time. Not just gotta find me a matching rear.

YZman screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 06:07 PM
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #281
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Todays quick project was rebuilding the stock Ewarts push/pull fuel petcocks. The stock cork seals are long gone, not that they were ever worth a shit when new. From what I have read most people that have these gave up on the cork and replaced them with Triumph petcocks.

Well I dont want to do that. I like the push pull petcocks. They are unique. So I did a bit of searching and found some replacement inners that use orings. Sold. They wernt cheep but work very well. Take out one screw, valve slides out. Lube up the new oring valve, slide it in, put the screw back in. Done.

new o-ring valve on top/ old cork valve on bottom

Oh and the barb fittings are also new. The stock fuel lines screwed on. The new ones will slide on.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #282
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,479
Those push pulls are cool, glad you took time to get them sorted... way more unique than a set of taps.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #283
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

All righty. Goodys have arrived by the big brown truckload

new headlight bucket and bulb

new trim for the tank

big pile of electrical

brand new carbs and filters

some rear fender mounting parts

Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #284
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

And the motor is going back together.

1st up is get the crank in and end play shimmed correctly. I screwed two 2x6 to my bench for a motor support / stand and bolted the crank in place and checked the end play. Took me like 7x pulling the crank in and out before I finially got the end play where I was happy wiith it

crank going in

cam going in

bolted together on its side with a metal plate I made bolted to it side

Dial indicator w/ magnetic base in place

Crank and cam all cozy back in there home

Oil pump and cam gears back in place and timed

New clutch plates, steel plates, and primary chain.

New wassal 200watt stator and new sparx flywheel

clutch and stator back in place.

Tranny installed. shifter shaft and kickstarter shaft installed and inner timing cover bolted in place
Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #285
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

I also bought a new clutch pushrod/adjuster kit from Lowbrow and installed that. Supposed to be better than stock and it was only $30.

Just droped off my cylinder today to get that bored oversize for the new pistons. Should be back latter this week hopefully.

Might have the top end buttoned back up this weekend. Then just need to get a degree wheel so I can setup the ignition. Still need to read up on that a little.

Then the frame gets a little more grinding on then it goes back together and motor goes in so I can finialize the fender mount and chain tensioner location as well as coil and ignition module mounting. Once that is done it all gets striped down once again. Gets sandblasted and p-coated. I have that lined up already. We have powdercoaters that we use thru work so I have connections ie cheep.