junk collector

Oddometer: 1,930
Wow! nothing but the best stuff!
jeep44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #287
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,261

we need a icon of a wallet with $ flying out of it.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #288
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny

we need a icon of a wallet with $ flying out of it.
might be a good logo to paint on it somewhere.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #289
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Quote:
we need a icon of a wallet with $ flying out of it
might be a good logo to paint on it somewhere
Well I have been thinking this bike needs a name or logo on it or something ....

The motor has cost a lot more to rebuild than I origionaly guestimated it would. Thats cool though. Im not keeping track. But you can see why its taken as long as it has. That last parts order was a doozy.

Question. What does BTDC mean? I know that TDC = Top Dead Center. But whats the Btdc?

The ignition says to put the motor at BTDC and set the timing. Im a little puzzled.

YZman screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 04:49 AM
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #290
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 12,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman
Well I have been thinking this bike needs a name or logo on it or something ....

The motor has cost a lot more to rebuild than I origionaly guestimated it would. Thats cool though. Im not keeping track. But you can see why its taken as long as it has. That last parts order was a doozy.

Question. What does BTDC mean? I know that TDC = Top Dead Center. But whats the Btdc?

The ignition says to put the motor at BTDC and set the timing. Im a little puzzled.
Before TDC. Usually the manual will sat set the ignition to 5 degrees BTDC to set static timing. Should be good enough to get it started. That 5 degrees is just a number I pulled out of thin air by the way.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #291
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54
Before TDC. Usually the manual will sat set the ignition to 5 degrees BTDC to set static timing. Should be good enough to get it started. That 5 degrees is just a number I pulled out of thin air by the way.
Ok that helps. I know on some of these motors they have an opening in the front of the inner timing cover that you insert a timing plug/stop into to find this position.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TDC-p...Q5fAccessories

Mine dosnt have that. There is a pointer behind the inspection cover of the clutch and a timing mark on the flywheel. Could that be it? Ill read up a bit I guess.

Ok I read up. It apears that The timing plug locks into the crank thru the RH case (not the inner timing cover) the 69 uses a diff plug than the eariler models (like the one listed above) so I need another tool. And I have to find that hole in my cases. Time to dig thru the pictures cause I cant wait till I get home to find it ya know.

edit: found it. Its the little hex plug in the RH engine case towards the bottom

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...9/P4030072.jpg

This might be the tool I need

http://cgi.ebay.com/Triumph-Twin-Top...item2c55ea2f7b

YZman screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 06:09 AM
Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #292
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,261
Dial gauge would probably work too.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #293
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

My BSA guru said to just line that pointer on the clutch cover up with the line on the flywheel and eyeball that hole in the case with the hole in the crank and that should be close enough. No tools needed. Maybe put a drill bit in that crank hole and center it in the case hole while lining up the flywheel with the pointer. Should get me where I need to be. Worth a shot.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #294
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 12,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman
My BSA guru said to just line that pointer on the clutch cover up with the line on the flywheel and eyeball that hole in the case with the hole in the crank and that should be close enough. No tools needed. Maybe put a drill bit in that crank hole and center it in the case hole while lining up the flywheel with the pointer. Should get me where I need to be. Worth a shot.
Sounds good to me. It's not the space shuttle after all.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #295
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Well while I wait for my cylinder to get bored oversized I attempted to lay some paint on the tank. Im thinking its still too damn humid as the paint just aint laying down correctly. Wet sand and wait till It cools off is my only option I guess. I hate waiting on the weather.

So Ill sit and stare at the rear fender and try and come up with a good way to mount it. I have an idea. Not so sure I like it still. But its better than nothing. Well see how it works out. I want it to look clean. Not sure this is it.

Fender 1" away from tire with some vinyl tubing

So while I am contemplating my fender mounts I machined up some chain adjuster blocks. Just gotta weld them on.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #296
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
I'm hooked.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #297
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

I got my cylinder back and ready to install

Pistons with new rings ready to go in

And a new 18" WM3 Akront rear hoop arrived last week to compliment the 19" front I got a few weeks back.

I started mocking up my carbs and air filters trying to get an idea where to mount my coils and ignition modules. And I came across a few issues.

1. The air filters I bought are too deep. They measure 2-3/4 and hit the frame. K&N makes a 2-1/2" deep filter that looks like it will clear. It looks like these filters would of worked with the stock Amal carbs but wont work with the Keihn's I have. The new carbs are deeper than the Amals. Oh well. Only $$.

2. The other thing I found is that the new coils are a smaller diameter than the stock coils and the coil brackets wont work. But a quick search found some sweet aluminum brackets at a online dune buggy shop of all places.

So I think I have the coil and ignition module mounting locations ironed out. Not quite as hidden as I would like but there really isnt anyplace to hide them so I guess it is what it is. Pictures to follow.

My hill climber/welder buddy is in New York this last weekend so no frame welding. Might be able to get something welded up this week though.

YZman screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 05:53 PM
Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #298
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Pistons installed. Last time this motor had pistons in it they looked much MUCH worse.

Its not so much fun installing the cylinder on a parallel twin when both pistons go up together. It was a bit of a challange compressing the rings of both pistons at the same time to get the cylinder to drop. But its done.

And I am stuck again. Missing 2 head studs and 2 of my bolts are wrong for this cylinder. Back to my BSA guy I guess. I think the missing studs are in the old 500 cylinder which is now at the city dump. Bummer. Oh well. Its just $$.

And I figured out the paint ussue on my Tank. Got it cleared tonight. Looks pretty good. Ill get some picts up latter once its unmasked and re-assembled. Needs to cure for a few days before I mess with it.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #299
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,134
I don't know you guys, but to me this is starting to get pretty exciting.

It's nice to see the engine going back together, keep up the good work!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #300
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Ugg gotta pull my cylinder back off and get 2 holes drilled and tapped. The 2 bolts that dont fit the threaded holes in the cylinder need to fit the cylinder. So back off the cylinder goes and off to my BSA guy (he has the correct tap)

Sigh....