Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #451
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
So last night I was at my buddies that is working on the Triumph motor. He said he had been beating on that tranny bearing for 2 days and it wont move. Now he tends to be a better mechanic than me.

I went out to the shop and the trany seal was still in place. He said it kept crumbling when he tried to take it out (seal is trashed he knew that going in) Im like seal has to come out, pry that bitch out. it came out fairly easy and lo and behold...there is a clip behind it holding the bearing in. Pop the clip out and the bearing comes out easy as can be.

Some peoples kids...sheesh....
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #452
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman View Post
So last night I was at my buddies that is working on the Triumph motor. He said he had been beating on that tranny bearing for 2 days and it wont move. Now he tends to be a better mechanic than me.

I went out to the shop and the trany seal was still in place. He said it kept crumbling when he tried to take it out (seal is trashed he knew that going in) Im like seal has to come out, pry that bitch out. it came out fairly easy and lo and behold...there is a clip behind it holding the bearing in. Pop the clip out and the bearing comes out easy as can be.

Some peoples kids...sheesh....
i tell mine all the time, after watching them struggle with something for a while, "if it's hard, you're doing it wrong."
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #453
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

I did get in something for the BSA today. An NOS 1969 un-issued license plate. New in the paper wraper.

In Michigan we can use a plate of the year the veichle was made to register it as a historic veichle. And its a lifetime plate.

Technicaly your only supposed to drive a historic veichle to a show/parade or to get maintance done on it. Hey its British...its always getting Maintance done to it

Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #454
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Just thought Id throw a quick update out there.

And that is to report...that there is nothing new to report.

Ive been freeking busy as hell lattely. Was on vacation for 2 weeks out west and last week had to move my GF out of her house.

But I did manage to go to a vintage bike show this weekend and snapped a few picts for yas.

this is I believe some sort of double triumph drag bike. Dirt or pavement...your guess is as good as mine.

Then how about a triumph powered....honda minibike! Actually saw that one run...scarry to say the least.

Saw this cool rat rod bobber. XS 650 I think.

Thats about it. Friend sent me a link to some electrical connectors. So I should be getting them on order soon so I can get started on the wireing harness soon. But I also need to replace a clutch basket on my KTM so you can probably guess which one is going to come 1st...(dirtbike of course duh )
Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #455
sparkymoto
learning a lot here

Oddometer: 202
Cool pics! LOVE that license plate.
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #456
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Someone stop me PLEEAAASSEEEE!!!!!!

http://muskegon.craigslist.org/mcy/2470278036.html
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #457
ishdishwishfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Your area is always the place to go for good stuff! You're off the beaten path. I found a triumph 550 frame in Elkhart, In. he said 100 bucks he'd take. Nice guy.

http://southbend.craigslist.org/mcy/2411860335.html

That guy's been posting the yam/norton for about a month. What's he mean by box of goodies?
You could cobble something together, but did you check craigs for brit bikes in the cold months?
It seemed like last feb., march, even earlier they really come out of the woodwork. I haven't seen any lately.

Commando, $4550
http://southbend.craigslist.org/mcy/2411860335.html
ishdishwishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #458
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
at first read, I thought that new plate of yours was P.O.S.48, but quickly realized it was a 5, not an S. Sorry

I did look at my basket of parts that may be a BSA some year. just looked, nothing other than a look and a slow shake of my head
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #459
zoo mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Stay away from that XS. There, I said it. You're in Muskegon right? Any local non-Harley bike nights up here?
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #460
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo mob View Post
Stay away from that XS. There, I said it. You're in Muskegon right? Any local non-Harley bike nights up here?
Not that I know of. Cankun Connnection has one on Wed night but it tends to be more of the chrome crowd.

Best one I know of is Pizza Ria Grande on Belding road in GR on Monday nights. Lots of sportbikes and customs. Very few of the credit card chrome crowd.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #461
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,223
New forum BUMP!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #462
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Thanks

Still no headway. Been doing a lot of work on my house getting it ready to put it on the market and get out of this shit hole neighborhood I live in. Headin to the country I am. Nicer house, Big garage (no more bedroom bike shop) We found an awsome house w/ radiant heat (garage is heated even) Im sooo hoping we get this one. We have turned down several houses already that had too many issues. This one is a winner. If we can get it.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #463
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,223
Any progress on bike or house?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #464
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

No and yes.

Funny.. I was just thinking of posting up an update.

Havent done anything to the bike this summer. Really want to. Just isnt in the cards. Not that its all that expensive. Just havent had the time.

This summer I had to paint the outside of my house, replace all the facia boards around the roof. Finish the underside of my carport roof with 1/4" plywood. Replace my front door.Paint the inside wall around the door. Paint my bedroom. Paint the spare bedroom. De-calk, sand and recalk all my windows and repaint them as well as replace a few pains of glass. And try to hold down a full time job and have a life.

So that has pretty much taken up all my spare time and money this summer. Well... that and dirtbiking...cause that will never take a back seat to anything.

As for the house search we just closed Tue night. We have looked all summer for a house. Had a few possibles but something always happened. The one we ended up getting is a short sale that we thought wasnt going to happen. Had actually wrote it off the list and it came back at the last minute.

So this Sunday we start moving GF into the house and then once she is settled we will start moving my clutter out so my house shows better and sell that off.

Also I finially got around to filing my divorce papers and that should be final this month as well. Once that is final Ill be moving into the new house.

Good news is the new house has Hot water radiant heat in the floors w/ nat gas and the garage is heated. Its a tri leval house and there is a room in the lower level that will be my new man cave. Its 19x16. Plans are already in the works to make some work benches and get it setup proper.

So hopefully by December Ill have the shop somewhat setup and Ill be back in business.

1st order of business will be making the wireing harness.
Then find some oil lines.
make sure the oil pump is working
try to start it up

then strip it all down and have some final welding on the frame done and get it all powdercoated.

Also I need to cut the hubs out of the wheels and get those striped and powdercoated so I can lace up my new Akronts with STST spokes.

Then its just final assembly

that doesnt sound like all that much work but I am sure it will take up most of the winter knowing the speed I work.

I think I also have to send my Barnette throttle cables back to get them re-worked. I need a 90deg connector added out of the carbs and shorten the cable like an inch. I dont like how they are sitting right now. They bend pretty sharp coming out of the carb to clear the tank. They seem to bind a little.That and the length is a little off and the 2-1 connector is not where I want it.

So hang in there. Ill hopefully be back at it soon...after all... it will be snowing soon and what the hell else do I have to do!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #465
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
^^^

i would DIE if i lived in cold. i'm too lazy and i'd never do ANY of that maintenance stuff that is accelerated because of that climate and my house would eventualy fall in on me.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote