Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #511
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
Are you trying to keep us on the edge of our seats with these little teasers?

Should you have drilled the frame? How will you keep the oil in now, silicone around the grommets?

A good looking tool box by the way, all of my tools would fit in the little side cabinet
Ill have to keep ya on the edge of your seat for a little anyways. Im in Florida this week.

The older Bsa`s didn't have oil in the frames. They didn't start doing that till 1970 I think. More concerned with keeping it in the motor. They do have a reputation of being leakers.

Yea that tool box is bigger than I need for now. But I will get more tools over time. Would rather get the extra room the 1st. time
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #512
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman View Post
The older Bsa`s didn't have oil in the frames. They didn't start doing that till 1970 I think. More concerned with keeping it in the motor. They do have a reputation of being leakers.
I know, hence the smiley, my poor attempt at humour. That black tank on the right side of tthe frame in the early pictures was also a bit of a clue

A lot of he leaks were the primary chain case seams, I believe that most of it was caused by DIY owners over tightening the bolts. Perhaps there is a belt conversion that you can use that will at least solve that issue.

Enjoy Florida, hopefully sunny and warm.

Packer screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 12:26 AM Reason: Added section
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #513
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
I know, hence the smiley, my poor attempt at humour. That black tank on the right side of tthe frame in the early pictures was also a bit of a clue

A lot of he leaks were the primary chain case seams, I believe that most of it was caused by DIY owners over tightening the bolts. Perhaps there is a belt conversion that you can use that will at least solve that issue.

Enjoy Florida, hopefully sunny and warm.
Yea. I've seen those belt conversions. But they are upwards of $1000. Way out of my budget. At least for now. That might be a project for another year. Gotta get it running and on the road 1st.

Last day of Florida then we are heading home to the cold. Not looking forward to it.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #514
tex_downey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
eh your in MI.

I came back from CA to IA and was shocked how easy this winter has been.
tex_downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #515
Floyd_ca
Stranger

Oddometer: 26
Slick bike!

I'm excited to see the girl up and running..... Your thread may owe my boss a good day of work..... Hope you can get her on the road this spring!!
Floyd_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #516
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_ca View Post
I'm excited to see the girl up and running..... Your thread may owe my boss a good day of work..... Hope you can get her on the road this spring!!

I dont think Ive ever used the words good day and work in the same sentance before..

Back from Vacation. Did a little work on the wireing. But mostly been busy finding all my tools that are scattered between 3 differant portable tool boxs, several cardboard boxs, the misc cubbies of my truck and motorcycle trailer...take all those tools and arrange them in my new tool box. And in the process of taking inventory of my wrenches made a list of missing sockets and wrenches Il be needing to replace...Hmmmm might have to make a visit to the tool store then.

Wireing has been a little fustrating. Not the wireing itself but running it thru the frame. Actually running it thru the frame is easy. But every time I think I have my grommet sizes figured out I realize I need to get bigger grommets. then I need a way to drill a bigger hole for said grommets. My drills only go to 1/2". No one around here sells a very good grommet selection so its back to Mcmaster Carr for a bag of 100 grommmets plus shipping for the 1-2 grommets that I need for the job. At least Ill have spares huh...
Old 02-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #517
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My drills only go to 1/2". No one around here sells a very good grommet selection so its back to Mcmaster Carr for a bag of 100 grommmets plus shipping for the 1-2 grommets that I need for the job. At least Ill have spares huh...
Use one of these:-

a tapered hole cutter or get a stepped shank drill if the chuck size is a problem.

Just think of all the grommets you'll be able to give to worthy causes

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #518
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Yep. Thats kinda what we have at work. Ive already borrowed it once.

Wasnt real impressed with the hole it cuts. But it got the job done. Still had to grind a massive burr off the back side though.

have managed to get a little organized last night.

Still have a little ways to go

Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #519
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

If you're anything like me that degree of tidyness will last about a week
Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #520
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 707
dangerous precedent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_ca View Post
let's not be rash !
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #521
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Spring is on the way

Probably a while away yet for you but it's coming.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #522
Floyd_ca
Stranger

Oddometer: 26
a week?

Quote:
If you're anything like me that degree of tidyness will last about a week
You can get a week out of it? I'm lucky to get ten minutes into the next job when my garage looks like a F4 tornado went through it..... I can loose an allen key in my hand.....
Floyd_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #523
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Got some new grommets in Friday. And also got the flu also. So that killed any weekend progress. But as soon as I get a 5/8 drill bit I can fix my frame hole sizes and get back to wireing.

But

I also tore into my girlfriends CRF150R this weekend, lubing the rear suspension linkage and whatnot. Still have to grease the steering bearings and chainge the oil this week and that will be done. Gotta finish that project before I can get back to the BSA.

Then have to squeeze in the YZ250F teardown/lube. And Im sure my KTM needs simillar treatment. And like was said above...spring isnt too far away......
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #524
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
And like was said above...spring isnt too far away......
And this project is supposed to be the cure for .."wintertime madness"

You mustn't get distracted by these other, lesser machines. Teach your girlfrend to maintain her own machine, haven't you heard that sexual equality is all the rage and works both ways. Where's the "hide behind the wall" smiley on this forum?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #525
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Yea yea yea... I know.. its just that the dirtbikes are such a huge part of who I am it wont ever be supressed. Im a dirtbiker thru and thru. LOVE woods riding. Tight nasty single track is my passion

Girlfriend actually does want to learn how to fix her own bike. Problem this weekend is that flu I had....guess who I gave it to when I got rid of if??? Yepper....hence why I was hiding in the shop...